• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ungraded Slabs?

30 posts in this topic

Here's a potential new revenue stream for CGC: ungraded slabs, for those who simply want the protection of the slab but aren't interested in the resto check or number. Maybe has an identifying label , maybe not. Certainly opens the door for potential shenanigans, but I think this idea has merit.

Here's a potential new revenue stream for CGC: ungraded slabs, for those who simply want the protection of the slab but aren't interested in the resto check or number. Maybe has an identifying label , maybe not. Certainly opens the door for potential shenanigans, but I think this idea has merit.

So you can't read the book, and you also lose the ease and liquidity of selling a professionally graded book. That sounds fantastic!!

So you can't read the book, and you also lose the ease and liquidity of selling a professionally graded book. That sounds fantastic!!

:takeit: But I understand where the OP is coming from. But frames like RH mentioned would be your best route.

I see where the poster is coming from.

If you think back to the pre CGC there were many of us

snapping up the Chris Pedrin holder just for storage or display.

CGC already has the molds sized, a new mold machined

with the slight alteration of a snap or slide lock so the

book could be accessed would work.

A nice creative label program to go along with it and I think it would sell.

Oooh!

Then they could start selling reprinted covers of key issues with multi-page blank inserts stapeled to them. You know, just for wall decoration!

Then you could buy the empty case + "wall-art" + add your own creative influences. Maybe a signature commemorating the artist that created it, or drew it. And a custom label of your own manufacture!!!

YES! Lets do that!! :makepoint:

-Terry

Have you seen the ComiCase product? Same general idea I think.

I would rather another company make a similarly-sized slab case where you could customize and insert your own comic and label up top.

I'm down with this idea. I bought a Ryan Ottley sketch through a boardie from BostonCon. It looks great in a mylar, but I would like to have it slabbed to protect it long term. But, don't really want a green label, so (shrug)

Of course this wouldn't appeal to everyone, for all those reasons and more. But I suspect there would be a market for these.

How about we split the difference and just have the option (cheaper) to not grade SS/Sketch books? They could be assigned a yellow label "NG" like those produced with aftermarket blank covers. It could lower the price point entry for collectors and still be a witnessed book.

I don't see this as a viable option. To Seanfingh's point, you would lose the chance to sell and read it. If you want to have the book protected, there are cheaper options which you can then remove the book from to read.

Like I said, they wouldn't appeal to everyone...BUT, you cannot deny there is a very common touch of OCD in many collectors that I think would find consistant slabbing appealing. I do absolutely agree with all the negative comments here, which is hy I say this wouldn't be for everyone (myself included), but I think it's a service they could offer and I suspect they would do ok with it. Everything is already in place, and it would be a much faster process. Unless the slabbing machines are running 24/7 (and I know they are backed up, but I assume it is more the human factor than how long the actual slabbing process takes), why not? Do you prefer fewer options?

I just invented a better solution and I'm going to call it a mylar.

I just invested a better solution and I'm going to call it a mylar.

(worship)

I sent a very nice FF 11 in to be stabbed and it came back un slabbed with a note saying it has an "overhang" and they couldn't/wouldn't slab it. I think they need some way to deal with that. I have no way to have it graded (except with some other company) or I guess I can just keep it in Mylar.