• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I @#$%^& hate craigslist

24 posts in this topic

Why do people automatically think if you have listed something on craigslist that you are in desperate need of money. You list something way below CMV and they think you will take an 1/4 of what you listed it for. :frustrated:

Sorry just needed to vent, carry on.

[font:Book Antiqua]

If you are selling,

think of this like a business and provide great customer service,

listen to the offers, respond and politely decline,

you never know who is going to be a (repeat) customer...

[/font]

2c

[font:Book Antiqua]

If you are selling,

think of this like a business and provide great customer service,

listen to the offers, respond and politely decline,

you never know who is going to be a (repeat) customer...

[/font]

2c

I've only gotten 2 pretty good sales from my Craigslist ads. Both guys bought a bunch of books but they sure demanded steep discounts compared to E-Bay buyers. You do save the 13% fees but not a good deal when they want 20% off FMV.

Ive owned enough retail businesses to know how to deal with customers. I am just tired of the unrealistic offers you get from craigslist, especially when I list stuff way below CMV and am still willing to deal pup to a point.

When you list an Item that sell consistently for $600 on the open market and I list it for $400 and everyone seem to think I should sell it to them for $150-200. Respect is a two way street.Jmho

Because thats the stigma craigslist carries. People think your on craiglist for a reason, they usually think that reason is you dont know what you have. The other extreme is people asking 3x market price for their "rare, hard to find" Youngbloods issues.

Just put in the listing "price firm" and be realistic. That should turn away a number of low-ballers automatically. However, what they will sometimes still do is what some person_too_unaware_of_social_graces did and wait until the meetup to exchange the item for the previously agreed upon price and then lowball you.

When they happens don't even address the person, just leave.

Why do people automatically think if you have listed something on craigslist that you are in desperate need of money. You list something way below CMV and they think you will take an 1/4 of what you listed it for. :frustrated:

I have suffered the same. I believe that people like this are resellers.

I don't really have a problem with that, and I sometimes list things for about their going rate on eBay. I sold a 23" monitor for $100 recently. And I might have taken $50 if I hadn't gotten any calls about it for a couple days. But a guy came over and paid full asking price with no haggling. He didn't even make me hook it up first.

The perception is Craigslist is like a flea market. Things should go for 15-20% of what they are worth . The same people who shop at flea markets (Looking for say something worth $100 , buy at $15 and sell at $85 ) are the same who buy on Craigslist . Atleast thats my perception . I sell at flea markets and yard sales and the usual question I get when I price something at near FMV is "Do you realize this is a flea market" and your selling for too much .. The same comcept applies to craigslsit in there minds.

CL not so good ... Once checked out a guys comics from there .. They were brutal .. He wanted top dollar for basically reader copy comics... He had issues I wanted but the condition of them were horrible... No point having older books if they're garbage quality ... ASM 96 in G-VG for $80 ... No thanks

it is somewhat interesting that when a stock broker or investor buys something low and sells high, they are seen as successful.

But if someone tries the same thing at a flea market or CList/Ebay-- they are scumbags or ripoff artists..

Most people think they can haggle at any point in the deal--- it is almost expected in some cultures. Best way to deal with it is inflate your price so you have wiggle room down to your real price. Some of the dumbest people who deal with Rick on Pawnstars, for example, start with their expected amount. Rick never pays (amost) the starting point price

CL not so good ... Once checked out a guys comics from there .. They were brutal .. He wanted top dollar for basically reader copy comics... He had issues I wanted but the condition of them were horrible... No point having older books if they're garbage quality ... ASM 96 in G-VG for $80 ... No thanks

most of the guys who report finds in the garage sales thread have to hunt through several offerings before finding something that is a good deal. It's work.

most of the guys who report finds in the garage sales thread have to hunt through several offerings before finding something that is a good deal. It's work.

Copy that ....

It's the nature of the Craig's Beast. Lots of bargain hunters there. Just thank them for their wonderful offer and move on.

it is somewhat interesting that when a stock broker or investor buys something low and sells high, they are seen as successful.

But if someone tries the same thing at a flea market or CList/Ebay-- they are scumbags or ripoff artists..

Most people think they can haggle at any point in the deal--- it is almost expected in some cultures. Best way to deal with it is inflate your price so you have wiggle room down to your real price. Some of the dumbest people who deal with Rick on Pawnstars, for example, start with their expected amount. Rick never pays (amost) the starting point price

People can do whatever they want with what they buy from me, but what I have seen is that most of the time, with collectibles, they will turn down even a good deal if they don't think that they can make a good enough profit off of it reselling it. I have had people make that statement to me. It's like people will only give you $10 for it if they can resell it for $100.

I was at the local swapmeet one year and ran across a gentleman who at one time owned a comic store. He was selling there and told me that the only people who come by and purchase from him are those who are trying to flip what he has.

Now, there is nothing wrong with flipping what you buy, but it seems more time than not it is the flippers that want what you are selling and they expect to only pay 10% of the value. It is as since they found a few good deals like that now they want all of them like that. I know, I have sold a lot of collectibles on Craigslist.

I remember a few years ago I was selling some of my vintage Star Wars collection that contained a few very hard to find pieces. I listed them for a very good price.

I had a kid come over to look at the collection and asked if I would sell the htf pieces by themselves, I said no. He then asked if I would take a 1/3 of my asking price because he only needed part of the collection. At this point I said I would not discount at all. He left and proceeded to call my every 1/2 hour with a slightly higher offer. At the end he had to have what he wanted and agreed to pay asking price. his words "your going to make me pay to get what I want"

Best part of this whole deal was when he came back to pick up the collection he sent his girlfriend in to do the deal and set in the car all butthurt. :)