• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

How do you feel about NM98 vs TMNT1?

Deadpool outclasses that book.

Same price tag NM 98's would sell much faster.

Only reason TMNT #1 is worth that much is of course because of the low print run.

John are you talking outta your azz again? NM 98 outclasses TMNT #1? :roflmao:

I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the prices for TMNT #1 are heavily influenced by the low print run and census numbers. John is absolutely right in that if it had similar numbers to NM98 it would sell for much much less. Since the comic comparison isn't possible due to the vast inequity in available copies, look at the movies for a comparison of "demand". The last TMNT grossed just under $500M globally. Deadpool is at $609M and still chugging strong, despite having an R rating which makes it less available to the population than TMNT. Will probably end up somewhere in the $800-900 range. You tell me who is a bigger global success (shrug)

TNMT cartoons run 12 times a day. My kids watch about an hour of turtles a day. My 4 year old calls me dude. I'm going to guess they sell a lot more toys than Deadpool. More clothing. More coloring books and other krap.

Surely my 2 and 6 year old that watches the cartoons,reads the comics,has TMNT clothes,bedding, and just about every toy there is will disagree too! :roflmao:

My son LOVES the cartoon, especially the recent episode where they enter Mikey's "psyche" and his core manifests itself as a child. My son calls it the "baby Mikey" episode and asks to watch it at least once a day among all the other things (Paw Patrol, Cars, Toy Story, Spiderman, etc).

In fact, because he loved the cartoon so much, we have a ritual where I record all the new episodes and we sit down and watch them each week together. Its fun!

FYI - this current cartoon version debuted in 2012, a full two years before the latest movie "resurrected the franchise..." :tonofbricks:

You are right, everyone is buying their little kids $10K comic books because the turtles are huge. Prices would not fall if there happened to be 2,000 9.8s on the census because we would just have more 4 year olds running around with slabs of TMNT #1 clutched in their grubby little hands.

You make zero sense.

1 - TMNT has been a cornerstone of pop culture and kids media for decades (movies, cartoons, tv shows, action figures, video games, comics, books, stickers, school supplies, stuffed animals, other toys, etc).

2 - Current adults grew up with TMNT and are now at a buying age to recapture a nostalgic piece of their youth with TMNT 1.

3 - TMNT 1 (first print) had a small print run, making it "rare" relative to other comics.

4 - TMNT is still popular today, making it a "safer" investment moving forward because the children of today become the buyers of tomorrow.

These are are all true statements and they are reasons why TMNT 1 is worth what it is worth.

What is your issue?

The ONLY reason it is worth what it is worth is.... see your point #3. That is it. Its relative scarcity is the ONLY reason the book is a 5 figure book. If the census numbers were close to NM98s, the book would sell for similar money to NM98. This is something that proponents of TMNT1 seem to want to deny (shrug)

Is there a similar big key that has been able to sustain value and adhere to the supply and demand rule while being readily available in high grade condition as verified by the census?

Often times the comics don't come out of the box to be graded until there's a reason for it, and that's when the community gets hard data about the numbers, but Deadpool has always been at least somewhat popular and known so it's a little different. Maybe that's the important difference?

Deadpool hasn't always been even somewhat popular. He went for many, many years (1993-2008) without much notice at all.

9.8s sold many, many times in the mid 00's in the $40-$60 range.

Also, books like Hulk #181 and ASM #300 have been readily available in high grade (relative to the to the timeframe), and have still commanded solid prices.

You're correct, but I didn't mean Deadpool has been hugely popular (or valuable), just that he's never really gone away and always seemed to have some collectibility... Which is why the book has been slabbed in relatively high numbers I'd imagine.

That would be incorrect. Deadpool didn't have a regular series until 1997, and then, sporadically from 2001-2008 (and Agent X wasn't *really* Deadpool.)

He hasn't had any collectability until 2008. As late as 2007, you could buy Liefeld New Mutants in lots, including #98, for $5-$10 plus shipping (minus #87, usually.)

We can't re-write history. and Deadpool, outside of a small, short blip in 1993 for his first mini, was dead as a doornail in terms of back issue desire until 2008 or so.

Lots of characters are published for which there is little or no demand for their first appearances. That may seem strange at this time, but it has been true for most of the history of comics as collectibles. There really was a time when people enjoyed reading new She-Hulk comics, for example, and didn't go loopy over her first appearance. Or Spider-woman, or Alpha Flight, or Nick Fury, or Lobo, or Cloak & Dagger, etc etc.

I'm not sure I buy the ASM 300 or IH 181 quantity comparison, something feels off about it.

