• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC stepped up and fixed the problem. Kudos!

155 posts in this topic

I'm with Ares, sorry but this is a crock. You started the thread saying your going nuclear but its a mistake and all of the sudden we're told to move along, nothing to see here. Seriously if this isnt' an issue because it was a mistake, why bring it up in the first place? Just give them the benefit of the doubt, save us the hassle.

You're upset because the offending book that mistakenly ended up in a Sig Series hold is no longer going to end up in a Sig Series holder and because the OP didn't go ballistic?

No, I'm disturbed by the fact that a thread is started stating outrage and how could this happen and CGC can't be trusted, and everything else. It's stated that a mistake was made, and so quick to forgive, everything is great, CGC is the best, blah blah.

Don't feign outrage or anything else, if you love CGC to the point where they can do no wrong, thats fine. Don't start a threat that ultimately will rile people up, intentionally or not, and abandon it at the first excuse.

I just find it funny that the same people cursing CGC are singing their praises the next minute.

Also I'm a bit confused that their off the hook so easily, thats probably it when we boil it down. The constant gripes about how they could or should change, the blunders that we know of, and in the end, it doesnt matter because they will always be forgiven, rather easily. Seems like were spinning our wheels, why even get upset at anything when it's apparently not a big deal, why does CGC have rules, we don't care if they follow them

I'm sorry for extinguishing my torch and putting my pitchfork away because CGC stepped up and took ownership of this problem. :foryou: I guess I'm not clear on why you're outraged that I'm not more outraged. I'm sorry your Friday thread fizzled out, but sometimes the anger goes away when a situation is properly addressed.

I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker here, but I'm also not going to feign outrage for the sake of outrage. I saw a situation that pissed me off and admittedly went nuclear. But it seems a bit nutty to expect me to stay upset when they dealt with it. You may want to think about your agenda here. Not saying that CGC is perfect, but we can only hope to fix one problem at a time. Take a breath.

Don't laud them for fixing a problem they caused by breaking their own rules

Baloney. Every company makes mistakes. How they deal with them is what's important. Now if they would deal with a couple other "mistakes" they've made recently that would be great.

A mistake is the Journey Into Mystery issue.

This is a blatant and will full Violation of their rules

Not at all. Paul thought Kenny cracked the book. He didn't. Big Mistake.

Big Mistake is presented to CGC, they correct as best they can. There is not much else they can do. In my experience, they work very hard to keep the integrity of the SS. They sure aren't perfect, but they work very hard.

I am going to tickle you.

Baloney. Every company makes mistakes. How they deal with them is what's important. Now if they would deal with a couple other "mistakes" they've made recently that would be great.

Big Mistake is presented to CGC, they correct as best they can. There is not much else they can do. In my experience, they work very hard to keep the integrity of the SS. They sure aren't perfect, but they work very hard.

I am Groot!

Hopefully all of the witnesses are trustworthy. However, bribery occurs in almost every bureaucracy, doesn't it? I don't know that it has ever happened with a Sig Series book, but it could. It would be impossible to be 100% positive that every Sig Series book is authentic. People have to be satisfied with being reasonably certain. The CGC system is certainly an improvement over what preceded it, i.e. taking a dealer at his word, especially when that dealer may not have been the original procurer of an autograph.

I am foot!

Fixed, hobbit.

Steve Borock doesn't apologize on forums. He never makes mistakes.

You mean if he makes a mistake, it's the mistake that is mistaken?

Steve Borock was once on Wheel of Fortune and was the first to spin. The next 29 minutes of the show consisted of everyone standing around awkwardly, waiting for the wheel to stop.

And, it's still spinning

All the more reason there need to be authenticators in the industry similar to sports memorabilia, and having a yellow label not be the end-all, be-all.

In reality, even witnesses can be "in on it" right? You never know if a trusted person might eventually be turned for the right price.

So what's the scenario here-someone had a slabbed SS, cracked it out, replaced it with a same grade forged sig and swapped it, thus making the legitimate sig valueless???

I have to admit, I'm curious about how a conversation like this:

I saw this thread and talked to Litch, saying that I trusted him to be on the up and up.. asked if Todd provided before scans of everything he had, could he retain the SS.

Paul said to have Todd send him everything he had, and he would take a look.

resulted in the impression that he'd cracked the book himself.

(shrug)

All the more reason there need to be authenticators in the industry similar to sports memorabilia, and having a yellow label not be the end-all, be-all.

In reality, even witnesses can be "in on it" right? You never know if a trusted person might eventually be turned for the right price.

No system is flawless, and in any human endeavor mistakes will be made. It is all about how those mistakes are dealt with. I don't always feel rosy about how CGC handles things (see the Costanza grades) but in this case they acted responsibly to clean up this mess and avert a black eye to the SS program. This is my take.

As for the overall integrity of the SS program, it's clearly the best thing there is to authenticate signatures as well as could be expected. If anything the argument could, and has, been made that they err on the side of being conservative in some cases. Is it possible that occasionally a facilitator will get lazy and may not 100% witness something? Perhaps. Could someone figured out how to game the system and launder autographs into a yellow label? Maybe. But I am comfortable trusting that CGC takes the integrity of the program seriously. Today is evidence of that commitment, and my faith, while momentarily shaken, was restored by their actions to rectify this breach of their protocol.

It's easy to worry or suspect, but unless someone comes forward I'm comfortable in trusting that they take this seriously.

I have to admit, I'm curious about how a conversation like this:

I saw this thread and talked to Litch, saying that I trusted him to be on the up and up.. asked if Todd provided before scans of everything he had, could he retain the SS.

Paul said to have Todd send him everything he had, and he would take a look.

resulted in the impression that he'd cracked the book himself.

(shrug)

Paul said he just scanned the email and didn't read it fully. It happens.