• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's 2014 Dealer Rankings

107 posts in this topic

Greg White

Is Greg still even dealing comics? Last time I saw him he was working the Toll Booth on the Florida turnpike.

And where's Foolkiller on the list?!?! Used to be the fastest selling threads on the forum... :baiting:

Greg was set up next to me at Megacon this year.

Brian it is awesome someone of your caliber and knowledge in our hobby,

takes the time and effort to do this.

Such a useful and informative tool if you will, for all of us and the comic reading and collecting individuals that venture here.

If C-link were to actually do a full overhaul and redesign their site - would that move them up a peg or even couple pegs in your opinion?

And where's Foolkiller on the list?!?! Used to be the fastest selling threads on the forum... :baiting:

I heard someone say Foolkiller sales thread and my I'll Take it button got trigger happy. I've never seen so many I'll take its piled on top of each other in my life.

Number 7: Joe Verenault, JHV Associates – Woodbury, NJ

"The fact that literally nobody in the comic community has a bad word to say about him is a testament in and of itself to his incredible legacy."

I'll rain on this parade - Joe has been a HORRIBLE fantasy baseball owner the last couple of seasons. Bet your DEAD MONEY on it!!

If you are including the dealer for the masses, the guy with $5 boxes that has customers lined up shoulder to shoulder at the boxes, as well as being the go to guy for other dealers, at least here in the south east I would put Earl Shaw as at least an honorable mention. If you did a physical head count I am sure Earl has more sales (not total dollars, but individual single sales) than most anyone at any show he sets up at.

:hi: Brian.

It's a nice list but I prefer to give more weight to accurate grading, customer service and pricing rather than website functionality and inventory churn. In short, auction houses don't really function as "dealers" for me as much as being a marketplace tool, thus I'm not sure you placed enough emphasis on accurate grading whereas those were concern as most of their inventory is pretty much slabbed.

I laughed when I saw you included Dupcak.

Very interesting and informative, thanks for taking the time to put this together! :applause:

On a personal level, I probably would have included Leroy Harper, at least as an honorable mention. Leroy has been one of my favorite dealers for many years.

Overall I mostly agree with your Top Ten, although I haven't personally dealt with all of them.

Metro's Advanced Search function = :cloud9: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well, Worldwide’s used not to be bad either – did they change it?

The problem I have with Worldwide is that the selection on the site is limited, even if one sticks with high grade books, there is still not much selection for certain titles. Not much Walt Disney Comics & Stories, for example, or some "minor" GA and early SA publishers.

There is only one dealer on your list that would make my list (due to my specific collection) and I think that's a problem. It means that comic books are big enough that one style of dealer list simply isn't enough.... And consider crafting a few different top ten dealers lists! I know I would appreciate it. (Graphic novels, independents, dollar books, OA, yellow labels, for example)

I think your points are valid, however I'm not sure it's fair to expect Brian to put such lists together. Brian's a high-end collector and his list reflects both his interest and arena of expertise.

Other lists would be great if others in those areas would want to do them. From a purely selfish interest, I'd love to see a list of nation's top brick-and-mortar shops, where I've no doubt we'd make the top ten with a fair shot even at the top spot. But I doubt anyone on the boards is going to trek around the country and check out a couple of hundred shop candidates in order to compile such a list. We would never make Brian's list (nor should we) as we don't do conventions, don't have an ecommerce site beyond limited eBay, and being in Ohio, don't generally have access to the really great collections.

There are lots of niche dealers and specialties, each with their top contenders... but it would take an array of people to put such rankings together, and unfortuanetly, it's not likely to happen.

Brian's list, for what it is, is a great and thoughtful bit of work, and always fun to read.

Metro's Advanced Search function = :cloud9: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well, Worldwide’s used not to be bad either – did they change it?

The problem I have with Worldwide is that the selection on the site is limited, even if one sticks with high grade books, there is still not much selection for certain titles. Not much Walt Disney Comics & Stories, for example, or some "minor" GA and early SA publishers.

World Wide has a good one too..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

There is only one dealer on your list that would make my list (due to my specific collection) and I think that's a problem. It means that comic books are big enough that one style of dealer list simply isn't enough.... And consider crafting a few different top ten dealers lists! I know I would appreciate it. (Graphic novels, independents, dollar books, OA, yellow labels, for example)

I think your points are valid, however I'm not sure it's fair to expect Brian to put such lists together. Brian's a high-end collector and his list reflects both his interest and arena of expertise.

Other lists would be great if others in those areas would want to do them. From a purely selfish interest, I'd love to see a list of nation's top brick-and-mortar shops, where I've no doubt we'd make the top ten with a fair shot even at the top spot. But I doubt anyone on the boards is going to trek around the country and check out a couple of hundred shop candidates in order to compile such a list. We would never make Brian's list (nor should we) as we don't do conventions, don't have an ecommerce site beyond limited eBay, and being in Ohio, don't generally have access to the really great collections.

There are lots of niche dealers and specialties, each with their top contenders... but it would take an array of people to put such rankings together, and unfortuanetly, it's not likely to happen.

Brian's list, for what it is, is a great and thoughtful bit of work, and always fun to read.

Actually I could do a top ten store list. I visit dozens of stores a year all across the country as I travel an enormous amount for work. Perhaps I'll put that together soon.

Actually I could do a top ten store list. I visit dozens of stores a year all across the country as I travel an enormous amount for work. Perhaps I'll put that together soon.

you never made it to my store, last year :makepoint:

If you are including the dealer for the masses, the guy with $5 boxes that has customers lined up shoulder to shoulder at the boxes, as well as being the go to guy for other dealers, at least here in the south east I would put Earl Shaw as at least an honorable mention. If you did a physical head count I am sure Earl has more sales (not total dollars, but individual single sales) than most anyone at any show he sets up at.

And this is why I encourage a dialog, I absolutely should have included Earl, at least for consideration and almost certainly an honorable mention.

Yeah Rick, I was bummed I didn't make it, but I will eventually. I actually was thinking of who would be in contention for stores too. There are so many wonderful stores, it'd be very tough to narrow it -- especially because I'd have to be weighing a ton of factors.

I may do the list. I'd wager to say I've visited more stores across the country than almost anyone on the boards, but obviously I have no way of knowing.