And yet, both of those books are readily available in high grade condition as verified by the census (your criteria) but have also sustained value while adhering to the supply and demand rule (also your criteria.)

Your memory is different from mine, but perhaps it's better than mine too. I remember Deadpool popping up pretty often, and of course, much more often in the period you suggest it all started to heat up in.

Don't need to rely on memories, when you have sales data.

The high price for 9.8s for several years in the 00's was $150-$180. During that time, multiple copies sold in the $40-$60 range, with a low of $40.

The high price for a 9.6 during that time (2002-2007) was $85. The low was $10.

It performed better than, say, #97 or #99, but not by much. In fact, the high for a 9.8 #99 in that time frame was $95....higher than #98.

I remember the Kelly Deadpool series being quite good and knew a lot of people that read it. It ran a few years but never blew up big but people have been collecting those books for years. I don't even care much for the character but I liked that run. As I said earlier on, a lot of this gets down to confirmation bias when speaking about secondary market popularity.

No doubt, which is why concrete sales data is so important.

One thing though, you're twisting my meaning on the census data by equating apples to oranges on the differences. There are nowhere near the number of high grade IH 181 in the census to NM 98. I think the 9.4 and 9.6 numbers on ASM 300 might be similar, but not the 9.8s. For the record, I don't think ASM 300 will have similar numbers on the census to Deadpool in a few years time. And that's completely agreeing that ASM 300 is dirt common, so we'll need a new adjective for how common this book is.

But that wasn't your criteria. You're not going to find an identical book to NM #98 represented on the census; every book is essentially unique. Your criteria was "Is there a similar big key that has been able to sustain value and adhere to the supply and demand rule while being readily available in high grade condition as verified by the census?" and the answer is yes, with ASM #300, Hulk #181, and a few others. If you meant "identical", rather than "similar", you won't find it.

However, there IS one book that has very similar numbers, and has sustained its value, and that is Wolverine Limited #1, which says quite a bit, since it's a good 8.5 years older than NM #98.

Make no doubt about it: there are millions upon millions of comics out there that could have similar numbers on the census, but do not, because they're not worth slabbing. We're only beginning to see the foundation of the census start to get really firmed up.

I never added a "for the time" algebra to that (which, frankly, is stupid. It's either hard to find or it isn't), someone else did... So you're wrong there where you so happily quote it as my criteria.

I don't know what you're talking about here. I quoted your criteria verbatim. The entire conversation is preserved in this quote chain, perhaps you could point me to what you're referring to...?

Unless you read my "high grade" as VF- I guess, which I should have been more clear on... For a book this new, not sure why the discussion would stray past very high grades, but I failed to specify that so my apologies.

I said "relative to the timeframe", which has to do with levels of preservation, not ease of finding. "High grade" for Hulk #181, since it's a 1974 book, and still a while before people started to bag and board everything that instant it came out, would be around 9.4.

Whichever way it ends up actually being, the discussion is at least interesting.

Indeed.

I've always talked about the secondary market. There's no authoritative record of comics secondary market sales, CGCs census is a sliver of it. That's why I kept mentioning confirmation bias. I think you're arguing something that everyone here already agrees with - Deadpool has never sold massive amounts of comics on his own, and until now has never prompted big bucks for his books. My entire position is that he's been humbly collected (personal experience only, no hard data) in the secondary market and that the book is very common (more so than other relatively high volume books, but you and I disagree there).

I'd argue other points but I know from past experience you're a machine and I can't keep up (worship)

Only reason TMNT #1 is worth that much is of course because of the low print run.

I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the prices for TMNT #1 are heavily influenced by the low print run and census numbers. John is absolutely right in that if it had similar numbers to NM98 it would sell for much much less. Since the comic comparison isn't possible due to the vast inequity in available copies, look at the movies for a comparison of "demand". The last TMNT grossed just under $500M globally. Deadpool is at $609M and still chugging strong, despite having an R rating which makes it less available to the population than TMNT. Will probably end up somewhere in the $800-900 range. You tell me who is a bigger global success (shrug)

TNMT cartoons run 12 times a day. My kids watch about an hour of turtles a day. My 4 year old calls me dude. I'm going to guess they sell a lot more toys than Deadpool. More clothing. More coloring books and other krap.

Surely my 2 and 6 year old that watches the cartoons,reads the comics,has TMNT clothes,bedding, and just about every toy there is will disagree too! :roflmao:

My son LOVES the cartoon, especially the recent episode where they enter Mikey's "psyche" and his core manifests itself as a child. My son calls it the "baby Mikey" episode and asks to watch it at least once a day among all the other things (Paw Patrol, Cars, Toy Story, Spiderman, etc).

