• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Summer Featured auction -- post 'em if you got 'em (or got blown out)

280 posts in this topic

Nothing stops you from collecting your own publically available auction results and tracking them.

True - buts that's why I pay GPA to give me price info on my slabs.

That's like paying someone to write you a book report when they've only read the first three chapters.

If you want all the info, you have to do your homework.

exactly!!

and yet some whine when the teachers (CLINK) leave the answers (pending sales) lying around :screwy:

Nothing stops you from collecting your own publically available auction results and tracking them.

That's like paying someone to write you a book report when they've only read the first three chapters.

exactly!!

and yet some whine when the teachers (CLINK) leave the answers (pending sales) lying around :screwy:

I've always had the same thought. :sumo:

exactly!!

I agree the pending info is good but considering E-Bay "publishes" the 90 day sales history then what does GPA give you that you can't get from both of those sources?

exactly!!

Well, when the new slab tracking service starts up, hopefully they'll keep better track of the market as well as the competition. :whistle:

exactly!!

I agree the pending info is good but considering E-Bay "publishes" the 90 day sales history then what does GPA give you that you can't get from both of those sources?

GPA gives you Heritage, ComicConnect (although delayed), eBay, Pedigree (FWIW) and a few dealer sales. Maybe more that I'm missing.

What GPA does is combine it all into a nice, easily navigated site. You can get all the data GPA provides, it would just take you a lot of time and effort, and that time is worth more than $11 a month IMO.

exactly!!

guess it would depend on what you collect. 90% of the DC silver i'm bidding on don't have any sales in a 90 day E-Bay window. heck, in most cases they don't have a reported sale within the past 2-3 years. i also like to see where that sweet TC pedigree (for example), which was originally a 9.2 has now been squished to a 9.6.

exactly!!

GPA gives you Heritage, ComicConnect (although delayed), eBay, Pedigree (FWIW) and a few dealer sales. Maybe more that I'm missing.

What GPA does is combine it all into a nice, easily navigated site. You can get all the data GPA provides, it would just take you a lot of time and effort, and that time is worth more than $11 a month IMO.

Great info, thanks. I just got GPA again and I'm on the fence with keeping it. It seems like unless you deal with the very high end books that go on Heritage or ComicConnect then it's really not helpful. Especially considering you have to look up the ComicLink data to get the whole picture. But at $11 a month it only has to help a bit to be worth the money.

Even all the sites together don't make up the whole picture. There are so many variables.

A few years ago, GPA decided to include auctions in their data from a smaller auction house. I'm not going to name them because this isn't about them and I have nothing against them but many of the books I tracked went for record lows simply because they are not an established auction house IMO for higher end books.

Those recorded sales crushed some books on GPA and it literally took years for those books to recover on the open market. Why?

Because people would look at the recorded sales on GPA and assume that the book was in a death spiral.

And why? Because an auction house who didn't often auction comics was auctioning off high end comics.

There is also eye appeal, PQ, time of day, time of year and many other variables to take into account. And most importantly, time. It takes time to form a trend...like months. And maybe a year.

Analyzing things in a real time scenario will never give someone an accurate picture.

Market correction on hawk-man #4 9.6 went $2400 under last GPA sale. Still a little high.

I was the under-bidder on that one and it's only because I have one to sell to upgrade. It's not a 7k book. Just because someone bought a copy at 7k just means someone threw a lot of money at it for whatever reason. After commission, someone took $4300 for it. In my eyes if I were to put that up for auction tomorrow, that's what I should expect to get in hand. It's now a $4300 book.

The FF49 went for near its all time high. Looking at lower grades and their trends, someone overpaid. Unless someone wants the story run in the highest grade and price doesn't matter to them.

GPA is great, but you will always have dealers that say that sales are anomalies in order to justify their high prices.

You also have customers who like to quote GPA lows when buying and GPA highs when selling.

And good looking copies of books do tend to fetch more than lesser appealing copies, so there are anomalies in both directions.

Read my last post before this one. ;)

GPA is great, but you will always have dealers that say that sales are anomalies in order to justify their high prices.

There is little reason to deal with dealers with all of these auction sites. On the buy, they claim they are dealers and need to pay you under GPA. On the sell, GPA doesn't matter because they know better. I can open an LLC for $250, get a webpage for $99. Will you sell me your books at 75% GPA and buy them at 140% GPA?

GPA is the guide. Don't let used car salesmen tell you otherwise. Think about what YOU can sell it for tomorrow before plopping down your money. You need to average out 6-months of GPA data and then look at lower grades to see trends because there is more movement in lower grades because of quantity.

Swung and missed on the captain courageous books...the #6 and the Banner Comics #3 and the #4 :cry: started going after the National Comics #16 :cloud9: but it's now almost $100 over what the exact book sold for in 2013 and slightly around what a 4.5 sold for last year as well...darn classic covers lol congrats to the seller and whoever wins it...I may push it tonight who knows...got my eye on a few others but I always seem to get bid right up to my max and just when I think I got it...poof...underbidder...I try to stick my max in with a couple hours left and let it ride...sometimes it was meant to be...most of the time it's not!! (thumbs u :grin: GL to everyone tonight :wishluck:

Blown out so far. The one I was most interested in was the Tec 73. (I like Selkirk copies in part because I bought a couple of them from the original owner's son when they first came to market.) The bidding was above what I could pay even before the final day. When did that become a $10K book in 9.0? Is it just because the Scarecrow was in one of the movies??? I was expecting it to sell for right around guide when I first saw it.

Since people hate World's Finest 3, this is becoming the de-facto first appearance of Scarecrow (although it's his second).

Another example of first cover being worth more than 1st app? Black Canary (although this may be going the other way)

There is little reason to deal with dealers with all of these auction sites. On the buy, they claim they are dealers and need to pay you under GPA. On the sell, GPA doesn't matter because they know better. I can open an LLC for $250, get a webpage for $99. Will you sell me your books at 75% GPA and buy them at 140% GPA?

GPA is the guide. Don't let used car salesmen tell you otherwise. Think about what YOU can sell it for tomorrow before plopping down your money. You need to average out 6-months of GPA data and then look at lower grades to see trends because there is more movement in lower grades because of quantity.

lol

Wow, that was insulting. So dealers are basically obsolete and are used car saleseman?

There are also many collectors who don't use GPA. They use OSPG. What does that make them?

There are many types of markets, many types of dealers and many types of collectors. There is no one right way.

And many of those books that you buy at auction often originate with a dealer.

Even all the sites together don't make up the whole picture. There are so many variables.

A few years ago, GPA decided to include auctions in their data from a smaller auction house. I'm not going to name them because this isn't about them and I have nothing against them but many of the books I tracked went for record lows simply because they are not an established auction house IMO for higher end books.

Those recorded sales crushed some books on GPA and it literally took years for those books to recover on the open market. Why?

Because people would look at the recorded sales on GPA and assume that the book was in a death spiral.

And why? Because an auction house who didn't often auction comics was auctioning off high end comics.

There is also eye appeal, PQ, time of day, time of year and many other variables to take into account. And most importantly, time. It takes time to form a trend...like months. And maybe a year.

Analyzing things in a real time scenario will never give someone an accurate picture.

So basically... it depends.

lol

Wow, that was insulting. So dealers are basically obsolete and are used car saleseman?

A DIY-type guy is going to see it that way. They (and consignment sites) do a LOT of the busy work which is worth it to a lot of collectors - busy ones, those who want one payment for a lot of stuff after one auction, those without scanners etc