• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Open Letter to CGC

226 posts in this topic

Why are you starting this thread on a Saturday afternoon when you know it won't be read by CGC for a couple of days?

:gossip:

I think the likelihood that they are going to answer here is minimal. I also believe Stanley expects that and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he's hoping they don't to make a bigger point about how they don't care about their customers proving exactly what his open letter critique of CGC is.

I'm sorry Stanley/Greg but that's the perception I'm getting.

There is now also a service coming that would allow previously signed books to have the signatures authenticated and then graded accordingly.

Wait, did CGC say they were going to do this now?

No, TOC is doing this.

[font:Book Antiqua]I prefer "The company that cannot be named"[/font]

:preach:

Yeah, I've heard some names like that are a reference to Harry Potter, but I have no idea, I've never read the books. I just call them The Other Company.

[font:Book Antiqua]I don't know;[/font]

"The Other Company."

[font:Book Antiqua]sounds like a husband cheating...

meanwhile:

"The Company That Cannot be Named"

sounds a little more forbidden and secretive

like a foresee of:

[/font]

Doom_Logo_zps5d274083.png

Why are you starting this thread on a Saturday afternoon when you know it won't be read by CGC for a couple of days?

I have no doubt they have already read it. Just ask Jiminy Cricket about his posts that are usually read and deleted within minutes.

I also don't understand why people are already starting to write CGCs eulogy. CBCS has been around for 3 months.

There are about TEN guys, maybe twelve tops, that have dabbled in Comics for around forty( 40 - not a typo) years or more.

Maybe about another five tops that don't have the years of the military "time-in-grade", but nonetheless reached the upper echelons of comic dealer/collector/enthusiast enough to know what I am discussing tongue-in-cheek here.

These professional comic folks have seen all cycles of the boom, busts, and general malaise throughout comics AND other markets, including the Stock market. They know when the winds of change have struck.

Discussing at a CGC booth anywhere/worldwide would solve nothing. It is the TOP BRASS that has to make any and all changes. They have repeatedly refused to do so. The winds of change gathered steam.

Many CGC Forumite has been chased out of here. In my case, for no good reason

other than those here can't stand the brutal honesty I gladly give.

These same CGCers then cry-the-blues because they:

1) can't sell on the Forum only Threads;

2) cry about eBay when they should make that system work FOR them instead of against them;

3) cry about then CHARGE customers PayPal fees( the ultimate sign of non-professionalism);

4) too lazy to use the SEARCH function; so we have to endure pages of drivel on beaten-to-death topics;

and I am being lazy here now: too many other reasons far beyond this post/topic to impress upon.

Until the $40 per month in Adsense or whatever pays a part of this Forum dries up( and if you did not read my post about this two years ago, your loss), THEN they will start some sort of Membership fee that I proposed years ago.

AT THAT POINT the "professional comics folks" have a chance to help CGC salvage a well-intended enterprise; much depending on the subsequent steps CGC themselves decide to undertake.

95% of the people on here read/buy/sell whatever comics. A select few have reached the pinnacle of this Hobby. Those who know just plain know; the junior mechanic in the Auto shop has no clue what the Master knows; he will get there, but not overnight. It is unwise for that junior mechanic to criticize the master certified machine-tested Degreed mechanic.

There are NEW technologies in use by the FBI and other law enforcement groups due to the fraud and thefts in Fine Arts. The only one I am willing to share is the perfecting the infra-red screening to detect, you guessed it: color touch. You guys think that comics are the only art form that gets the sharpie pen dots???

Time to re-evaluate your entire positions in this has-been-in-decline Hobby for the past five years. I know I have repositioned myself to a still-profitable business model, and that is WITHOUT eBay. But many here will not be able to do that.

Hope this helps in some way

CAL who has many methods of earning the coin( pun intended)

I have no doubt they have already read it. Just ask Jiminy Cricket about his posts that are usually read and deleted within minutes.

There is a difference between the mods reading a thread and deleting things that aren't supposed to be posted and the CGC people reading and responding on behalf of CGC.

Both NGC and PCGS exist to serve coin collectors and both PMG and PCGS exist to serve currency collectors. I am not sure why certain collectors think that just because a new player is in town the previous market leader is going to become a distant second. There are over two million CGC graded comic books in the marketplace. That is a heck of a lot of free advertising and reholders being attended to.

I also don't understand why people are already starting to write CGCs eulogy. CBCS has been around for 3 months.

There are about TEN guys, maybe twelve tops, that have dabbled in Comics for around forty( 40 - not a typo) years or more.

