• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Preview 4 and 7 -- EBAY SHILLING ON STEROIDS

247 posts in this topic

Jaydogrules - I appreciate your effort to educate the public in the dishonest activities regarding shilling on eBay. But please be careful in your accusations. I too know the seller of the Marvel Preview 7 you mention below, and it was indeed a legitimate sale. Comments below...

Hello Boardies,

Over in the "Wow Marvel Preview 7 Goes Through the Roof" thread (or something to that effect), there has been a lot of intelligent debate as to whether or not these books are "for real" or just two more "flash in the pan" movie books with no legacy of comic book collector interest with temporary wildly inflated prices.

What's the debate? The answer is "both". Sales for these books have been insanely high. Legitimate sales. I first noted this back in January of this year in my Nostomania market report:

Nosto market report: Marvel Preview 7

Funny thing is, while my pricing algorithms were showing unusual activity with this book, at that time I was too stupid to make the connection to GoG and Rocket Raccoon! The fact is, sales have been hot. Will the pricing sustain? Most likely not. Is this the next Amazing Fantasy 15? Of course not! Are these people paying too much? I think so, but that's been going on forever in the comic book market, unfortunately.

On to Marvel Preview 7.

The next obviously shilled auction occurred on this "high grade" raw copy:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=360999724568&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

The underbidding shill in this auction is e**4, with 4 feedback, who had 100% bidding activity with this this seller until I came onto these boards in the other Marvel Preview 7 thread and pointed that out. Subsequent to that, the shill account placed a couple of throw away bids in a couple other auctions, which has led me to believe that these boards are being read by that particular seller.

It should also be noted that the prior high selling priced for a "high grade" copy was only $499...

Another boardie has claimed in the other Marvel Preview 7 thread that he knows the buyer of this book personally. I however find it odd, especially for such a high dollar book, that the buyer did not leave any feedback for the seller, nor did the seller for the buyer after this transaction. That leads me to believe that the sale is either bogus, or either the buyer or seller did not perform.

Ok, I too know this seller personally, in fact I was there years ago when he hand-picked a run of extremely high grade Marvel Previews from a pile of undistributed copies a dealer had at a show in the Twin Cities. This was one of those books. Why the "high grade" in quotes? Look at the book! Chris knows how to grade, probably better than anyone in the midwest.

As far as the "shill" bidder here, this person is indeed a mystery. It does look like a shill bidder, but he/she has nothing to do with Chris.

I actually spoke to Chris about this sale and your post. Your comment about it being so odd there's no feedback? The sale just happened! Chris said the book has gone out and he is of course waiting for feedback. He says when that comes in you can ask the buyer yourself why they paid so much.

I should note I have seen shill bidding in the past on Chris's auctions, on those very, very rare times when he puts a reserve on anything. You see the bidder go up to, and past the reserve, then cancel their bid. I will also say that I have tracked one of these shill bidders to a very prominent East Coast dealer. So if you want to point fingers, you might start with several members of the Overstreet advisory board.

UPDATE: Chris called me (while I was typing this!) and said the buyer just now left feedback, for this and another 9.8 Marvel Preview purchased. Check it out yourself:

Feedback for Marvel Preview 7

Sorry to go so long-winded on this, but Chris is one of the most honest people I know, seeing you lump him in with crooks is just not right.

Well, based upon tommyjasmin's recommendation and the damning evidence against every single Overstreet Advisor on the Eastern Seaboard, I say mishmashman for Boardie of the Year, a full and complete pardon, a round of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow," and a dozen hearty HUZZAHS!!!!

tumblr_m9j6ysXYyP1qdubrdo1_500.jpg

You'll be lucky if I don't sue you for libel, you little punk. WOOO!!! Getting caught with what, you clown? I don't know what's dumber. You or the garbage books you tried to pass on to me. WOOO!!! There are some real scumbags on these boards but you are the chief. And here's another you creep: WOOO!!!

Jaydogrules - I appreciate your effort to educate the public in the dishonest activities regarding shilling on eBay. But please be careful in your accusations. I too know the seller of the Marvel Preview 7 you mention below, and it was indeed a legitimate sale. Comments below...

Hello Boardies,

Over in the "Wow Marvel Preview 7 Goes Through the Roof" thread (or something to that effect), there has been a lot of intelligent debate as to whether or not these books are "for real" or just two more "flash in the pan" movie books with no legacy of comic book collector interest with temporary wildly inflated prices.

What's the debate? The answer is "both". Sales for these books have been insanely high. Legitimate sales. I first noted this back in January of this year in my Nostomania market report:

Nosto market report: Marvel Preview 7

Funny thing is, while my pricing algorithms were showing unusual activity with this book, at that time I was too stupid to make the connection to GoG and Rocket Raccoon! The fact is, sales have been hot. Will the pricing sustain? Most likely not. Is this the next Amazing Fantasy 15? Of course not! Are these people paying too much? I think so, but that's been going on forever in the comic book market, unfortunately.

On to Marvel Preview 7.

The next obviously shilled auction occurred on this "high grade" raw copy:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=360999724568&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

The underbidding shill in this auction is e**4, with 4 feedback, who had 100% bidding activity with this this seller until I came onto these boards in the other Marvel Preview 7 thread and pointed that out. Subsequent to that, the shill account placed a couple of throw away bids in a couple other auctions, which has led me to believe that these boards are being read by that particular seller.

It should also be noted that the prior high selling priced for a "high grade" copy was only $499...

