• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the most you have ever paid for a comic?

129 posts in this topic

Trying to remember, but I paid around $40 to $60 for my Four Color 386 (Uncle Scrooge No. 2) back in the late 1980's, but I've paid more than that for my hard cover book editions like Another Rainbow's Barks book, etc. when I bought them new.

Most of my other golden and silver age comics I got for cover or less usually, but this was back in the 70's and 80's when I would find deals at local flea markets, carnivals, garage sales, and auctions. My first used comics/second-hand Barks comics were from my elementary school carnival - several issues rolled up with a rubber band around them for the cost of one ticket (which was ten cents). I bought all the comics they had at that price.

If only I had known back then to just buy the new DC' and Marvel's and keep them that way, but I was a reader first I guess. I remember stopping buying new comics for a while in protest to them going from 20 cents to 25 cents.

I blew a couple grand on a JIM83 once, and I didn't like the fact I did that, so I sold it not a week after I bought it. My comic book limits are way, way less now. My art limits are another story...

On a single book… we have to see if it is cash only or in a trade.

Cash only, I think I spent in the $250-450 range just a few times.

Coming to mind:

– Fantastic Four #3 (recently upgraded);

– a few Disney GA italian books from the 1930s;

– a GA Daredevil (now sold, to buy other stuff);

In a trade the story is different, as it always happened through trades that I purchased my most expensive italian books. I never felt comfortable spending more than the above in a book, so once I obtained what is now my most expensive single comic in a trade. I gave some Disney GA and 1950s books to the dealer with about $400 in cash, and I got this:

aucx3p.jpg

21329e9.jpg

Published in 1958, this book contains the very first (collected) follow-up to the Phantom Blot, a 1955 story written and drawn by Romano Scarpa – that would have been published for the first time in USA only in 1988. It ideally follows the original "Mickey Mouse outwits the Phantom Blot", published first in comic book form in Four Color #16. See here:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+TL++116-AP

It is issue #2 of this title, which collects the best Disney stories created by the italian school of authors, and is one of the more sought after collectibles in Italy. A copy like mine now goes for about $2000-2500 or so now.

$7K. And I sold it two months later, because I could not justify owning a book that expensive.

That’s the problem I would have too… hm

My comfort zone is $400 or so. Get nervous anytime I consider something in the $850-$900 range or above.

Yeah, I would say 400+/- is definitely my comfort range as well.

As Oakland said earlier, once you break certain barriers it's gets more dangerous.

After I bought the AF15, I remember looking at books in the 800-1200 range and saying, "hmm...that's not too bad". lol

Still, always have been able to keep it under 4 figures apart from the AF15.

My comfort zone is $400 or so. Get nervous anytime I consider something in the $850-$900 range or above.

Yeah, I would say 400+/- is definitely my comfort range as well.

As Oakland said earlier, once you break certain barriers it's gets more dangerous.

After I bought the AF15, I remember looking at books in the 800-1200 range and saying, "hmm...that's not too bad". lol

Still, always have been able to keep it under 4 figures apart from the AF15.

I guess it’s a lot of people’s "comfort zone".

My in-laws think I only spend about $5 - $10 on individual comics and they think that amount is crazy.

The most I've spent is a little over $500.00 on a single book. My purchases usually fall in the $40 - $100 range. I had to stop buying books completely for a couple years due to finances and I still have to stick to a pretty tight budget currently. I hope that my financial situation changes soon as there are a couple books in the $1000 - $1500 range that I would like to own. Can't justify spending that amount though until I am completely debt free.

Too much spending on a funny book throughout the years.
+1

When you start getting into transactions that can only be accomplished via bank wire transfer, you are forced to admit that you may have a problem.

Hello, my name is...

lol

I have not stepped out that far. But pretty close on those CFD auctions. ;)