• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I received an interesting phone call last week...

495 posts in this topic

Man were they surprised to see me back at their door after I sold those two books with cash in hand (1/2 the proceeds from those two books) to give them. It really helped them out and they were totally floored. lol That really made a good collection find story into a GREAT one.

It's nice that you were in a position to do that.

What people don't get around here is that some of us are not in that kind of position at all.

Congrats, Brock!

Peace,

Chip

Well, in my case, it was found money. I bought books given what I saw and got a lotto ticket out of it that was unforeseen.

There was MORE than enough to go around. I made money, they made money.

I don't think I was in a position any different than anyone else, in that it was a windfall.

Chris: And that's why you are an absolute class act and well respected amongst ALL board members. :foryou:

Jim

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

@ Chip - your ability to play the income inequality card and have it bite you in the buttocks knows no bounds.

How so? It depends on the books, I suppose. It also depends on what's "accepted" by the forum police here as what percentage is deemed "worthy."

Sure, if I sell $100,000 worth of books that I bought for $1,000 I have no problem giving thousands back...but $50,000? Really? Everyone here that's NOT well-off would do that?

Peace,

Chip

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

@ Chip - your ability to play the income inequality card and have it bite you in the buttocks knows no bounds.

I do my very best to be the same person in both the business and personal sides of my life.

It's probably cost me millions over the years but it's given me benefits I would have never enjoyed had I acted solely out of self-interest.

I am not projecting my personal karmic balance on anyone, just imparting my own personal art find windfall lotto ticket experience. For me, sharing the good fortune made it 1,000 times better. I still made thousands more in profit than I would have without finding those two books in the collection.

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

How so? It depends on the books, I suppose. It also depends on what's "accepted" by the forum police here as what percentage is deemed "worthy."

Sure, if I sell $100,000 worth of books that I bought for $1,000 I have no problem giving thousands back...but $50,000? Really? Everyone here that's NOT well-off would do that?

Peace,

Chip

:eyeroll:

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

I do my very best to be the same person in both the business and personal sides of my life.

It's probably cost me millions over the years but it's given me benefits I would have never enjoyed had I acted solely out of self-interest.

I am not projecting my personal karmic balance on anyone, just imparting my own personal art find windfall lotto ticket experience. For me, sharing the good fortune made it 1,000 times better. I still made thousands more in profit than I would have without finding those two books in the collection.

:applause: (thumbs u

If you're not well off due to your own lack of hard work, fairness and honesty don't apply! :whee:

I've had just about enough of you, twit. I work as hard as I can every damn day to put food on the table.

You know nothing about my life, so shut your hole.

20 books and didn't notice a top 10 GA book until you got home. yea, right.

+ 1

Laid out $1500 but was unsure because he didn't have the time to be thourough looking through one lousy box of comics?

Better story this way.

I'd like to hear the real story of how they agreed on the $1500 number. I'll bet that would be a better story too.

Man were they surprised to see me back at their door after I sold those two books with cash in hand (1/2 the proceeds from those two books) to give them. It really helped them out and they were totally floored. lol That really made a good collection find story into a GREAT one.

What people don't get around here is that some of us are not in that kind of position at all.

Congrats, Brock!

Peace,

Chip

Well, in my case, it was found money. I bought books given what I saw and got a lotto ticket out of it that was unforeseen.

I don't think I was in a position any different than anyone else, in that it was a windfall.

This has become a big change for me. I may never become rich from buying/selling comics because I believe there is enough money to be made for both parties by being fair.

A few weeks ago a flea market that I visit I found a copy of MOS17 and 18. The vendor who I buy books from had them at a $1 each. I paid him $10 plus took another $20 in random books (not worth the price I paid).

I saw him last week and he remembered me and said how it had not been a good day and was thinking of not coming back this week. He offered me 30 books for $35 so he could make his weekly goal.

I didn't take 30 books but took enough to equal the $35 he was looking for and asked him to come back next week.

I understand it's not the same as an x-men 1 or a golden age book, but the principle still applies. There's plenty of meat on the bone for everyone.

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

Peace,

Chip

Oh, so you would do that? Just give away $50k?

Must be nice to be that well-off.

Peace,

Chip

If you're not well off due to your own lack of hard work, fairness and honesty don't apply! :whee:

I've had just about enough of you, twit. I work as hard as I can every damn day to put food on the table.

Is this considered a personal attack?

From him to me? Sure it was. I responded in kind.

Peace,

Chip

@comix4fun - kudos sir.

Peace,

Chip

Oh, so you would do that? Just give away $50k?

Must be nice to be that well-off.

Peace,

Chip

Nah, not really well-off. But that has nothing to do with being a person with integrity and good morals.

Peace.

Cricket

Congrats, Brock!

Peace,

Chip

Chris: And that's why you are an absolute class act and well respected amongst ALL board members. :foryou:

Jim

Not all board members :whatev:

J/K he knows I :luhv: him.

Peace,

Chip

Calling him a twit is kind?

Nah, not really well-off. But that has nothing to do with being a person with integrity and good morals.

So if you don't give half of a windfall to charity or someone you purchase something from for pennies on the dollar you don't have integrity and good morals?

Give me a break.

Peace,

Chip

Peace,

Chip

Doesn't sound very "peaceful".