Another boardie has claimed in the other Marvel Preview 7 thread that he knows the buyer of this book personally. I however find it odd, especially for such a high dollar book, that the buyer did not leave any feedback for the seller, nor did the seller for the buyer after this transaction. That leads me to believe that the sale is either bogus, or either the buyer or seller did not perform.

Ok, I too know this seller personally, in fact I was there years ago when he hand-picked a run of extremely high grade Marvel Previews from a pile of undistributed copies a dealer had at a show in the Twin Cities. This was one of those books. Why the "high grade" in quotes? Look at the book! Chris knows how to grade, probably better than anyone in the midwest.

As far as the "shill" bidder here, this person is indeed a mystery. It does look like a shill bidder, but he/she has nothing to do with Chris.

I actually spoke to Chris about this sale and your post. Your comment about it being so odd there's no feedback? The sale just happened! Chris said the book has gone out and he is of course waiting for feedback. He says when that comes in you can ask the buyer yourself why they paid so much.

I should note I have seen shill bidding in the past on Chris's auctions, on those very, very rare times when he puts a reserve on anything. You see the bidder go up to, and past the reserve, then cancel their bid. I will also say that I have tracked one of these shill bidders to a very prominent East Coast dealer. So if you want to point fingers, you might start with several members of the Overstreet advisory board.

UPDATE: Chris called me (while I was typing this!) and said the buyer just now left feedback, for this and another 9.8 Marvel Preview purchased. Check it out yourself:

Feedback for Marvel Preview 7

Sorry to go so long-winded on this, but Chris is one of the most honest people I know, seeing you lump him in with crooks is just not right.

This post is strange to me. Like Justin (harveyswick) said, who's Chris ? Am I supposed to know who that is? And it sounds like tommyjasmin is agreeing that the auction was shilled, but it wasn't the seller shilling his own book, but an unknown person who may or may not be tied to overstreet?

Huh? (shrug)

-J.

Someone already called it, but it appears that Tommyjasmin has officially kicked off the third stage in this fraud rocket.

Looks like papa has a brand new bag (and a new identity).

Phase 3 :whee:

tumblr_m9j6ysXYyP1qdubrdo1_500.jpg

You'll be lucky if I don't sue you for libel, you little punk. WOOO!!! Getting caught with what, you clown? I don't know what's dumber. You or the garbage books you tried to pass on to me. WOOO!!! There are some real scumbags on these boards but you are the chief. And here's another you creep: WOOO!!!

:roflmao:

Seriously J? You can't infer from my post that Chris is the name of the guy who sold the 9.8 Marvel Preview 7, which you stated, incorrectly, is "obviously shilled"?

I'll try to break this down for you:

1. That was a legitimate sale, the seller is honest.

2. There appeared to be some sketchy shill-like bidding in the auction, but in this case all that did is drive up the price.

3. The buyer seems very happy with the purchase.

Playing the dumb card here is a lousy way to backtrack from admitting you falsely tagged an honest seller as a crook.

You threw out a pretty good post (look at all this action), and as darkstar said, you even got me to create an account! You just gotta be more careful - you stated something as fact and for that particular sale, you were 100% wrong.

tommyjasmin

v7awc5.gif

Just Google me Harvey, I used my real name. In fact google

"Tommy Jasmin Nostomania". That's me.

Apparently I had an account back in '08, based on this:

Old link from the Boards with Tommy

But wasn't able to find that login info.

Shill account defending shill bidding. interesting hm

Seriously J? You can't infer from my post that Chris is the name of the guy who sold the 9.8 Marvel Preview 7, which you stated, incorrectly, is "obviously shilled"?

I'll try to break this down for you:

1. That was a legitimate sale, the seller is honest.

2. There appeared to be some sketchy shill-like bidding in the auction, but in this case all that did is drive up the price.

3. The buyer seems very happy with the purchase.

Playing the dumb card here is a lousy way to backtrack from admitting you falsely tagged an honest seller as a crook.

You threw out a pretty good post (look at all this action), and as darkstar said, you even got me to create an account! You just gotta be more careful - you stated something as fact and for that particular sale, you were 100% wrong.

For the record, I never called any particular seller a "crook" in any of my posts. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter who is shilling an auction (although it stands to reason that the seller would have the greatest incentive to do so), it is still unfair to legitimate buyers, artificially drives up final prices and perverts market data. This, and only this, has been my point since Post One.

-J.

Comes up as sold yesterday

MP 7

and bam

here it is again for $100.00 more same seller. I guess the first could've been an error though.

MP7

You're right, this looks like another fake "buy it now" to drive perception of a higher market value. Here is the link for the "sold" comic. (The link you provided seems to go to a different, ended listing for the book).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-1st-Rocket-Raccoon-VF-7-5-Guardians-Of-Galaxy-Beautiful-/271563669771?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3f3a74c10b

It really is telling, that barring the fake "buy it now's" to skew GPA, and whenever there is an auction that ISN'T shilled, this is still generally very much just a 250-350 dollar book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-1st-app-of-Rocket-Raccoon-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Movie-HOT-/291196075451?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43cca37dbb

-J.

tommyjasmin

v7awc5.gif

Just Google me Harvey, I used my real name. In fact google

"Tommy Jasmin Nostomania". That's me.

Apparently I had an account back in '08, based on this:

Old link from the Boards with Tommy

But wasn't able to find that login info.

This really wasn't my question. This was just me saying - "where did he go?"

This was my question that I had asked twice:

Chris's eBay name and/or Boardie name is ________ ?

Trying to follow along here. :popcorn:

Are you intentionally ignoring it? (shrug)