• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

People always try to make a big thing about the supply,but forget demand.

Supply is overrated,while demand is underrated.

2c

Totally agree.

Original supply (the print run) has almost no meaning decades later.

Unless the books are still heavily clustered in one spot (unopened cases, or significant hoards), it doesn't matter how many were originally printed. All that matters is how many are available in the current market and the current demand.

99%+ of all comics ever printed are EITHER sitting somewhere that doesn't make them available for sale or they have been destroyed. Even the CGC census rarely has even 5% of the print run of any comic after 16 years in operation... and most of those CGC graded copies are not for sale.

If 40 people want a comic that only has 20 copies available on the market, it doesn't matter if the original print run was 400, 4,000, 40,000 or 400,000. There are 20 available.

Current supply and current demand matter, not original supply and original demand.

And the Deadpool craze isn't confined to just comics.

A year ago I went to a huge cosplay convention and it wasn't just the Deadpool costumes -- it was costumes of Deadpool disguised as Sailor Moon; Deadpool disguised as Raggedy Ann; Deadpool disguised as Spidey.

In certain circles, the character was a phenomenon well before the movie.

And the movie has now out-grossed every X-Men, Hulk, Thor, and Captain America film even on an inflation-adjusted basis.

But even if it's climbing, has it gotten back to where it was back when the rumor was first announced? I got nearly 1k for my 9.8 a couple of weeks after the movie was officially go. I figured this one would be up around the $1500 mark by now, but it seems like that was a temporary spike. Even with the monstrous success of the movie, I'm wondering if it's going to settle into place now right under $900?

No matter how good the movie is, if it is going to follow history, the book is never going to top "the announcement spike."

We may see some stair-stepping with NM98 if there is a series of good movies, however. I really think Deadpool is the first franchise since the Walking Dead that has a legit chance of becoming truly part of the zeitgeist. When I was in Vegas last week, I saw more people with Deadpool t-shirts, backpacks etc. than all other superhero stuff combined.

I am currently in school, surrounded by millennials and Deadpool is everywhere. Quite the spectacular sight. I think this train will roll for awhile

Makes sense to me. I'm wondering if it'll be more of a slow burn now though. I could see if "stair-stepping" (as Sean said. Well put!) upwards of $1500-$2000 over the coming years if the films keep coming and they deliver the goods. I don't have a copy anymore, so I don't really care how high it goes, I just think it's fun to watch.

People always try to make a big thing about the supply,but forget demand.

Supply is overrated,while demand is underrated.

2c

Totally agree.

Original supply (the print run) has almost no meaning decades later.

Unless the books are still heavily clustered in one spot (unopened cases, or significant hoards), it doesn't matter how many were originally printed. All that matters is how many are available in the current market and the current demand.

99%+ of all comics ever printed are EITHER sitting somewhere that doesn't make them available for sale or they have been destroyed. Even the CGC census rarely has even 5% of the print run of any comic after 16 years in operation... and most of those CGC graded copies are not for sale.

If 40 people want a comic that only has 20 copies available on the market, it doesn't matter if the original print run was 400, 4,000, 40,000 or 400,000. There are 20 available.

Current supply and current demand matter, not original supply and original demand.

Supply is over-rated except when it's not. If NM 98 had the same print run as Walking Dead 1 we would have a completely different ballgame for Deadpool lovers

But even if it's climbing, has it gotten back to where it was back when the rumor was first announced? I got nearly 1k for my 9.8 a couple of weeks after the movie was officially go. I figured this one would be up around the $1500 mark by now, but it seems like that was a temporary spike. Even with the monstrous success of the movie, I'm wondering if it's going to settle into place now right under $900?

There are too many copies of NM #98 in 9.8 for it to hit the $1000+ level right now. BA #12 in 9.8 is a book I would compare it to, and that one is priced higher to there being "only" 406 universal 9.8s vs. 1973 universal 9.8s for NM #98.

Where are all the true believers:

NM 98 9.8 Board Sale

$750...

It's well known that books often sell for more off the boards than on the boards.

I can't count how many times it's happened, but enough times to know that it's true. Unless you need statistics. Then I can't help you.