• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics No. 1 .... literally

17 posts in this topic

Just discovered this one of a kind item on ebay for lousy $320,785.20.

The seller is being quite literal in offering an "Action Comics No. 1".

I feel like I have seen this No. 1 on the boards before at some point hm

What a brilliant description :roflmao:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1-first-Superman-1938-/221559865576

_57-1-1.jpg

Punctuation is everything with this rare and unique item from the comic book that introduced Superman in 1938 and created the entire superhero genre.

If you buy this, you will be able to tell people truthfully “I have an Action Comics’ number one.”

Of course you will have to say it with an apostrophe. (because it contains only the clipped "#1" portion of the original cover)

But very few people can hear an apostrophe, so it will sound like you have something worth hundreds of thousands or even millions!

A complete copy in newsstand fresh condition recently sold via ebay for $3,207,852.00, and will not be resold for that amount. So who knows how much it’s ultimately worth?

I set the “buy now” price at one-tenth that amount!

But, at the risk of negotiating against myself, I will allow that a further reduction might be called for. So, I have opened the listing to “best offers.”

The first picture is of the actual vintage Action Comics’ #1, and the second image is of a modern reprint, which is not included. (But if you use the “buy now” option you will get BOTH items!)

If this doesn’t appeal because you prefer “complete” comics, look at some of my other listings, or feel free to inquire about other rare items.

As a bonus, I will note that two of my children are in college, pursuing careers in medicine and environmental policy. So if you purchase this item, you will get a piece of history and help save the future, because 100% of the proceeds will be offered to them for college tuition, at a competitive interest rate.

_57-2.jpg

The "Action Comics No. 1" goes along with a signed reprint if you bin ;)

I dunno, I think that must be about a thirty dollar item.

After all, I once sold a chunk of cover from Incredible Hulk #1 on ebay (about the size of a half dollar, featured one gray foot, lol )

for the princely sum of twelve bucks or so.

Hey, I might go as far as $35, but I'd want a scan of the back side first, lol LOL

In a nice frame with small description it would be a nice trivia talk piece for an office. I could see it selling for $50-100 just for the materials to make it, but for just the actual comic cover part, maybe $35. If it were slabbed, that could also provide a nice display accent. The novelty reminds me of owning a small rock from the moon.

In a nice frame with small description it would be a nice trivia talk piece for an office. I could see it selling for $50-100 just for the materials to make it, but for just the actual comic cover part, maybe $35. If it were slabbed, that could also provide a nice display accent. The novelty reminds me of owning a small rock from the moon.

It would be interesting to know if CGC could actually identify it as being part of Action #1 :D

Would be very ridiculous though if if they started slabbing flakes doh!

Best part of the listing:

Q: Is this a first print

A: The "No. 1" is from the first print in 1938. It was cut from a collection of cut-up pieces of the first Action and Superman comics. Restoration experts tell me the bent corner could be corrected, with pressing.

I've heard of micro-trimming so I guess this would be micro-pressing.

Best part of the listing:

Q: Is this a first print

A: The "No. 1" is from the first print in 1938. It was cut from a collection of cut-up pieces of the first Action and Superman comics. Restoration experts tell me the bent corner could be corrected, with pressing.

I've heard of micro-trimming so I guess this would be micro-pressing.

:roflmao:

eBay performance art. Cute.

Recently I also saw somebody selling the collected dust bunnies from a pipe organ used in the 1800s. They were selling just the dust bunnies (a pile of yucky-looking fluff) and claiming that it contained bits of dirt, hair, human skin cells, etc. going back more than a century. They were asking $100 or something.

I think it was ComicLink or ComicConnect that, a few years ago, was selling a jar of Jerry Siegel's hair. Presumably from his head (one hopes).

All very wacky stuff. But none of it quite as appealing as the zip-locked tissue that Scarlett Johansson blew her nose into on the Jay Leno show. Now there's a keeper.