• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will non-key issues become nearly worthless??

144 posts in this topic

Now, just to pick a random (but related*) example of a man in his late 20s from (roughly) the era which produced both Superman and Curt Swan, here's a picture of Charles Atlas, age 28 or so, in 1921:

Charles_Atlas_-_Physical_Culture_Magazine_-_October_1921.JPG

Maybe it's just me, but young adults in their 20s and early 30s from the pre-WWII era (and for a while thereafter) looked and carried themselves "older" than today's 20 and 30-somethings. So I don't think Swan's Supes is too far off the mark, given that Swan himself was born in 1920.

Interesting argument.

1940s.jpg

Can you think of one key book-eg first app that has dropped in value? Besides Howard the Duck or modern flash in the pans.
Well, you just answered your own question.

But take a look back at the speculative 90's when collecting trends were different, and people were apparently trading high grade Silver Age keys for modern drek. The collecting trends have changed, and now a slab with a 9.8 on the label is worth 300% more than one with a 9.6, and a slab with 9.9 on the label is worth 500% more than one with a 9.8. I can imagine those collecting trends to change.

Also, things that are hyped thanks to movies. I can imagine eventually when all these movies are a memory of the 2010's the way Brat Pack movies are a memory of the 1980's, then things might cool off. Not saying keys will become worthless, but when my father was buying as much land as he could circa 2006 he said "Land only increases in value!" That turned out to not be true. I'd also say it's not especially smart to buy gold and silver when they're at their historic peak in the slim hope legal tender currency as we know it ends it's several thousand year history of working and all the sudden we're trading a pinch of gold dust for a shot at the local saloon. Not going to happen.

Something that was in bargain bins for forty years and within the past ten months has become a wall book because a movie deal had been reported is no less a flash in the pan than a modern Image #1 released within the past four months is.

Ps check out this page that has sat unsold on ebay for years-originally priced at $100-didnb't selll so his solution? keep raising the price by $100....the thing with Swan is depending on the inker they're either hot or not

This is one of the non-hot inkers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURT-SWAN-ORIGINAL-ART-AQUAMAN-3-PAGE-22-SPLASH-PAGE-FN-/331290285241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d227094b9

Either you had an atypical store or your memory is a bit off. The KGBeast (the Zeck covers) and Death or Robin "minis" were before the movie, for one thing. So you're right, that Batman sales gained momentum with those, but once the movie came out and the new LOTDK series came out, Batman has been ruling DC ever since. It's very easy to find Batman issues from 1989-1993 compared to the years before. That's because print runs took off.

Batman was on a pretty steady upward trend with Dark Knight and then Year One and then the "minis," some gritty covers in there, etc. But the movie definitely made a difference in the general market.

I can't speak for the current generation, but the 1989 Batman movie got me into comics.

I was working at a comic shop at the time that was released, and the uptick in sales of Batman was negligible. In fact, Batman sales, for the most part, were terrible in the store unless there were some sort of tie-in or special event.

Batman Year One sold amazingly well in '87 (it sold 100+ copies for each of the four issues), but issue #408 went right back down to the normal 10 or 12 copies a month.

When the movie came out, we had a few people come into the store, but it may have pushed it up from 10 or 12 a month to 15 or 16.

What pulled it out was a consistent mini-series within a series that made everyone want to buy it -- the one with the Zeck covers, the death of Robin, and eventually him breaking his back.

Curt Swan and George Klein produced some great material - a classic SA art team. As a Legion and imaginary story fan, I'm strongly biased in favour.

I also like Kurt Schaffenberger's style - great figurework and expressive faces.

Curt Swan and George Klein produced some great material - a classic SA art team. As a Legion and imaginary story fan, I'm strongly biased in favour.

I also like Kurt Schaffenberger's style - great figurework and expressive faces.

I like Kurt Schaffenberger's style, especially his work on Lois Lane.