In fact, because he loved the cartoon so much, we have a ritual where I record all the new episodes and we sit down and watch them each week together. Its fun!

FYI - this current cartoon version debuted in 2012, a full two years before the latest movie "resurrected the franchise..." :tonofbricks:

You are right, everyone is buying their little kids $10K comic books because the turtles are huge. Prices would not fall if there happened to be 2,000 9.8s on the census because we would just have more 4 year olds running around with slabs of TMNT #1 clutched in their grubby little hands.

You make zero sense.

1 - TMNT has been a cornerstone of pop culture and kids media for decades (movies, cartoons, tv shows, action figures, video games, comics, books, stickers, school supplies, stuffed animals, other toys, etc).

2 - Current adults grew up with TMNT and are now at a buying age to recapture a nostalgic piece of their youth with TMNT 1.

3 - TMNT 1 (first print) had a small print run, making it "rare" relative to other comics.

4 - TMNT is still popular today, making it a "safer" investment moving forward because the children of today become the buyers of tomorrow.

These are are all true statements and they are reasons why TMNT 1 is worth what it is worth.

What is your issue?

We are saying TMNT #1 while I agree is a solid book the reason it is worth more than 1k in CGC 9.8 is because of the print run ONLY.

Listen I make my living buying/selling/grading, and attending almost every major comic book convention for the last 10 years so I am telling you in the comic book world NM 98 blows TMNT #1 out of the water in term of popularity.

I can name other comics post 1980 that will get more questions asked about pricing than a TMNT #1.

I grew up loving the TMNT when I was younger, but Deadpool growth has just begun in pop culture.

ASM 300

NM 98

Walking Dead #1

Batman Adventures 12

All more important books than TMNT #1.

Just because a book is worth more doesn't mean the book is more important.

I am sure you will disagree, but what do I know I only make my living doing this.

I have sold every book we are discussing multiple times in all HG's. Every time I find a TMNT #1 I can't wait to sell it and buy other books with that money.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

He hasn't had any collectability until 2008. As late as 2007, you could buy Liefeld New Mutants in lots, including #98, for $5-$10 plus shipping (minus #87, usually.)

-----------

Proof? Receipts? Screenshot saves? Affidavits from sellers? ;-) Not a one time thing either, multiples please.

Sure. I bought a few during this time period; as soon as I come across the info in my Paypal account, I'll post it.

Not saying it didn't ever happen or it wasn't in a dollar box somewhere, but could you go our on any given night and bid on this?

Yes.

Look at the GPA results...a 9.6 sold for $10. 22 9.6s sold for $25 or less, which is essentially break even (meaning, the book itself has no value, you're just paying for the slab.) And a whole lot more sold for $25-$35, too.

The book just wasn't on anyone's radar.

For comparison, #87 performed substantially better during this period, and it, too, wasn't any great shakes at the time.

I distinctly remember buzz on these interweb boards and on the ebay boards in 2005/2006 about NM 98 and at that point I couldn't find a copy in the wild for $5. (no doubt there was a copy on ebay for $5, but with $5 shipping...) Yes, the buzz was "wow, it is in double digits now", nothing earth shattering, true.

Cable/deadpool came out in 2004. That didn't spike interest? It ran for 50 issues.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong.

Well, far be it from me to not grant your wish.

What is $10 for this book? But, back then, it WAS something, which is why it generated the responses it did: "what? People are paying TEN DOLLARS for that??! :screwy: "

Oh, and since we have parallel conversations running, I'll just add this:

The Turtles WERE dead from 1993 to about 2004.

No regular series (aside from that awful Larsen series), no other media.

Dead.

I can't agree with any of this.

Deadpool is hot right now, that's all.

The Ninja Turtles are a global success and have been for decades.

You don't have to agree, just know you don't do this for a living so I don't have agree with you either. (shrug)

Dead.

Did the rules change once streaming video entered the picture? Probably too soon to tell, but my friends have kids that watch cartoons every day that haven't been on television for years

Sometimes decades.

The Turtles are in heavy rotation there for every guy I know with a young male child.

You make zero sense.

What is your issue?

We are saying TMNT #1 while I agree is a solid book the reason it is worth more than 1k in CGC 9.8 is because of the print run ONLY.

Listen I make my living buying/selling/grading, and attending almost every major comic book convention for the last 10 years so I am telling you in the comic book world NM 98 blows TMNT #1 out of the water in term of popularity.

