• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charge Backs, eBay, and Paranoia

88 posts in this topic

This is not good. What happens if I consign with mycomicshop? I've never done this before but I was thinking about it. Do I wait to get my money after the 180 days are up?

Mycomicshop is one of the possible alternatives to a scarier eBay.

I'd have to go back and read their terms but I think mycomicshop.com sends a check directly, unless you request they deposit to Paypal.

180 days is totally overboard. What store offers a return program like that?

And I"m paranoid about chargebacks too. Never happened to me but I've dealt with some scammers on eBay before.

Khols. I stood in line behind a woman at the service desk of the local khols once. She was returning shoes that had clearly been well worn for about a year. No receipt, no tags, and no box. They issued her a store credit after finding them in the system and she went on her merry way.

45 days or 180 days, my guess is that an abuser is going to abuse it at the same rate they would in either case. Locks on doors are only good to keep the honest people honest and the crooks are going to steal no matter what.

:preach:

This. I worked for nordstrom, which basically has a completely open ended return policy. The people who generally took advantage of it were the ones that would try shenanigans regardless of the timeframe.

Yeah, but when the timeframe is thirty days, then you only have to worry about someone screwing you for a month, then you can breathe easy. With this new policy, you can pretty much live in perpetual fear of a chargeback no matter how small a seller you are.

Even if someone created a new online marketplace, there would still likely be Paypal policy since Paypal is the current king of online financial transaction. Someone would have to create another one of those to work with their marketplace, and it would have to have some sort of legitimacy to it to instill trust. There are already alternatives out there, but none that I think can give them any sort of competition. Nobody wants a fraction of a Bitcoin and the hassle of cashing one in and hoping the price didn't fluctuate south between the end of auction and the point where it's converted to cash.

This is not good. What happens if I consign with mycomicshop? I've never done this before but I was thinking about it. Do I wait to get my money after the 180 days are up?

Mycomicshop is one of the possible alternatives to a scarier eBay.

I'd have to go back and read their terms but I think mycomicshop.com sends a check directly, unless you request they deposit to Paypal.

Yes, and I think you have to pay the PayPal fees with MCS if you want it done through them. I just received a check today from them, I believe it has been about 2 weeks or so since the items were marked as having been sold.

180 days is totally overboard. What store offers a return program like that?

And I"m paranoid about chargebacks too. Never happened to me but I've dealt with some scammers on eBay before.

Khols. I stood in line behind a woman at the service desk of the local khols once. She was returning shoes that had clearly been well worn for about a year. No receipt, no tags, and no box. They issued her a store credit after finding them in the system and she went on her merry way.

45 days or 180 days, my guess is that an abuser is going to abuse it at the same rate they would in either case. Locks on doors are only good to keep the honest people honest and the crooks are going to steal no matter what.

:preach:

Pile on. My brother took back a printer to Office Depot because he used up all of the ink and they took it back. :facepalm:

This. I worked for nordstrom, which basically has a completely open ended return policy. The people who generally took advantage of it were the ones that would try shenanigans regardless of the timeframe.

"We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days."

That's insanity and sick :sick::(

Buyers can treat purchase like the "Walmart Return Policy" effect. In brief, when money gets tight people start bringing anything and everything back to Walmart (even if they didn't buy it there) for a refund. Granted they get it on a gift card without a receipt, but this eBay deal has the potential to hurt sellers.

Say you sell a $1k book and five months later the buyer opens a claim. You check delivery status and it was signed for five months ago. The buyer "doesn't agree with the grade" (aka: buyers remorse OR oh *spoon* I need money) and now your PayPal freezes $1k in your account, OR if you don't have it freezes your bank account.

I would like to know the reason PayPal is doing this :popcorn:

"We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days."

That's insanity and sick :sick::(

Buyers can treat purchase like the "Walmart Return Policy" effect. In brief, when money gets tight people start bringing anything and everything back to Walmart (even if they didn't buy it there) for a refund. Granted they get it on a gift card without a receipt, but this eBay deal has the potential to hurt sellers.

Say you sell a $1k book and five months later the buyer opens a claim. You check delivery status and it was signed for five months ago. The buyer "doesn't agree with the grade" (aka: buyers remorse OR oh *spoon* I need money) and now your PayPal freezes $1k in your account, OR if you don't have it freezes your bank account.

I would like to know the reason PayPal is doing this :popcorn:

They are bringing their system into line with or even surpassing certain credit card charge back schemes to compete, outside of the eBay / store arena if PayPal want to be used for say any event ticket purchases or services then they need to offer more than 45 days for anything bought months in advance. It's this or not being able to grow the business.

... basically I don't believe the move is mostly to do with eBay transactions they want to expand further into the online payment market.

So, If I was a complete scumbag I could buy a new gaming system and a bunch of games and play the poo out of them for 6 months and then return everything for a nice tidy refund?

(full disclosure: I haven't played a game since Resident Evil Code Veronica like a million years ago, so I wouldn't do that even if I was a scumbag. I just figured an example non comic related was in order)

This could really mess some sellers up. wow.

Or wait! Don't those new systems come out and are like $500+ and then after a few months they go down to $200- and are available all over the place? What's to stop people from paying the crazy high initial price, get a refund 5 months later, and then just buy the same X-box or playstation for hardly anything somewhere else after the initial price increase? Any gamers have insight?

One thought I had is that if the OP was reading the holiday return policy and not a permanent change? I know I got the heads-up on increasing my holiday return policy to 180 days, but I don't recall reading that this was an all-year thing.

Also, I was a manager at Macy's back in the 1990's and people would bring in their broken Farberware percolator coffee-makers from the 70's and we'd be forced to exchange them for new ones. My manager's take on it all?

"I don't want to hear any customer complaints. Do what they want."

Peace,

Chip

One thought I had is that if the OP was reading the holiday return policy and not a permanent change? I know I got the heads-up on increasing my holiday return policy to 180 days, but I don't recall reading that this was an all-year thing.

Also, I was a manager at Macy's back in the 1990's and people would bring in their broken Farberware percolator coffee-makers from the 70's and we'd be forced to exchange them for new ones. My manager's take on it all?

"I don't want to hear any customer complaints. Do what they want."

Peace,

Chip

2r3inwz.gif

The extended holiday returns policy was regarding eBay sellers and emailed to eBayers a few months ago.

This new 180 day policy was emailed to Paypal users and is separate from the eBay holiday returns program. I heard about it at least a few weeks ago and was surprised nobody made a thread about it at the time.