• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

I think that NM 98 will lose a lot of its value after the comics boom period we are currently in is over. In short, when the comic movie bubble pops. I think the book will always have a high value, for a modern key/common book, because he's developed into a pretty origianl character. Sort of the class clown of comics. I think as long as the character doesn't become a deflated, unfunny, unorigial version of himself that book will be in demand. I made a little list below of why I like the character and why I think others like him.

Opinionated reasons I think Deadpool is popular today and will stay popular:

1. He brings a lot of humor and random-ness to comics.

2. He incorporates current pop culture into his speech and stories more than any other comic character I can think of.

3. He does not represent the typical hero (or even anti-hero). I say this because he doesn't always do the right thing when it counts like most

4. The typical deadpool reader is taking a break from the serious stories of the comic world or does not enjoy the serious comic stories and characters

5. He's unpredictable, you don't really know or can't predict how he will react in any given situation

6. There seems to be more creative liscense given to the writters and the stories don't have to make sense in any serious way

7. Ben Franklins ghost

Deadpool has always been ahead of his time, which is one reason why it took so long for him to find his place.

Um… Not since the beginning – he’s not really defined in New Mutants #98.

In fact, it would have been a lot better if Bob Harras and Marvel did not let happen what it happened but… oh, well.

But they gave him character afterwards, that is undeniable, otherwise no one would be looking for NM#98 or early X-Force…

True. Wasn't until the late 90's Deadpool was defined (and continued to evolve). Regardless, he was a head of his time, and it took hime a very long time to find broad acceptance. Some people still have difficulty accepting him as a real character.

Deadpool has always been ahead of his time, which is one reason why it took so long for him to find his place.

Um… Not since the beginning – he’s not really defined in New Mutants #98.

In fact, it would have been a lot better if Bob Harras and Marvel did not let happen what it happened but… oh, well.

But they gave him character afterwards, that is undeniable, otherwise no one would be looking for NM#98 or early X-Force…

True. Wasn't until the late 90's Deadpool was defined (and continued to evolve). Regardless, he was a head of his time, and it took hime a very long time to find broad acceptance. Some people still have difficulty accepting him as a real character.

What you say it’s very interesting, it also gives a hint on how Deadpool relates to the way Marvel changed, and made questionable choices about their poetics.

It would be interesting to use it as a starting point for a broader discussion about the character and Marvel itself. :)

I was referring to Bob Harras' (and Marvel's) decisions (and questionable behavior towards Louise Simonson and possibly Claremont) at the time: they trashed a good and innovative series like the New Mutants was, and Deadpool happened to appear there first, but it wasn’t obviously a defined character.

I see Deadpool in the lineage of characters like the original furry Beast, the Foolkiller, Howard the Duck, Omega the Unknown, the late She-Hulk, Power Pack and a few others: most were characters truly ahead of their time, and not always have been developed, or if developed, not properly.

2. He incorporates current pop culture into his speech and stories more than any other comic character I can think of.

3. He does not represent the typical hero (or even anti-hero). I say this because he doesn't always do the right thing when it counts like most

4. The typical deadpool reader is taking a break from the serious stories of the comic world or does not enjoy the serious comic stories and characters

5. He's unpredictable, you don't really know or can't predict how he will react in any given situation

6. There seems to be more creative liscense given to the writters and the stories don't have to make sense in any serious way

7. Ben Franklins ghost

This has a lot to do with Hegel. As paradigmatic as Deadpool might seem, there is always the risk of incosistency and unlikeliness around the corner.

I am not saying it’s not a good character, mind you, but he is also more pretentious than it might seem at first, when you see he’s so "easygoing".

It would definitely be good to discuss him in the Silver and Bronze sections. ;)

7. Ben Franklins ghost

This has a lot to do with Hegel. As paradigmatic as Deadpool might seem, there is always the risk of incosistency and unlikeliness around the corner.

I am not saying it’s not a good character, mind you, but he is also more pretentious than it might seem at first, when you see he’s so "easygoing".

It would definitely be good to discuss him in the Silver and Bronze sections. ;)

Vaillant, I was just thinking. Do you speak Italian only? If so, when you type in Italian does it translate to English for me? hm

Sorry for derailing the thread. I think Deadpool would though and not care. lol

You mean that my English somewhat sucks? That might be, given I write without checking much on the web.

If you mean whether I "think" in language when writing, the answer is "partially yes": I try to think in English when writing in English, but I think it is also important to think in your native language at the same time: language is not perfect and it helps to lay better ground for a well-thought discussion, as culturally speaking how we write is strictly related to how we think (and to our cultural knowledge and background). :)

NM #98 will never pop. Get in now before the prices go higher. Deadpool is like Wolverine and the Punisher. A modern new icon.

Indeed.....

If it drops considerably, it will be a long time from now. The smashing success of the movie makes this book bankable for many years to come..IMHYWO.

NM #98 will never pop. Get in now before the prices go higher. Deadpool is like Wolverine and the Punisher. A modern new icon.

Indeed.....

If it drops considerably, it will be a long time from now. The smashing success of the movie makes this book bankable for many years to come..IMHYWO.

Yep, now that mainstream discovered him it will be like waiting for the Walking Dead bubble to burst!

:fear:

Good, that give me more time to hunt up NM98 in undiscovered spots to flip. Pretty sure there are still some stowed somewhere ... Of course if someone hasn't seen the movie yet!

By now, I bet every kid on every block of everywhere in North America now know who Deadpool is! doh! < install sarcasm>

Not a Deadpool fan - I sold my NM 98, etc. within a week of the movie release. However, after seeing the movie I honestly believe that Deadpool is here to stay...
Probably, the greenlight for a sequel was already announced. I actually haven't seen the movie, and not sure I care to.