Maybe about another five tops that don't have the years of the military "time-in-grade", but nonetheless reached the upper echelons of comic dealer/collector/enthusiast enough to know what I am discussing tongue-in-cheek here.

These professional comic folks have seen all cycles of the boom, busts, and general malaise throughout comics AND other markets, including the Stock market. They know when the winds of change have struck.

Discussing at a CGC booth anywhere/worldwide would solve nothing. It is the TOP BRASS that has to make any and all changes. They have repeatedly refused to do so. The winds of change gathered steam.

Many CGC Forumite has been chased out of here. In my case, for no good reason

other than those here can't stand the brutal honesty I gladly give.

These same CGCers then cry-the-blues because they:

1) can't sell on the Forum only Threads;

2) cry about eBay when they should make that system work FOR them instead of against them;

3) cry about then CHARGE customers PayPal fees( the ultimate sign of non-professionalism);

4) too lazy to use the SEARCH function; so we have to endure pages of drivel on beaten-to-death topics;

and I am being lazy here now: too many other reasons far beyond this post/topic to impress upon.

Until the $40 per month in Adsense or whatever pays a part of this Forum dries up( and if you did not read my post about this two years ago, your loss), THEN they will start some sort of Membership fee that I proposed years ago.

AT THAT POINT the "professional comics folks" have a chance to help CGC salvage a well-intended enterprise; much depending on the subsequent steps CGC themselves decide to undertake.

95% of the people on here read/buy/sell whatever comics. A select few have reached the pinnacle of this Hobby. Those who know just plain know; the junior mechanic in the Auto shop has no clue what the Master knows; he will get there, but not overnight. It is unwise for that junior mechanic to criticize the master certified machine-tested Degreed mechanic.

There are NEW technologies in use by the FBI and other law enforcement groups due to the fraud and thefts in Fine Arts. The only one I am willing to share is the perfecting the infra-red screening to detect, you guessed it: color touch. You guys think that comics are the only art form that gets the sharpie pen dots???

Time to re-evaluate your entire positions in this has-been-in-decline Hobby for the past five years. I know I have repositioned myself to a still-profitable business model, and that is WITHOUT eBay. But many here will not be able to do that.

Hope this helps in some way

CAL who has many methods of earning the coin( pun intended)

173742stoposting2_zps9f84cf11.jpg

Both NGC and PCGS exist to serve coin collectors and both PMG and PCGS exist to serve currency collectors. I am not sure why certain collectors think that just because a new player is in town the previous market leader is going to become a distant second. There are over two million CGC graded comic books in the marketplace. That is a heck of a lot of free advertising and reholders beng attended to.

Rewind this DVD:

Beta vs. the VHS.

Sure, Beta stayed busy for a time, but then what was next...

CAL who already placed the winning futures bet...

Both NGC and PCGS exist to serve coin collectors and both PMG and PCGS exist to serve currency collectors. I am not sure why certain collectors think that just because a new player is in town the previous market leader is going to become a distant second. There are over two million CGC graded comic books in the marketplace. That is a heck of a lot of free advertising and reholders beng attended to.

Rewind this DVD:

Beta vs. the VHS.

Sure, Beta stayed busy for a time, but then what was next...

CAL who already placed the winning futures bet...

NGC and PCGS both exist in tandem.

CGC also grades lobby cards and magazines.

Dear CGC,

We have already seen the Submission Tier changes and now the re-establishing Social Media presence.

There is now also a service coming that would allow previously signed books to have the signatures authenticated and then graded accordingly.

When did CGC announce this?

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I was speaking to new CFO and Harshen at San Diego. After San Diego I spoke with Mike for over an hour on the phone. No emotion, just dollars/cents issues. What I felt I would do to if I was a competitor. Now to be fair the "other company" got my input also but frankly has repeated the same mistakes they made the first time. That I DO NOT understand one bit.

Gave CGC plenty of feedback.

That rollback of modern to 1975 was something I told them to do based on dollar/cents costs of bronze age submissions. Not that I need to toot my own horn but that change did not come only because of CBCS.

I discussed a lot of business issues with them. I told them accounting had to be cleaned up on the payment of invoices. I still feel that $5 Service charges per invoice is nickel/dime. They are working on the accounting, I am not sure about the service charge.

I encouraged CGC to meet with other submitters who use their services because frankly I do not have the same business needs as everybody who uses them. And frankly both CBCS and CGC have not adopted this when it comes to getting feedback/input from the people who sell their product.