• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC stepped up and fixed the problem. Kudos!

155 posts in this topic

Oh man this is sooooo good. The best juicy thread started in a long time.

Can't wait for the explanation.

:popcorn:

There was an explanation though…?

Yes, the explanation is that CGC knowingly violated their previously inviolable rules. To me this is worse than the blue-purple-blue JIM debacle, because at least there you can claim human error. Here they made a conscious decision to flout their own rule, a rule that has hosed countless others who participate in SS.

Just to Affirming the consequent if this was allowed for this person and this book this time. How do we know that it has not happened many times before or will not happen in the future? Someone made a mistake and it was not the book retaining the SS label it was posting about it.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, is it?

Wasn't there also an incident where a stack of books was taken by a witness to George Tuska's house to be signed and George said he was too tired, so the books were left with George overnight? And the witness went back to George's house the next day and George had already signed all of the books? And they all got yellow label? (Although the witness hadn't actually witnessed George signing them.)

Am I remembering that correctly?

Oh man this is sooooo good. The best juicy thread started in a long time.

Can't wait for the explanation.

:popcorn:

There was an explanation though…?

Yes, the explanation is that CGC knowingly violated their previously inviolable rules. To me this is worse than the blur-purple-blue JIM debacle, because at least there you can claim human error. Here they made a conscious decision to flout their own rule, a rule that has hosed countless others who participate in SS.

Now that precedent has been set, will they be doing the same for everyone else? I think it's only fair.

I think Ze-Man explains what happened pretty well. I'm not sure it is a huge deal as it is an isolated incident…

So can Ze-Man vouch for DF also so that we can finally get yellow labels on those books. Everyone who buys a DF book KNOWS that it was signed by the person, heck it even comes with a COA. So why Green Label it. They can be trusted.

If you do it even once, you've broken the trust. Once the trust is broken you can never fix it. Also this goes back to the Tin hatters comments about the fact that CGC does favors for "big fish". So maybe they yellow label a book noone witnessed because Metropolis asks. Vince can be trusted right?

I have a sad now :(

Just to Affirming the consequent if this was allowed for this person and this book this time. How do we know that it has not happened many times before or will not happen in the future? Someone made a mistake and it was not the book retaining the SS label it was posting about it.

Posting about it compounds the error by bringing it into the light of day, but the violation itself is much worse. This calls potentially any yellow label into question.

Hell, I've worried about walking through a thick crowd at a con and having the witness lose sight of me as a reason to drop chain of custody on my way to the CGC booth. That may make me extreme, but that is how seriously I took this witnessing.

Posting about it compounds the error by bringing it into the light of day, but the violation itself is much worse. This calls potentially any yellow label into question.

I was being snarky :kidaround:

Hell, I've worried about walking through a thick crowd at a con and having the witness lose sight of me as a reason to drop chain of custody on my way to the CGC booth. That may make me extreme, but that is how seriously I took this witnessing.

+1

This is great, they're not making it easy on themselves. I'm very curious if a formal response will come, what it will be, and how much spin it will have.

I was being snarky :kidaround:

My snark meter is temporarily disabled. :P

I think Ze-Man explains what happened pretty well. I'm not sure it is a huge deal as it is an isolated incident

The integrity of the yellow label is a huge deal. No evidence other than actual CGC eyes on a signature being signed, or someone approved witnessing a book being cracked, will keep the designation. Now CGC is saying that if you know someone, they can work around that. This is a problem. Lots of people have lost a lot of money on exactly the same issue and were SOL.

I think any of us in the SS world have all on some level experienced the last line. I have a real hard time believing the Hulk OP posted his good fortunes. Nothing against him, I've bought several books off him, but man, this is one of those times you keep your "good fortune" to yourself. Now there are very real questions that need answered. I remember the first overhaul of the SS program, where the CAWs were "invented" and that was a learning curve. As a very heavily invested SS guy, this is concerning, and I know it would be easier to go with the "nothing to see here", but, this does need to be addressed.

Bah, I think that book was easily identifiable & escalated for the right reasons so getting it back under the yellow program is no big deal & shouldn't be a big deal to the rest of us.

While people who have been side-swiped by this policy have a legit reason to beef about it (I'm sure there are horror stories) but maybe they should outline their circumstances where this policy denied them a yellow label.....I would bet that most aren't slam dunks like this one where essentially we got the right result.

I'd say CGC got it right, no one in their right mind thinks Stan didn't sign this book with a witness present.

:whatev: