• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sending Grail to CGC

39 posts in this topic

So, I want to send my All Select #1 into CGC and I'm looking for advice on shipping method as this is, by far, the most expensive book I've ever sent in. Should I do next day USPS or registered? Should I have it sent back next day FedEx or Registered mail?

Thanks!

Last I knew, Fedex would not insure comics. They will collect money from you as if they will insure it but they do not pay out for loss/damage to comics. This may have changed and some people have a collectibles insurance policy that covers books that are shipped.

I prefer registered mail in both directions. It's slow but very safe.

USPS Registered. Under lock & key the whole way, and if something happens, they're very easy to deal with a claim, if necessary. I've filed 3 claims with the USPS in 15 years, and never had a fight or hassle about anything. In fact, they even let me keep the damaged merchandise.

Plus, insurance after the initial Registered fee is very inexpensive...about $2/$1,000 coverage, up to $25,000.

I've shipped thousands of books to CGC this way, and have not had a problem.

USPS Registered. Under lock & key the whole way, and if something happens, they're very easy to deal with a claim, if necessary. I've filed 3 claims with the USPS in 15 years, and never had a fight or hassle about anything. In fact, they even let me keep the damaged merchandise.

Plus, insurance after the initial Registered fee is very inexpensive...about $2/$1,000 coverage, up to $25,000.

I've sent my big boy books this way with no problem.

In what manner does CGC ship your books back?

Same way. USPS Registered.

Sorry but I hate USPS Registered. Though technically there is Tracking, in reality they never update the status. It's very slow, usually taking a full week to get to the Midwest. If the OP is this concerned about his book, he will go nuts dealing with Registered Mail.

Sorry but I hate USPS Registered. Though technically there is Tracking, in reality they never update the status. It's very slow, usually taking a full week to get to the Midwest. If the OP is this concerned about his book, he will go nuts dealing with Registered Mail.

Yeah, that's ultimately what I decided. I sent it off today FedEx next day AM delivery. At least I will have to worry about for a very short period of time. :wishluck:

I will add this though. Even though that is how they return your books to you, if you know the book is of great importance I would find the time to make sure that someone is available to receive the package when it is on its way back.

The postal delivery person left a package that should have been signed for on my doorstep and it sat there for a few hours. They made a big mistake. No harm no foul came of it but still.

The contents were an AF15, ASM1 and an ASM129.

I will add this though. Even though that is how they return your books to you, if you know the book is of great importance I would find the time to make sure that someone is available to receive the package when it is on its way back.

The postal delivery person left a package that should have been signed for on my doorstep and it sat there for a few hours. They made a big mistake. No harm no foul came of it but still.

The contents were an AF15, ASM1 and an ASM129.

Drek. It's not like it was a Tec #27.

:whistle:

(but this raises a good point: if a submitter fibs on the submission to save money on the tier...and I don't mean "well, it could go either way", I'm talking about a Famous Funnies #209 in 9.4 subbed under the "Value" tier...and it gets lost or stolen because of USPS incompetence..? Good luck trying to claim full value.)

Jeff, do you have CIA insurance? I recommend if you don't. CIA would cover your book for up to $60k (per package) against loss, theft, damage if it is shipped usps registered, usps overnight, or FedEx overnight ---all with signature required option.

Jeff, do you have CIA insurance? I recommend if you don't. CIA would cover your book for up to $60k (per package) against loss, theft, damage if it is shipped usps registered, usps overnight, or FedEx overnight ---all with signature required option.
Thanks Ben. I'm filling out the app even as I type this!

The book was delivered to CGC headquarters at 8:45 am this morning. Thanks to everyone who replied!