• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

I saw it Tuesday with my brother, he remarked that," it was better than he thought and the commercials don't do it justice!"

I have qualms about it but overall it was enjoyable!

9 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I saw it Tuesday with my brother, he remarked that," it was better than he thought and the commercials don't do it justice!"

I have qualms about it but overall it was enjoyable!

'qualms'?

I'm seeing it today. It will be interesting to see what concerns there may be that you picked up on.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

'qualms'?

I'm seeing it today. It will be interesting to see what concerns there may be that you picked up on.

It's probably nothing that you would take issue with :foryou:

Tag me after you see it and I'll give you my reasoning... it just has something to do with a conversation I had with my dad over the phone about his comic collecting days, he mentioned some things that were different that I now have "qualms" because now I have to explain to him the movie...

Enjoy it though! I liked it!

32 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's probably nothing that you would take issue with :foryou:

Tag me after you see it and I'll give you my reasoning... it just has something to do with a conversation I had with my dad over the phone about his comic collecting days, he mentioned some things that were different that I now have "qualms" because now I have to explain to him the movie...

Enjoy it though! I liked it!

No worries. Some will like a film. Some won't. One constant complaint from the old Fawcett Comics fans is this is not following THEIR Captain Marvel/Shazam lore. The same challenge that comes with characters around for multiple decades which went through a few lore revisions.

There is an artist on social media that is such a Fawcett fanatic he made it a regular topic to predict this movie will fail. Even after David Sandberg confirmed he took influence from many periods.

Shazam's Director Explains How The Comics Influenced The Hero's Costume

We'll see how it goes. From all the positive messaging, it sounds like it has strong potential.

Just came back from the Fandango pre-screening of Shazam. And the way they handled this is no trailers before the film. You go right into seeing the main film.

shazam_stand01.thumb.PNG.19df1dbfd29e3860b39fa493865913f4.PNG

That was a fun movie! And more than a few surprises that were not hinted at in any of the trailers (thank goodness). One near the end brought applause at my theater, which was great to hear. And there is definitely a horror element to this film that took advantage of Sandberg's experience which was very fitting. And the nods to many characters across the DC Universe were really cool, as you get symbols throughout hinting to how this part of the universe worships many of the characters.

There are parts of the family backstory that are slightly necessary but feel like they drag out. In the end, it gives you a deeper understanding of the characters and the direction. And there is a pre-credits scene and a mid-credits scene. So no need to stick around to the end that I experienced, as once that mid-credit was done the theater raised the lights. The production team definitely had fun with the credit content.

Overall, I'd give this an 8.5/10.0 due to character designs, incorporating key elements of the Captain Marvel/Shazam lore, an engaging story and promises of a larger adventure.

Edited by Bosco685
Making overall a final score

I just came back from watching a sneak peak. I am picky with comic book movies and with only a few exceptions (Spidey 2, Supes78, Infinity War, Winter Soldier) most comic book films for me land in the 5 to 7.5 range out of 10.  Shazam! Is a 9 out 10.  Absolutely terrific movie.  Highly recommend it.

Edited by zosocane

5 minutes ago, zosocane said:

I just came back from watching a sneak peak. I am picky with comic book movies and with only a few exceptions (ASM 2, Supes78, Infinity War) most comic book films for me land in the 5 to 7.5 range out of 10.  Shazam! Is a 9 out 10.  Absolutely terrific movie.  Highly recommend it.

Did you have a pre-credit scene and a mid-credit scene?

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
22 minutes ago, zosocane said:

I just came back from watching a sneak peak. I am picky with comic book movies and with only a few exceptions (ASM 2, Supes78, Infinity War) most comic book films for me land in the 5 to 7.5 range out of 10.  Shazam! Is a 9 out 10.  Absolutely terrific movie.  Highly recommend it.

Did you have a pre-credit scene and a mid-credit scene?

I'll give my reasoning in spoilers...

Spoiler

It was great, but when shazaam was kneeling in front of Sylvania... he touches the staff and has a flash back to the other "thrones", but shazaam is touching the staff and sylavana is waiting for shazaam to say, well SHAZAAM!.... shazaam gets the idea to share powers but has the "others" say shazaam.... so this whole time that he was having the flash back holding the staff, Sylvania could have said shazaam himself.... the only critique of an awesome movie!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'll give my reasoning in spoilers...

Hide contents

It was great, but when shazaam was kneeling in front of Sylvania... he touches the staff and has a flash back to the other "thrones", but shazaam is touching the staff and sylavana is waiting for shazaam to say, well SHAZAAM!.... shazaam gets the idea to share powers but has the "others" say shazaam.... so this whole time that he was having the flash back holding the staff, Sylvania could have said shazaam himself.... the only critique of an awesome movie!

Thanks for pointing this out...

Spoiler

I think the wielder of the magical powers is the one that has to say the word in order to pass it on to someone else. The kids saying 'Shazam' was them doing this once they had their hands on the staff.

Could get a little tricky. But it could come down to the kids were not powered up yet to pass on power, but more they were receiving such powers.