• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics insurance

39 posts in this topic

My wife and I have decided that it is about time to get insurance for our collection, I understand that regular homeowners is not sufficient to cover full replacement should something happen. Does anyone have a recommendation on a reputable company that specializes in insuring comic collections?

I have had a policy for three years. They are affordable and very easy to deal with. One of the best perks is that you don't have to buy USPS insurance when mailing as long as you have signature required.

and what about for us Canadians?

Won't they insure you too? Who the hell cares,your money looks like Monopoly money. lol

Just think of it like CGC labels. Yellow, Blue, and Green. Easy to differentiate. Us Canadians like to try and make life easy where we can.

If all CGC labels were one colour, that would suck! Just like your money :D

I have had a policy for three years. They are affordable and very easy to deal with. One of the best perks is that you don't have to buy USPS insurance when mailing as long as you have signature required.

+1 I figure the money I save on postal insurance pays my bill easily.

My wife and I have decided that it is about time to get insurance for our collection, I understand that regular homeowners is not sufficient to cover full replacement should something happen. Does anyone have a recommendation on a reputable company that specializes in insuring comic collections?

Does it depend on the policy and what you have explicitly declared? I have a home owners policy with a specific rider for our jewelry and my comics. I discussed it with the agent and he claimed that as long as I have declared them (I have) then they will be covered in the event of theft, flood, fire, etc.

Sure it doesn't cover mail but if you are not sending comics and just want to make sure that your collectibles are covered you can get this done through homeowners. I have no idea how cost effective it is compared to collectinsure.com and in my case my coverage amount doesn't need to be very high.

Does it depend on the policy and what you have explicitly declared? I have a home owners policy with a specific rider for our jewelry and my comics. I discussed it with the agent and he claimed that as long as I have declared them (I have) then they will be covered in the event of theft, flood, fire, etc.

Sure it doesn't cover mail but if you are not sending comics and just want to make sure that your collectibles are covered you can get this done through homeowners. I have no idea how cost effective it is compared to collectinsure.com and in my case my coverage amount doesn't need to be very high.

1) With all due respect to any insurance agents here, I would not take his word at face value. Many times they are wrong either intentionally or because they misunderstood as well. You won't find you're not covered until you've had a loss and they deny your claim. Most homeowner's policies do not cover collectible without a separate rider.

2) The cost from CIA is nominal and way cheaper than a rider.

1) With all due respect to any insurance agents here, I would not take his word at face value. Many times they are wrong either intentionally or because they misunderstood as well. You won't find you're not covered until you've had a loss and they deny your claim. Most homeowner's policies do not cover collectible without a separate rider.

I do fear number 1 and I will have to look into number 2. The annual for the rider was pretty cheap but it has been a couple years since I did any comparison shopping. Thanks! (thumbs u

and what about for us Canadians?

Won't they insure you too? Who the hell cares,your money looks like Monopoly money. lol

Just think of it like CGC labels. Yellow, Blue, and Green. Easy to differentiate. Us Canadians like to try and make life easy where we can.

If all CGC labels were one colour, that would suck! Just like your money :D

Ern,you are awesome.Come by sometime and we'll drink REAL beer!!

I do fear number 1 and I will have to look into number 2. The annual for the rider was pretty cheap but it has been a couple years since I did any comparison shopping. Thanks! (thumbs u

A reason you may want to take a second look at what the rider actually covers. My understanding is that most riders that expand homeowner's insurance to include collectibles at their market value are expensive. But maybe your insurance company is an exception.

Ditto on collectinsure.com. I just got a policy for my collection and the on-line application is super-easy. I asked for a specimen policy and read it before signing up, and didn't see any gimmicks or trap doors -- of course, you should ask for your own specimen copy and read it yourself to make your own decision.

Has anyone actually collected from them upon a loss?

http://www.collectinsure.com

You'll thank me. (thumbs u

In another thread a couple of people said that they are good about paying off after a loss but, as I remember, after the third claim they drop you. You may want to search for that thread because I may not be correctly remembering what was said.

Has anyone actually collected from them upon a loss?

http://www.collectinsure.com

You'll thank me. (thumbs u

In another thread a couple of people said that they are good about paying off after a loss but, as I remember, after the third claim they drop you. You may want to search for that thread because I may not be correctly remembering what was said.

I remember that thread, and you're right. I'm not 100% sure it's three, but it was a certain amount of claims before they drop you. Three sounds right, though.