• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bar + Comic Store...What do you Think?

55 posts in this topic

Here in NJ there is a comic book coffee shop in Asbury Park nj. Plan on going soon to visit.

https://www.facebook.com/ComicCryptCafe

Looks like it's closing.

Oh boy I haven't read the page in a few weeks. They are closing. Guess I will not be getting there in a few weeks. Thanks for the heads up.

Perhaps the concept is not sound or they just didn't execute well.

I do like the idea of combining a comic store with something else. If I won the lottery I'd consider opening a store that features my favorite things. Comics new and old, classic video games from the 80s like Pacman and foozeball tables - all things that I wasted a lot of time with.

Having owned both, I see no advantage to trying to open a combination.

A smoke free bar with expensive books secured properly and some statues that are for sale might work, but having new books and such- why? Is your bartender going to ring up comic sales? Will your patrons have to wait for their drinks while the beermaiden takes care of a comic sale?

I just don't see it. A bar where patrons can launder their clothes would work better.

A successful bar can be akin to owning a government printing press, but most bars fail.

They might survive, but they fail.

there is a comic book store in Florida that has a bar inside.

"A Comic Book Shop" - the bar part is called the "G33K Easy".

I've heard mixed reviews. Any board members been?

Yes when searching this was the only one that was somewhat similar to what to do...

That place is huge. Either its in the middle of nowhere or the owner owns the building.

A friend bought a coffee shop in Jackson Hole in the late 1990s and converted a portion to a comic shop that mostly sold trade paperbacks and higher end items. It was successful at first, but I lost touch and have no idea if it survived.

Brooklyn Zine Fest, and it most definitely had comics. Not Superman comics, but comics.

It's not a permanent installation in that bar though. I think it's an annual event, but it could be more frequent. I learned of the event from a small press guy I follow online who sells his wares there, along with a bunch of other small press guys. It's actually much larger than what's pictured, but this is the image that has the bar. The stage area looks like it could be in any crappy small town convention center or school auditorium or church basement. Several more vendors and it's packed like that throughout

Here in NJ there is a comic book coffee shop in Asbury Park nj. Plan on going soon to visit.

https://www.facebook.com/ComicCryptCafe

Looks like it's closing.

Oh boy I haven't read the page in a few weeks. They are closing. Guess I will not be getting there in a few weeks. Thanks for the heads up.

Perhaps the concept is not sound or they just didn't execute well.

I do like the idea of combining a comic store with something else. If I won the lottery I'd consider opening a store that features my favorite things. Comics new and old, classic video games from the 80s like Pacman and foozeball tables - all things that I wasted a lot of time with.

Foozeball huh? I will pimp slap you on my table in the basement if you ever make it out this way :sumo: