• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

All good arguments,but we are missing the point that Deadpool is a brand now like Batman!

Just about every collector wants Detective Comics #27 and Batman #1,and as the years go by they will all want New Mutants #98 and Deadpool #1.

Deadpool is in the Superman,Batman,Spider-Man and Wolverine club now,and to resist it is futile.

I heard the same talk about the Walking Dead,but here we are 13 years later waiting for the Walking Dead bubble to burst!

This isn't an accurate statement. I don't know if you are completely joking or just very hopeful, but Deadpool is not in the club. One successful movie doesn't make him equal to the greatest superheroes (and Wolverine) of comic history.

His long term success in movies is also unproven as his character (beyond his origin story) largely depends on the ability to be increasingly inappropriate and vulgar with his co-stars. If you read his comics all he does is break the 4th wall, be violent and make sexual/violent references towards the others. It will be difficult to keep this schtick fresh and still build a brand without denigrating the superhero co-stars to a point where they become parodies of themselves and no longer bankable. The used two throw-away stars in his first movie, there isn't an endless list of these and there is only so much believability in that type of rinse and repeat approach. Everybody is doing backflips over a one-trick pony.

People can celebrate the success of the movie without going over the wall bat-*spoon* crazy about how this is the next coming of the savior.

:makepoint:

Does this apply to Harley too?

The Suicide Squad movie will put her on the map.

Harley has much more upside than let`s say Wonder Woman. :o

I look at the upward trends and most of the younger generation thinks Harley is cooler than Wonder Woman by a mile!

The old traditionalists will tell us how cool Wonder Women is,but we all know Harley is way more interesting!

Things change.

Tarzan at one time was more popular than Wolverine.

Buck Rogers at one time was more popular than Star Wars.

Fantastic Four at one time was more popular than Deadpool.

Harley and Deadpool lots of upside!

:cloud9:

Insightful. About as insightful as horses at one time being a more popular form of transportation than cars. The M*A*S*H* finale is still the recordholder for most watched TV show (barring Super Bowls) in history, with 105 million viewers and 60% of households tuning in (approximately). This should make it likely to sell more comics than WD. Like 30 times more if viewership has that strong a correlation in your other examples. Cheers was also huge, with the second highest rating ever for its final episode. Where is the long term Cheers bump?

Cheers is deader than Mash.

There will be no bumps for both of them.

At one time Milton Berle was the king of TV.

Ask anybody now who Milton Berle was?

Deadpool and Harely have more upside for investment potential than MASH,Cheers and Uncle Miltie because Mash,Cheers,and Uncle Miltie`s time has come and passed,while Deadpool and Harley are just getting started.

Deadpool and Harley are a great opportunity for collectors to get in at the beginning before their first appearances skyrocket.

Anybody remember how Star Wars #1 exploded in price over the last few years?

Don`t be surprised over the next few years NM #98 and Harley`s first appearances continue to rise.

For some reason old time comic book traditionalists hate change, and resist when new characters like Deadpool,Harley and The Walking Dead take off.

Deadpool,Harley and The Walking Dead are good for the hobby because they create new interest.

To children everything is new. Do you think a 5 year old remembers Spiderman from the 60's, 70's or 80's? No, he gets his first impression from a movie, comic or cartoon series. It is all new interest to them.

There is no denying that Deadpool and Harley are more popular now than they ever have been, but just continuing to repeat that fact over and over is not a valid line of reasoning to extend their popularity into perpetuity or compare them to heroes that have billions more impressions per year (Superman, Batman, Spiderman and even Wolverine).

I get it you are a fan and there is nothing wrong with that, but you are also not making any points.

My point is Harley and Deadpool have huge upsides heading into the future.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I am out.

:foryou:

I understand that, but you gave no reasons other than "they are popular and even more so with the kiddos."

Please forgive me for disagreeing with that unassailable reasoning.

Have a nice day!

Edited by rfoiii

All good arguments,but we are missing the point that Deadpool is a brand now like Batman!

Just about every collector wants Detective Comics #27 and Batman #1,and as the years go by they will all want New Mutants #98 and Deadpool #1.

Deadpool is in the Superman,Batman,Spider-Man and Wolverine club now,and to resist it is futile.

I heard the same talk about the Walking Dead,but here we are 13 years later waiting for the Walking Dead bubble to burst!

This isn't an accurate statement. I don't know if you are completely joking or just very hopeful, but Deadpool is not in the club. One successful movie doesn't make him equal to the greatest superheroes (and Wolverine) of comic history.

His long term success in movies is also unproven as his character (beyond his origin story) largely depends on the ability to be increasingly inappropriate and vulgar with his co-stars. If you read his comics all he does is break the 4th wall, be violent and make sexual/violent references towards the others. It will be difficult to keep this schtick fresh and still build a brand without denigrating the superhero co-stars to a point where they become parodies of themselves and no longer bankable. The used two throw-away stars in his first movie, there isn't an endless list of these and there is only so much believability in that type of rinse and repeat approach. Everybody is doing backflips over a one-trick pony.

