• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really what is the difference with a cgc 2.5 compared to a 9.0?

130 posts in this topic

I hear you OP.

I don't mind low grade slabs...

Like you said, you're really only looking at the front cover.

I want an ASM 129. A 2.5 is on eBay for $200.

What's a 9.8 go for? $1200 or something.

At the end of the day, I just want to book with those beautiful key notes.

But, that's me and my collection focus.

Other's prefer a collection of high grade.

If you've got an ASM 129 for $1200...

:takeit:

lol

Forgive my ignorance. I'm obviously not in the market for a high grade 129.

Allow me to explain. When you buy a cgced comic. You are never going to read that comic, let alone open the cover. You are basically purchasing a slab where all you pretty much see is the frint and the back of the comic. Of course a higher cgc will have a cleaner looking cover, while a lower one will have a nice looking cover except it has some wear and some wrinkles here and there. So if both look good, albeit one is more worn out but still looks good. What is the point of the collector paying an obscene amount of money for a higher graded comic. If you are looking from an investment point of view, fine, I get it even though comics are essentially a bad investment except for a select few books. But if you're solely in it as a collector, i don't understand why.

Sounds like you know exactly what the answer to your question is, which is of course obvious: What's the difference between a 2.5 and a 9.0? Condition of the comic, mostly the cover. This thread falls more in the "I collect a certain way and you don't therefore you're doing it wrong!" category.

I think it’s rather the other way around, and here lies the answer as well: a collector who keeps the books in CGC cases probably favors the cover art, and the comic as a graded collectible "object", so he obviously wants the nicest presenting copies.

Although in this case, I question how good you can see the book through the plastic of the case: it is quite thick.

Yeah. Hopefully some day someone will invent some sort of transparent plastic... :baiting:

But if you're solely in it as a collector, i don't understand why.

Do you really not understand why an item in better condition would be worth more than an item in worse condition? Or that items in better condition are generally by nature going to be more rare than items in worse condition over time and that more rare = more valuable?

Apart from the obvious monetary value, What really is the difference? Unless the cover is torn or written on or highly damaged, why pay so much more for a much higher grade? I have seen vintage cgc 2.5 comics with a great looking cover. At the end of the day, That cover will never be opened, the comic won't be read. So does it really make a huge change?

I AM GROOT!

Allow me to explain. When you buy a cgced comic. You are never going to read that comic, let alone open the cover. You are basically purchasing a slab where all you pretty much see is the frint and the back of the comic. Of course a higher cgc will have a cleaner looking cover, while a lower one will have a nice looking cover except it has some wear and some wrinkles here and there. So if both look good, albeit one is more worn out but still looks good. What is the point of the collector paying an obscene amount of money for a higher graded comic. If you are looking from an investment point of view, fine, I get it even though comics are essentially a bad investment except for a select few books. But if you're solely in it as a collector, i don't understand why.

Sounds like you know exactly what the answer to your question is, which is of course obvious: What's the difference between a 2.5 and a 9.0? Condition of the comic, mostly the cover. This thread falls more in the "I collect a certain way and you don't therefore you're doing it wrong!" category.

I think it’s rather the other way around, and here lies the answer as well: a collector who keeps the books in CGC cases probably favors the cover art, and the comic as a graded collectible "object", so he obviously wants the nicest presenting copies.

Although in this case, I question how good you can see the book through the plastic of the case: it is quite thick.

Yeah. Hopefully some day someone will invent some sort of transparent plastic... :baiting:

yeah right. That will show up around the time sliced bread does. :eyeroll:

Silly question. Those grades aren't even in the same zip code.

Here's a 2.5 with strong eye appeal:

af15cgc25front_zps758819fe.jpg

Here's a 9.0:

amazing-fantasy_015_cgc-90_420px.png

I think you may be too much of a perfectionist. That 2.5 cover looks great.

Damn dude we are an Idea Factory! :headbang:

I can get this idea to market. I have both bread and a knife.

Holy Moley, KNIFE??? Another good one!

Seems so obvious in hindsight :frustrated:

Really ? This thread is gonna get good ...

What looks better on the wall ? I bet the 9.0 does ...

On the other hand that's not to say I wouldn't put an ASM #1 CGC 2.5 on my wall ... Guess it depends on book...but I think most strive for best grade they can afford ...

Yeah, I'm sure that's what Amin80 is saying about the difference between a 2.5 and a 9.0 right now. :devil:

Yeah, I'm sure that's what Amin80 is saying about the difference between a 2.5 and a 9.0 right now. :devil:

I doubt it. Usually when people start threads like these, they never change their thinking. However, always hopeful, perhaps he will buck the trend.

Silly question. Those grades aren't even in the same zip code.

Here's a 2.5 with strong eye appeal:

af15cgc25front_zps758819fe.jpg

Here's a 9.0:

amazing-fantasy_015_cgc-90_420px.png

I think you may be too much of a perfectionist. That 2.5 cover looks great.

:takeit:

Really ? This thread is gonna get good ...

What looks better on the wall ? I bet the 9.0 does ...

On the other hand that's not to say I wouldn't put an ASM #1 CGC 2.5 on my wall ... Guess it depends on book…but I think most strive forbest grade they can afford ...

See I think that is the big thing. My range for books is usually from $300-$400. Sometimes that means I wait and find the nicest presenting 7.0 I can find. Other times, it means I look for a 5.0.

For example, a few years ago I grabbed a 4.5 W of ASM 14. The book presents as well as a 6.0 I have. If you catch the book in the light, it would appear it has a cut in the cover. Laying flat the cut isn't visible.

It all about what you can afford and what you are happy with. Again, buy the book and not the label.