• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sunfire & Big Hero 6

315 posts in this topic

Good luck to anyone with either book. Happy profits but personally since Marvel is NOT releasing a Big Hero Six series to go along with the movie and if I were a kid.....I'd be more into the toy line.

kids arent driving comic sales any time soon. But, 20 years from now, when someone who collects comics wants a copy of the first appearance of that cartoon he watched as a kid, one will be worth more than the other.... :)

Good luck to anyone with either book. Happy profits but personally since Marvel is NOT releasing a Big Hero Six series to go along with the movie and if I were a kid.....I'd be more into the toy line.

Me too! :grin:

so wait is Alpha Flight 17 the first appearance or not? :devil:

Well, if you consider the rushed "work for hire" release of the Big Hero 6 team by a group of hacks, thrown together and leaned on by an oppressive employer, and not by the true creators of the team, a "first appearance", then it is not. :devil:

1.) Nearly everything anyone does for Marvel is work for hire. They own your creations if you decide to do so under their contract, they also tell you what series to write/draw and what to do, if you want the paycheck. This is nothing different, don't make it out to be.

2.) I'm not sure where you get the whole " rushed" idea. Ive read the mini series. The writing isn't rushed, nor is the artwork. The fact that they didn't wait for Seagle to introduce the team how he wanted to, doesn't mean it was rushed, they just went ahead with the series instead of waiting, which made Seagle change AF 17.

3.) So Scott Lobdell and Gus Vasquez are Hacks, yet Duncan Rouleau and Steve Seagle are not? :roflmao: Im willing to bet the average comic fan only recognizes one name, which is Scott Lobdell.

4.) " True Creators of the team" That they are, and they are credited for the story idea in Sufire and BH6 # 1, and almost certainly had much influence on the series.

5.) Marvel is Oppressive? No doubt, , many horror stories from both major publishers taking creations of work for hire people and turning it into multi million dollar characters. Hell the Kirby estate has been at war with Marvel for Decades, and once every decade they get a fat check after threatening to sue again. Most recently Disney paid them a ton of money.

Guess what? It doesn't matter.

What matters is what happened.

The first Appearance of Big Hero Six is Sunfire and Big Hero 6 # 1. Based on the ideas of Seagle and Rouleau, who were surely paid for those ideas by Marvel.

Im sure if someone on this board has time, they can find examples of other characters created by a person who didn't work on their first appearance. I think you all are blowing this whole ( the creators didn't work on the first appearance ) thing out of proportion.

How about this:

The OWNERS of the Big Hero Six property decided that they wanted to introduce the team in Sunfire and Big Hero Six # 1. They did, and that is that people.

:gossip: Dude must have a case of them . . . :roflmao:

Fyi SD the :devil: is used to show that you're making trouble for the sake of making trouble. You really need to take a deep breath. lol

I understand that brother. You do a good job of it. Sometimes there is some of how one really feels in jokes, so I still responded.

Also, I think we both know that some folks here come and read things and take everything quite literally, even the obvious sarcasm or jokes.

Either way, even tho you are being sarcastic; Ive already mentioned I have a few of each issue of all the big hero six appearances.

I think the ones that are coming here pushing AF 16/17 are the same ones messing with the fully editable wiki, because they in fact have tonnage of AF hm

:foryou:

I think the ones that are coming here pushing AF 16/17 are the same ones messing with the fully editable wiki, because they in fact have tonnage of AF hm

My copy has already sold. :cool: Unless I run across a bundle of them, I've got no dog in the race. However, this discussion (and many like it) have shown how silly the reliance on "1st App" designation is. Often, the 2nd App is the defining appearance of a character. :sumo:

if you mean relying on CGC, then yes, the market is what decides, but unfortunately, CGC can alter the market because there are enough speculators buying labels, and if it isnt a well decided thing (like IH 181), suddenly having it on a label can overwhelm decades of accepted market conditions...

When was the first time you ate today? The first time. Not when you meant to, but the first time you actually did. That would be the first. Nuff Said

Does the rule also apply when it comes out?

When was the first time you ate today? The first time. Not when you meant to, but the first time you actually did. That would be the first. Nuff Said

In this scenario is the menu considered the cameo?

Or the egg carton if you made scrambled eggs?

That's exactly what I was thinking. lol

In this scenario is the menu considered the cameo?

Or the egg carton if you made scrambled eggs?

:signfunny:

This is dumb because the market has already decided that both can be considered first appearance.

And again, Mayan engineering is the result of the cluster-fun of the release dates.

We now officially have a quorum. :sumo:

This is dumb because the market has already decided that both can be considered first appearance.

And again, Mayan engineering is the result of the cluster-fun of the release dates.

The market may have decided that both issues are desirable, but there's no factual basis to the notion that they're both first appearances.

The market may have decided that both issues are desirable, but there's no factual basis to the notion that they're both first appearances.

Saying the Mayans didn't exist is a pretty weird world view dude

So based on this thread:

Even though Kamala Khan appeared in Captain Marvel 14 seven months before her solo series and Captain Marvel 17 three months beforehand, Ms. Marvel 1 is actually her first appearance because that is the first work with the creative team. Got it (thumbs u

If it doesn't come out until 2 months later, I think I'd have a serious problem lol

So based on this thread:

Even though Kamala Khan appeared in Captain Marvel 14 seven months before her solo series and Captain Marvel 17 three months beforehand, Ms. Marvel 1 is actually her first appearance because that is the first work with the creative team. Got it (thumbs u

Yes. (But you forgot the Marvel Super-Heroes thingy . . . ) :devil:

I have an interesting perspective on this. When the very first rumors happened a couple years back, I was the person who emptied both midtowncomics.com and mycomicshop.com of their then stock of Big Hero Six books(below cover). At that point in time AF17 was nothing, and the market was 100% after the much harder to find (at that time) BHS stuff.

Because of the possibility to dispute the first appearance and the much greater availability to purchase AF17, that train came out of the station significantly later, helped by this board and others, by people who were buying and pumping it. I bought a few copies of it once people started shilling it, to make sure I was covered there as well before any big jump in price.

The BHS is much easier to get nowadays as it has all come out of the woodwork in the interim. If the "market has decided" that both can be, that was only after the fact, and was a sea change. The market is still in flux, and ultimately the CGC labels will (sadly to say) decide the ultimate winner.

Personally, I think the 1:10 variant on the modern series is by far the rarest BH6 book to get. I am sure I'll keep one of everything because that's how I roll, but the 1:10 variant would be the last thing I sold if I was selling everything.