People can celebrate the success of the movie without going over the wall bat-*spoon* crazy about how this is the next coming of the savior.

I look at the upward trends and most of the younger generation thinks Harley is cooler than Wonder Woman by a mile!

The old traditionalists will tell us how cool Wonder Women is,but we all know Harley is way more interesting!

Things change.

Insightful. About as insightful as horses at one time being a more popular form of transportation than cars. The M*A*S*H* finale is still the recordholder for most watched TV show (barring Super Bowls) in history, with 105 million viewers and 60% of households tuning in (approximately). This should make it likely to sell more comics than WD. Like 30 times more if viewership has that strong a correlation in your other examples. Cheers was also huge, with the second highest rating ever for its final episode. Where is the long term Cheers bump?

Deadpool and Harely have more upside for investment potential than MASH,Cheers and Uncle Miltie because Mash,Cheers,and Uncle Miltie`s time has come and passed,while Deadpool and Harley are just getting started.

Deadpool and Harley are a great opportunity for collectors to get in at the beginning before their first appearances skyrocket.

Don`t be surprised over the next few years NM #98 and Harley`s first appearances continue to rise.

For some reason old time comic book traditionalists hate change, and resist when new characters like Deadpool,Harley and The Walking Dead take off.

Deadpool,Harley and The Walking Dead are good for the hobby because they create new interest.

To children everything is new. Do you think a 5 year old remembers Spiderman from the 60's, 70's or 80's? No, he gets his first impression from a movie, comic or cartoon series. It is all new interest to them.

There is no denying that Deadpool and Harley are more popular now than they ever have been, but just continuing to repeat that fact over and over is not a valid line of reasoning to extend their popularity into perpetuity or compare them to heroes that have billions more impressions per year (Superman, Batman, Spiderman and even Wolverine).

I get it you are a fan and there is nothing wrong with that, but you are also not making any points.

My point is Harley and Deadpool have huge upsides heading into the future.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I am out.

Do you honestly feel they have huge upside knowing how many copies are available and the census numbers?

No matter what the future holds I just don't see a huge upside for either one but would love to know your justification for such a view. I enjoy them both but they don't have the depth other major characters have. A one trick pony can only keep the attention span for so long IMO.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one that doesn't feel like any "new" characters have massive upside. I think everything is a blip on the screen, there's too much media now a days to compete for a permanent position in the pantheon.

Even Marvel, who has built a movie powerhouse, has done it in a way that looks like an attempt to make character fungible. They've created a universe, not a character franchise, and it looks like their intent is to move characters in and out of the spotlight as the movie going public's tastes dictate.

There doesn't seem to be a way to talk about Deadpool and Harley and any other "new" characters in a real factual basis. Trends are only trends until they're not, no one can predict when something has hit it's peak or even where that peak is likely to be. Even the publishers are simply reacting to data that already makes things clear after the fact.

Things change.

Who do you think is buying those high priced Star Wars #1s? It isn't the newcomers discovering Star Wars for the first time, it is fans and speculators in their 30s, 40s and 50s. Not much upside there.

The time to get in on Deadpool or Harley isn't when their books are already $1000 in 9.8, it was 5 years ago when nobody cared. Deadpool's strongest fan base doesn't have the disposable income to spend on NM #98 in pretty much any grade. When they do have that income, what percentage of them will still care enough to drop the coin? And how many copies will be around to satisfy that demand?

But go ahead and throw out the tired "people who disagree with me obviously hate the books, and hate the characters, and hate/resist change" because that is obviously what is going on here. (thumbs u

Wait until The Walking Dead is finally cancelled. Those issues will drop eventually.

No Star Trek shows on TV right now but Star Trek #1 is still worth a bit of money. After a show gets cancelled, it could always come back or if it takes on a iconic status, the "brand" may live on in merchandising... including comics.

A big factor in favor of Deadpool and Harley is "relevance". Younger people don't necessarily want to read about their Dad's heroes. Deadpool and Harley is the comedic relief for Marvel and DC. As long as their sensibilities continue to connect with their audience, they'll continue to live on. The "new" is built on top of fertile soils of the "old".

Deadpool is the new Shaun Cassidy.

I was thinking more like Ace Ventura.

Surprisingly funny, villain-stopper (while being a criminal of sorts), with plenty of references to his backside and a box office total that no one predicted. hm

No Star Trek shows on TV right now but Star Trek #1 is still worth a bit of money. After a show gets cancelled, it could always come back or if it takes on a iconic status, the "brand" may live on in merchandising... including comics.

