• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back from CGC today!!!!! Take a guess and see PGM Detective 35

66 posts in this topic

How is it only a 1.0? It looks great!

From what I gather the spine is completely split. Making the front cover "loose". If this is the case a 1.0 doesn't surprise me.

Ah. Missed that the cover was split.

I misread it as well, thinking the front was off the staples but the back still held, a not uncommon flaw in GA books, didn't read it initially as the spine being completely split, which drops in to the FR range even without brown pages.

Yeah, it's a bit confusing. Seems like "front cover entirely split and detached" would have been a more descriptive label note than "front cover detached". It almost sounds like a regular cover wrap detachment rather than a full split.

In any case, killer book, no worries!

Depending on what "brown pages" really mean.. Could be slightly brittle, or between light tan to brittle, who knows. Hard to decide what grade it would get if restored, but I would leave the book as is personally.

Exactly. What the f--- does it mean ? It's literally just the colour of the pages.

I recently got a book back with another, never before seen or heard of "PQ" designation on the label that made no sense. It has gotten so random, inconsistent and meaningless they might as well just scrap it. Only "slightly brittle" and "brittle" pages are actual "page qualities" anyway. The rest of it just refers to colour, the variations of which may or may not have anything to do with oxidation, paper degradation, or whatever.

CGC's opinion of "PQ" means squat to me. At least the structural grade can be divined through the slab and graders notes.

I could only imagine what some of the responses would be if this book was posted in comics general.

-J.

pic ?

I did not scan it. I put it in the safe box as soon as it came back. Out of sight out of mind. And it's ridiculous because the cover is amazingly bright, the back is super white. Completely inconsistent with what they put as the "page COLOUR" on the label. Seeing this guy's book has gotten me all riled up again about it. I don't want to make a stink about it on the boards though. But I'm still a more than a little :pullhair:

-J.

First time I've seen brown pages on a label. They should use "peanut brittle pages" at some point lol. PQ has always been a debatable topic with CGC grading as far as distinguishing paper suppleness and color, which are not the same. Pages can be "brown" but still supple. Page color is somewhat an indication of the pulp stiffening and aging. Plenty of books out there that are supple but stuck in "light tan to ow" or "tan pages" labels.

Nice appeal on that 35. Best Bat splash.

First time I've seen brown pages on a label. They should use "peanut brittle pages" at some point lol. PQ has always been a debatable topic with CGC grading as far as distinguishing paper suppleness and color, which are not the same. Pages can be "brown" but still supple. Page color is somewhat an indication of the pulp stiffening and aging. Plenty of books out there that are supple but stuck in "light tan to ow" or "tan pages" labels.

Nice appeal on that 35. Best Bat splash.

+1

Well said Primetime.

-J.

Is it possible someone made a mistake designating the pages brown?

If no one has heard of this distinction (me included) and no one has seen it on another label, perhaps it was some oversight/mistake?

Of course this is a book that, you would assume, received 'extra' attention/oversight at CGC so as I am typing this I am starting to think it was probably not some mistake...

Book still presents amazingly well for the grade IMHO.

CGC Grader 1 to CGC Grader 2: "So, uh...what do you think of the page quality of this detective comics 35?"

CGC Grader 2 to CGC Grader 1: "I don't know. Better ask Brown ( CGC Grader 3)"

CGC Grader 1 to Encapsulation Department: "Brown it is!"

CGC Grader 1 to CGC Grader 2: "So, uh...what do you think of the page quality of this detective comics 35?"

CGC Grader 2 to CGC Grader 1: "I don't know. Better ask Brown ( CGC Grader 3)"

CGC Grader 1 to Encapsulation Department: "Brown it is!"

:roflmao:

Brown, cream, pink, off-white. You say enough of these exotic "PQ"'s in a row it's going to sound like you're taking dirty.

-J.