• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quick ?

20 posts in this topic

I bought #1 and thought it was quite diluted but had potential and was interesting.

Then, when I read #2 and very little happening… I was also put off by the fact she stretches his body more or less like Mr. Fantastic… or so it seemed.

I would be curious to read other issues, but not enthusiastic about giving Marvel the money, as I do not appreciate most of what they have been doing for years.

I gave up reading it after 2 issues. I was not impressed. Never bought a print issue.

61 Ms Marvel 5 $2.99 Marvel 33,795

Yea I found it unappealing and not all that well written. I was really hoping it was something I could pass on to my 9 year old daughter, but it wasn't good enough. The bullying aspect and racial issues also made me hesitant. I also believe it had underage drinking.

I was disappointed and I don't imagine it'll last long. I bet Ms. Marvel gets sucked in to some teen team book and they let her float there, but it didn't do it for me.

The whole weird fog thing in the first issue was also a pretty mediocre origin story.

In short, the book wasn't very good.

I agree almost entirely with Chris, and I find very problematic this idea of having a Marvel "universe" aimed at different target age ranges (or whatever).

I also agree with Comicopolis about the art: the artist could be good, but he lets these exaggerations get in the way.

I do not think it’s a "teenage" story anyway. Much of what Marvel is doing is a lot more immature and shows a far more problematic lack of background / vision than the single elements underlined. Most series, I found just poor, and nothing to do with Marvel’s original poetics and vision.

Gave it up after 2 issues as well. I just did not enjoy it at all.

To be clear, I gave up after #1. I have read #2 at my comic shop, which had a pair of copies or more. Import is very limited these days, so I don’t get to have a look at many new books or issues, and rather I just have a look on the web to have an idea if needed.

I find it enjoyable but it is obviously aimed at a younger audience.

The biggest problem is the 'awkward' art.

+1

I followed it for a few issues - but yeah, it's definitely aimed at teens, but I couldn't get into it like I could get into Nova (which is also aimed at a younger audience). I think the nature of her powers is odd and non-traditional, so it didn't stick with me.

I don't mind the art - but it's definitely it's own style.

At this point I am curious to hear why do you think it’s "aimed at teens"?

Nova was an entirely different matter, whether it was more close to a younger audience of readers, it was still in a time where Marvel cared to make things as a whole – even Spider-Man was a teenager, this has little or nothing to do with the quality of writing. Or at least it shouldn't.

Nova was obviously meant to be for the 1970s what Spidey had been for boys in the 1960s. They tried the same thing with Speedball, but not much successful, in the late 1980s.

This Ms. Marvel could have really been a nice thing in the hands of a good writer, but as long as one of the biggest worry is "political correctness" I guess art is out of the question, no matter how one looks at it… :P

This title is actually on my pull list. This time last year I was enrolled in a "Women of the Middle East" course to fulfill my minor requirements, and the instructor was also my Arabic teacher. Which, I found out later in the class, that she is a huge fan of comics and graphic novels, albeit the super obscure stuff about the Middle East. We had a 20 page term paper and presentation to write and I thought I was gonna kill myself because i had no clue what to write about. Then it clicked. The topic of my paper was "Representations of Middle Eastern Women in Comics". So of course, the news had come out of the new Ms. Marvel so I did some research on that and included it in my paper. So I pretty much had to pick up the first issue. Sometime after that I gave my presentation for Scholars week to a very small audience. I also got an A on the paper. I enjoy this comic for what it is. It's not something to take seriously and its quite funny at times. I have to say it is the most positive representation of a Middle Eastern woman that you are going to find published in mainstream comics. It helps that the writer is a Muslim woman and the character is based off of a female editor at Marvel that is Middle Eastern. Marvel and DC both really do not that many characters that are Middle Eastern women, and the ones they do have aren't that great of portrayals. However, Marvels Dust is pretty good representation, but does have several flaws and stereotypes to her character.