A big factor in favor of Deadpool and Harley is "relevance". Younger people don't necessarily want to read about their Dad's heroes. Deadpool and Harley is the comedic relief for Marvel and DC. As long as their sensibilities continue to connect with their audience, they'll continue to live on. The "new" is built on top of fertile soils of the "old".

What are you talking about?

Superman, Batman, Spiderman and Wolverine are completely relevant to today's youth. Even Archie is hugely popular with kids these days.

No one is suggesting that the Lone Ranger or Howdy Doody are going to make a comeback...

You talk relevance like it is exchangeable for "staying power." Just because people can relate short term doesn't mean that same character will be around in 10, 15, 20 or even more years.

Deadpool is a one trick pony that relies on breaking the 4th wall and use of extreme violence and suggestive sexual content to vie for cheap laughs with no real depth beyond that. If you read his comics, they get boring very quickly as the nonsense only lasts so long (seriously, reading his solo title is like pulling teeth beyond 3 issues and the stories are redundant and absurd). He is best served as a supporting character (like X-Force volume 3) where his antics can be appreciated in relation to others because his repetitive shtick only works with others to react to it (they even had to do this in his first movie with Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead). Deadpool does not have the character depth to sustain long-term solo plots (however also does well in one shot short-stories like "Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe" though). His origin movie was good, but beyond that he is not a central character.

Harley is a hyper-sexualized modern pin-up girl with self-deprecating subservient tendencies created by the misogynistic nature of comic culture. Only very recently have her writers extended her beyond this shallow shell of a character. If her solo title continues to do well and another comic sex symbol doesn't come along to take her place, she has a shot at becoming a character that may last. However, there is a lot of "if" in that equation. She would hardly be the first attractive female character to grow rapidly in popularity only to be quickly replaced when something new comes along.

Neither character has demonstrated what is required to stick around for the long haul.

Again, I like both characters for what they are, but they aren't A list characters and certainly don't have a track record to make them "investment worthy" for long-term (more than a few years).

:gossip: Star Trek is a cultural phenomenon that has been around for half a century (more than 5 TV series and about a dozen movies). That series is among a small group of pioneers that started geek fandom. The Walking Dead is hardly equatable in any shape or form.

Edited by rfoiii

What does 'huge upside' even mean? What are we even comparing? The value of a single comic? the ongoing popularity of a character and its relative relation to the value of related comics? The investment value? Absolute? Or return on investment?

1st App of Wonder Woman vs 1st App of Harley?

1st Deadpool vs 1st Wolverine (or Pun)?

How many cosplays of each there will be at SDCC in 5 or 10 years from now?

I think people should be more specific with what they're arguing about, or else there's a pretty good chance they're arguing about different things.

Archie is hugely popular with kids these days? Am I that out of touch?

Very much so.

(about Archie, not about you)

No, if one then definitely the other doh!

If Archie is hugely popular with young kids (again) then I'm way out of touch. First time I've heard anyone suggest it.

Archie digest sales are on par with or better than many mainstream Marvel titles outside of some big event.

Archie comics not so much. They have settled into this sort of 10K circulation niche, although my guess is the Archie reboot sold a bunch.

---

other than a dead spot in the 70s and i guess 2006-2008, star trek has been pumping out movies and/or tv shows forever. there was a star trek TV show in one form or another from 1987 - 2005 and the movies came out every 2 or 3 years like clockwork from 1979 - 2002.

Very much so.

If Archie is hugely popular with young kids (again) then I'm way out of touch. First time I've heard anyone suggest it.

selling half a million digests a month is not hugely popular because the numbers were vastly more 30 years ago no doubt. like so many things it is a niche.

Very much so.

selling half a million digests a month is not hugely popular because the numbers were vastly more 30 years ago no doubt. like so many things it is a niche.

By today's distribution standards it is hugely popular. You are comparing two different eras and completely different generations. 30 years ago comics didn't need to compete with the sheer number of other popular things they do today (far more TV, far more movies, far more books, video games, anything on the Internet, availability of media in general). It isn't a logical comparison, by that standard no comic characters are popular today and they are all niche (or smaller)...

Edited by rfoiii

---

other than a dead spot in the 70s and i guess 2006-2008, star trek has been pumping out movies and/or tv shows forever. there was a star trek TV show in one form or another from 1987 - 2005 and the movies came out every 2 or 3 years like clockwork from 1979 - 2002.

Yes... exactly my point. It's too early to declare Deadpool or Walking Dead is gonna tank. Star Trek was cancelled after just 3 seasons but came back years later. What season are we at with Walking Dead...? Everytime historical precedence is referenced... the conversation suddenly shifts toward apples, bannanas and avacados. Fruit fixation aside, it is possible for new ideas to stick. And if the naysayers can at least agree up to that point, why not Deadpool or Walking Dead?