• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Marvel saving their big guns for New York ComicCon?

14 posts in this topic

It seems like Marvel went a little light on the news at this year's SDCC. While they did drop a few nice crumbs, they did not fill in the blanks on the majority of their set movie schedule. So no Doc Strange, Black Panther, Nova...

Does this mean they are going to have a huge show at NYCC? The tea leaves are certainly pointing that way don't you think? (shrug)

It seems like Marvel went a little light on the news at this year's SDCC. While they did drop a few nice crumbs, they did not fill in the blanks on the majority of their set movie schedule. So no Doc Strange, Black Panther, Nova...

Does this mean they are going to have a huge show at NYCC? The tea leaves are certainly pointing that way don't you think? (shrug)

Yes.

I think with DC abandoning NY for California that Marvel is going to show who owns NY now. They are going to make a statement.

They are waiting for the last ossicle moment to introduce each step along the path OR for Warner Brothers to blink and do a reveal first. Marvel movies are linked and need to somewhat be released in a certain order to preserve the overall narrative. The major weak link in the chain in is the fact that other studios can plan their big releases to compete with marvel releases.

It's the same reason that opposing teams adjust pitching rotations.

They are waiting for the last ossicle moment to introduce each step along the path OR for Warner Brothers to blink and do a reveal first. Marvel movies are linked and need to somewhat be released in a certain order to preserve the overall narrative. The major weak link in the chain in is the fact that other studios can plan their big releases to compete with marvel releases.

lol Yessiree. That's done'em a whole lotta good so far. ca.gif

It seems like Marvel went a little light on the news at this year's SDCC.

I don't get why people keep saying this. I think revealing the full first trailers for Ant-Man and Age of Ultron is pretty big news. Announcing the GOTG sequel was the icing on the cake.

Peace,

Chip

lol Yessiree. That's done'em a whole lotta good so far. ca.gif

With respect, I wrote about this last week. Cinema Blend expanded on it three days ago with a bit more clarity and a more detailed explanation.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Here-Why-Marvel-Didn-t-Confirm-Any-Movie-Titles-66489.html

Let's say you're a regular studio like Fox, and you want to map out the next four or five years. You've already got scripts for five random movies, and you select release dates for 2016, 2017 and 2018. This is great and all, but it can only be temporary – let's say movie #4 of those five is a mid-budgeted cop film starring a less-than-A-List cast of up-and-comers, set to be released in the fourth quarter of 2017. But movies #2 and #3 on that schedule were not the huge successes you were hoping for, which means you need more of a sure thing in the fourth quarter of 2017. You want to postpone the shooting of movie #4, but now you've lost the availability of your lead actor, who has committed to another project. Your second-billed actor, meanwhile, was a lot hotter when you entered preliminary negotiations with them in 2015 than he is in 2017. So now, you're looking at moving movie #4 and replacing it with a not-ready Movie #5, and moving ahead without your ideal talent. You planned ahead, and it backfired, and now the entire industry knows that Untitled Cop Movie is being moved to another date. This is the beginning of "bad buzz," and suddenly Movie #4 becomes a "troubled production."

Now imagine the same situation, except that every movie costs $300-$400 million to produce and distribute. And the movies can't be switched out for each other, because they all follow the same linear outline – you can't swap Movie #5 in for Movie #4, because Movie #4 builds up Movie #5 plot-wise. Also, some of these movies are going to need the same actor to pop up multiple times, so good luck negotiating and re-negotiating their busy schedule.

Such are the problems Marvel currently faces.

It seems like Marvel went a little light on the news at this year's SDCC.

I don't get why people keep saying this. I think revealing the full first trailers for Ant-Man and Age of Ultron is pretty big news. Announcing the GOTG sequel was the icing on the cake.

Peace,

Chip

you must not own multiple copies of FF #52 or ST #110

Looking to flip your copies eh?

Every thread I've seen says they won't do a Nova movie because the character is too much like Starlord. :shrug: The Corps has already been introduced so who knows.

I actually have the movie schedule right here. It is not being announced until Monday but I do not work for Marvel and by the time CGC gets a 'cease and desist' it will have already been officially released.

10511240_903817924823_4702545134048596894_n.jpg