• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There Are No Returns On 3rd Party Graded Items

Returns Allowed Or Not?  

588 members have voted

1. 1. Returns Allowed Or Not?

73 posts in this topic

The kinds of people you can end up dealing with on eBay, especially in collectibles, give them an inch they'll take a mile. And there's countless new types of scams popping up all the time. And of course the regular old buyers remorse that is usually explained away with "No, my toddler made that snipe bid on your AF-15!"

So they buy, pay, get the comic home, and then run into a cheaper copy. Who cares about your time being wasted, run down to the bank on your lunch break and replenish your Paypal account and send off that refund. And then relist next weekend and hope it doesn't happen again, and again, and again.

I say if there's a front and back scan and the slab isn't damaged in transit, do not accept the return.

The kinds of people you can end up dealing with on eBay, especially in collectibles, give them an inch they'll take a mile. And there's countless new types of scams popping up all the time. And of course the regular old buyers remorse that is usually explained away with "No, my toddler made that snipe bid on your AF-15!"

So they buy, pay, get the comic home, and then run into a cheaper copy. Who cares about your time being wasted, run down to the bank on your lunch break and replenish your Paypal account and send off that refund. And then relist next weekend and hope it doesn't happen again, and again, and again.

I say if there's a front and back scan and the slab isn't damaged in transit, do not accept the return.

This

For CGC books I don't take a return on ebay unless there is shipping damage etc.

If they decide the grade doesn't match their standards...that's not my fault. It's graded by a third party and they should know it is subjective.

On the boards, I will take a return because of our community. ebay is different in my eyes.

For CGC books I don't take a return on ebay unless there is shipping damage etc.

If they decide the grade doesn't match their standards...that's not my fault. It's graded by a third party and they should know it is subjective.

On the boards, I will take a return because of our community. ebay is different in my eyes.

(thumbs u

Is there are good scans front/back I see no reason for a return policy on TPG books. The grade (so to speak) is there. If the centering is not to your liking good scans will reveal that, as they will reveal writing on the cover, distributor ink, miscuts etc.

I have seen folks get up in arms when a TPG book is described as something like "I think it is better than the grade". Never saw anyone get up in arms when someone says "I think it is less than the grade." Then again I don't recall seeing someone say a TPG was less that the grade, but the principle remains.

Bottom line, the grade is out of the sellers hands as far as TPG regardless of what they may say. So with good f/b scans the buyer should be intelligent enough to discern any condition qualities that rub their rhubarb.

You can't paint everyone with the same brush. Well, you *can*, but it's very bad business. Not accepting returns, regardless of why, is amateur, and smacks of "I've got something to hide", even if that's not even remotely true. It sends a message that you're just trying to foist off a problem to someone else, again, even if it's not true. "You bought it, it's your problem now."

That doesn't mean you can't ask why, and even try to persuade the buyer, but ultimately, if someone doesn't want the item, forcing them to keep it always comes back to haunt you in the end. Just take it back, block that buyer, and sell it to someone else.

If I ask to inspect a slabbed book at a convention or store and then decide that it isn't well-graded or has defects I don't want in my collection, I hand it back to the dealer -- I am not forced to buy it because I held it and it was third party graded. doh!

If I ask to inspect a slabbed book at a convention or store and then decide that it isn't well-graded or has defects I don't want in my collection, I hand it back to the dealer -- I am not forced to buy it because I held it and it was third party graded. doh!

Which is totally the same as saying "I'll take it", handing the dealer cash, walking away with the item and then deciding the following week you didn't want it after all :ohnoez:

A grader is a grader whether it's CGC or anyone else. If I don't agree with the grade, I expect to be able to return it.

I don't understand how you can believe this.

One of CGCs purposes is to have a level playing field where the grading isn't all over the place (ahem) and you can trust the grade will be what it says on the label.

If I sell you a 8.0 book and you write me on ebay the book's grade isn't what you think is on the label....I would tell you to call CGC. That's not my fault. If I have nice size pictures or scans and that doesn't provide enough info for you to decide on the grade of a slabbed book...then don't buy it.

If someone is really irate (which has not happened yet, thankfully), I will definitely return the book. But as a general rule, I put no returns and have not seen a lack of response to my slabbed auctions.

I get why people would say that. but it just makes a seller look so much better and more professional if they have a blanket "returns accepted" policy.

+1. This is all there is to it - Period.

It's that golden rule thing. Treat people the way you want to be treated.

No back cover scans, no returns ?
That's a different story, especially on comics that aren't graded NM. There could be a surprise back there and on a high dollar item a return is reasonable. But if there was a large clear back cover scan, I'd say no returns.

Which is totally the same as saying "I'll take it", handing the dealer cash, walking away with the item and then deciding the following week you didn't want it after all :ohnoez:

Two different scenarios. Both of which I've been in.

I've looked at slabs at a convention and I've handed them back if I don't like the way the book looks. I haven't made a commitment to buy it or worked out a deal. I just wanted to look at it with intent to buy.

On ebay or an online store, it's completely different and you can't hold the book. So you are taking a risk. The benefit of a grading company like CGC is that you don't need to worry that the 8.0 VF listed on ebay is really a 4.0 VG. Will there be defects that might not be to your liking and perhaps you think the grade is somewhat lower...but you ran that risk when buying it online.

I've received books before that might have had a spine tick that I thought lowered the grade but I'm not returning it to the seller.

The only time again is if there is a shipping issue or damage and I will gladly help getting things worked out.

I think ultimately you're going to get a different answer from guys who are normally 'buyers' and guys who are normally 'sellers.'

As a seller taking a return on a slab is, IMO, ridiculous. However, I will accept it, give the refund and move on. Thankfully it's never happened, however I've gotten some 9.8's back from CGC lately that are just begging to be returned.

Every year I push the 9.8 pre-screen further, and every year they let more though. You have to wonder if the new guys are going to make it better, or worse.

Jay