• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Credits...Why?

62 posts in this topic

The movie experience isn't really over till you sit through them sweeping the floor, picking up wallets and I Phones etc.

Then you can leave.

This thread is disrespectful to me and everyone I ever worked with in the movie/tv business in the past 20 years. Btw the way my name is in the closing credits of 2 major network shows every week and I would be pretty angry if it wasn't as I am a pretty important part of making these shows work. The fact that someone says it shouldn't be there is an insult to me and my whole industry.

This thread is disrespectful to me and everyone I ever worked with in the movie/tv business in the past 20 years. Btw the way my name is in the closing credits of 2 major network shows every week and I would be pretty angry if it wasn't as I am a pretty important part of making these shows work. The fact that someone says it shouldn't be there is an insult to me and my whole industry.

Nobody cares. I need that list as much as a I need a list of all the people who were involved in the production of my refrigerator.

Did you actually read the thread? At least half the messages have been in support of the credits.

Did anyone else catch in the GOTG movie credits the line:

"No Raccoons or Tree Creatures were harmed in the filming of this production"

That line made me laugh and I wouldn't have seen it if I wasn't scanning over the credits.

BUT, all in all.... those were some pretty long & boring credits.

While not a movie but a tv show, XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS had a similar disclaimers in almost all of their credits. Such bits as:

"By popular demand "The Executioner" will bring back his comfortable lightweight cotton-flax blend robe in a variety of spring colors."

"Xena's Best Chewing Tooth was not harmed during the production of this motion picture."

"The disclaimer for this episode was harmed during the making of this motion picture." (which reminds me of Chromium's sigline :cry:)

The full list is here:

http://www.klio.net/XENA/EPISODES/xenadishum.html#E601

I would rather have them at the end of the movie than in the beginning of the movie like the old days. I don't mind them. It is fun looking for stuff in there for credits IMO. I really think they should place all the extras in there though they didn't have a speaking role.

Did anyone else catch in the GOTG movie credits the line:

"No Raccoons or Tree Creatures were harmed in the filming of this production"

That line made me laugh and I wouldn't have seen it if I wasn't scanning over the credits.

BUT, all in all.... those were some pretty long & boring credits.

While not a movie but a tv show, XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS had a similar disclaimers in almost all of their credits. Such bits as:

"By popular demand "The Executioner" will bring back his comfortable lightweight cotton-flax blend robe in a variety of spring colors."

"Xena's Best Chewing Tooth was not harmed during the production of this motion picture."

"The disclaimer for this episode was harmed during the making of this motion picture." (which reminds me of Chromium's sigline :cry:)

The full list is here:

http://www.klio.net/XENA/EPISODES/xenadishum.html#E601

Yeah, that was carried over from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. One of the TV movies, perhaps the first, had a play on the regular animal line, with something like, "No centaurs were harmed in the making of this production." Folks liked it, so they kept it up.

As someone who works in tv and film (as does my misses) I'm pleased at the amount of people on this board who understand how important the credits are. Thanks for that!

As well, I understand that sometimes it gets a bit tedious, but it's damn important to understand the amount of work it takes to make that 2 hours of entertainment which most people take for granted.

I loved that at the end of the new X-Men, there was a disclaimer that this single film employed 14,000 people. Things like that need to be mentioned more.

As someone who works in tv and film (as does my misses) I'm pleased at the amount of people on this board who understand how important the credits are. Thanks for that!

As well, I understand that sometimes it gets a bit tedious, but it's damn important to understand the amount of work it takes to make that 2 hours of entertainment which most people take for granted.

I loved that at the end of the new X-Men, there was a disclaimer that this single film employed 14,000 people. Things like that need to be mentioned more.

Which department are you in?

I'm a dialogue / sound editor in post production and my misses is a scenic painter.

What's yours?

Construction Coordinator (Im in charge of building the sets)

I'm a dialogue / sound editor in post production and my misses is a scenic painter.

What's yours?

You guys can build anything

(worship)

For the most part, we probably skip most movie credits, but with the Marvel movies, we're all suffering through to see those post credit scenes. This led me to wonder, Why do they really have these shown at the end of a theatrical release? Who is really interested in seeing all of these endless parade of names, at least enough to have them displayed at the end of every movie?

The Guardians of the Galaxy really showed how much this practice needs to be streamlined. If we're getting an extra scene, seriously, why would we ever need to sit through this? DId you guys see all of those names involved in the production??

Assuming there are people that benefit from the end credit info...how small must that percentage be? Cut the rest of us a break, and put them on the DVD release for those that really must see the name of the set dog walker, or the shoe inventory clerk!

Rant over...

Kind of the same reason Marvel doesn't stick their adverts at the end of a comic like every other publisher. Just wait until after the credits there's a commercial before the final scene.

What's yours?

You guys can build anything

(worship)

So true! My misses brings home pics of stuff they work on all the time. Pretty incredible to know how it starts, what it REALLY is and see it in film after.

Very cool stuff Eclipse. Mucho respect sir!

+1 (thumbs u

Not saying it shouldn't be provided...just don't want to sit through it to see a scene.

My whole point is that I don't know anyone who really wants to see who the set designer was, etc...go ahead and play the credits...hell roll them 10 times, but don't make me sit through them to see the extra scene. Sorry if that insults you, but if I could avoid credits for the rest of my life, I'd be fine with that, and I'd be willing to bet the rest of the world would be as well.

Perspective can be everything as well...99.9% of the world never gets their names detailing they completed a task they were paid to do (or unpaid for that matter), and they're probably fine with it. Aside from people I work with, I don't feel the need to share my accomplishments at work with the world.

Just to underscore my point:

Securities Trader CEO - Jeff Peterson

Securities Trader CFO - Sam Johnson

Securities Trader CIO - Paul Williams

Assistant to the Securities Trader CEO - Mary Jo Gibney

Assistant to the Securities Trader CFO - June Johnson

Head Trader - Mike Watxon

2nd Assistant Trader - Bill Binger

Intern to Mr Watxon - Billy Boye

Receptionist - Bob Boye Jr

Maintenance Crew - Mandy Meeny, Joanne Meeny, Bob Billington

Security Team - Ace Security, Inc

Caterer - McDonalds, LLC

Security Golf Carts provided by Golf Cart Renters, Inc

Fuel provided by Roxxon

Credits entered by Supersonic Graphics Inc

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...see? Nobody really cares to see all of this stuff!

+1 (thumbs u

Sorry, and I mean no disrespect here (honestly), but why is it so "damn important"? It's good news that the movie employed 14,000 people, and that's great news for the economy, but why so important to understand the amount of work? Do you care about the amount of work I do to produce my respective product? Probably not, anymore than I need to know how much work you did to produce yours...not an insult, just the way it is.