I can name other comics post 1980 that will get more questions asked about pricing than a TMNT #1.

I grew up loving the TMNT when I was younger, but Deadpool growth has just begun in pop culture.

ASM 300

NM 98

Walking Dead #1

Batman Adventures 12

All more important books than TMNT #1.

Just because a book is worth more doesn't mean the book is more important.

I am sure you will disagree, but what do I know I only make my living doing this.

I have sold every book we are discussing multiple times in all HG's. Every time I find a TMNT #1 I can't wait to sell it and buy other books with that money.

Oh boy.

Dead.

:o But, but everyone's 2 and 4 year olds are rabid over the turtles. It can't be... just can't be :whistle:

You don't have to agree, just know you don't do this for a living so I don't have agree with you either. (shrug)

"Doing something for a living" does not mean that one has accurate information and can relay that information in a meaningful way.

After all...just because someone works at the Gap doesn't mean they understand the difference between organic cotton and polyester.

So you are an expert on the matter because more people ask about books that are very well known to be more affordable than a TMNT #1?

Action #1 is pretty popular, how many times are you asked about a price on one of those?

So you are an expert on the matter because more people ask about books that are very well known to be more affordable than a TMNT #1?

Action #1 is pretty popular, how many times are you asked about a price on one of those?

Before I humor you why do you think TMNT #1 is vastly worth more than the list below?

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

"Doing something for a living" does not mean that one has accurate information and can relay that information in a meaningful way.

After all...just because someone works at the Gap doesn't mean they understand the difference between organic cotton and polyester.

I know that GAP sells cheap terrible clothes. (shrug)

Before I humor you why do you think TMNT #1 is vastly worth more than the list below?

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

The obvious smaller print run plays a factor as does the Turtles being a far more common household name than the majority of the characters/books you've listed.

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

The obvious smaller print run plays a factor as does the Turtles being a far more common household name than the majority of the characters/books you've listed.

That is the only factor.

So not sure why people get so defensive about TMNT#1

TMNT #1 is a good book just not a book I would consider now more important than some other copper key books.

If TNMT #1 had the same print run as NM 98 and you had them both side by side in CGC 9.8 with similar values you can bet NM 98 would outsell TMNT #1. That is my point.

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

That is the only factor.

TMNT #1 is a good book just not a book I would consider now more important than some other copper key books.

If TNMT #1 had the same print run as NM 98 and you had them both side by side in CGC 9.8 with similar values you can bet NM 98 would outsell TMNT #1. That is my point.

The print run is not the only factor.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are known and loved by many globally and have been for decades. Deadpool is a blip on the screen in comparison.

To feel decades of being cherished would be outsold by a trend isn't something I will agree with either.

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

That is the only factor.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are known and loved by many globally and have been for decades. Deadpool is a blip on the screen in comparison.

To feel decades of being cherished would be outsold by a trend isn't something I will agree with either.

Deadpool was more popular in the comic book world well before the movie.

Print run is 110% the only factor.

TMNT yes has a couple more terrible POS movies, but Deadpool after this monster move hit (which just passed CAP 2 Winter Solder at the box office) has just started his rise to an A player.

Ryan Reynolds did to Deadpool what RDj did to Iron Man.

I have no long-term love for either of these characters for my own collection. This is my personal account of dealing these books for the past 10 years.

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

That is the only factor.

TMNT yes has a couple more terrible POS movies, but Deadpool after this monster move hit (which just passed CAP 2 Winter Solder at the box office) has just started his rise to an A player.

I have no long-term love for either of these characters for my own collection. This is my personal account of dealing these books for the past 10 years.

Yes Deadpool was known by many in the comic book world but he was not loved by most until years after his creation. This was not the case with TMNT.

Ryan launched a one trick pony that will not hold the attention span past three stand alone movies into mainstream.

I am not anti Deadpool. I think he's fun but one demensional and that doesn't last.

Dealing with these books only for the last 10 years hardly makes you an expert. You have no history as a dealer and apparently also as a TMNT fan during its rise.

ASM 300

NM 98

DD 168

WD #1

Bat 12

That is the only factor.

Yes Deadpool was known by many in the comic book world but he was not loved by most until years after his creation. This was not the case with TMNT.

Ryan launched a one trick pony that will not hold the attention span past three stand alone movies into mainstream.

I am not anti Deadpool. I think he's fun but one demensional and that doesn't last.

Dealing with these books only for the last 10 years hardly makes you an expert. You have no history as a dealer and apparently also as a TMNT fan during its rise.

Since I am not a comic book dealer how does one advance from what I am doing now to a "real" comic book dealer?