• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody reading "Men of Tomorrow"?

18 posts in this topic

I've been reading it on & off during the last week or so, it's a very good read. Very interesting stories concerning Supes, his creation, his development, the men behind the comics, Bob Kane, Dr. Wertham, ect. I highly recommend it! thumbsup2.gif

Asked for it for Xmas, didn't get it... sorry.gif

But got "Tales To Astonish" (Jack Kirby bio) and "Comics Between The Panels" (a sort of encyclopedia of everything comics) 893applaud-thumb.gif

Glad to hear "Men of Tomorrow" is living up to the advance notices - I can't wait to read it!

But got "Tales To Astonish" (Jack Kirby bio) and "Comics Between The Panels" (a sort of encyclopedia of everything comics) 893applaud-thumb.gif

If you haven't picked up Comics Between The Panels (Dark Horse, by Duin and Richardson) grab it - it's the most entertaining book about comics I've read. thumbsup2.gif

If you haven't picked up Comics Between The Panels (Dark Horse, by Duin and Richardson) grab it - it's the most entertaining book about comics I've read. thumbsup2.gif

Goldust,

Can you tell us a little of what Comics Between the Panels covers (without giving too much away)? Also, if you have not read Men of Tomorrow, you should. It's really a well written book & very interesting! thumbsup2.gif

Goldust,

Can you tell us a little of what Comics Between the Panels covers (without giving too much away)? Also, if you have not read Men of Tomorrow, you should. It's really a well written book & very interesting! thumbsup2.gif

It is literally an A - Z of U.S. comics, featuring anecdotes about all the major pedigrees, Stan and Jack, favorite artists, writers, publishers, stories about the personalities in the industry (the book is surprisingly pro - Chuck, but don't let that put you off) dealer shenanigans (great entries about Howard Rogofsky, the IRS collection, Green River, etc.), the birth of proper Comic Conventions, and other fascinating tidbits about the development of the hobby. All in easy to digest encyclopedia paragraphs.

It's great to read witty and incisive articles about comic history which dispense with fanboy zeal but retain the enthusiasm of the long term collector. And the reproductions (and choices of favorite art) are excellent and spot-on too.

I finished it back in early December and I've been raving about on these boards since. Great read for anyone with an interest in the history of the industry. It's very DC-centric though.

And what about Kavalier And Clay ???????

Goldust,

It is literally an A - Z of U.S. comics, featuring anecdotes about all the major pedigrees, Stan and Jack, favorite artists, writers, publishers, stories about the personalities in the industry (the book is surprisingly pro - Chuck, but don't let that put you off) dealer shenanigans (great entries about Howard Rogofsky, the IRS collection, Green River, etc.), the birth of proper Comic Conventions, and other fascinating tidbits about the development of the hobby. All in easy to digest encyclopedia paragraphs.

It's great to read witty and incisive articles about comic history which dispense with fanboy zeal but retain the enthusiasm of the long term collector. And the reproductions (and choices of favorite art) are excellent and spot-on too.

Absolutely second this recommendation for Comics Between the Panels! There is a ton of never before seen info in it! Duin & Richardson did a helluva lot of homework in writing it.

I've also got Men of Tomorow winging its way to me from Amazon as we speak. But given the amount of stuff I have to read ahead of it, I may not get to it before 2008! frown.gif

I skimmed 'Men of Tomorrow' at a Barnes & Noble recently. Interesting stuff, but a lot of reading for someone who read funny books. insane.gif

Thanks for the heads up on 'Comics Between the Panels'. thumbsup2.gif

No problem ... and if you're looking for "brief" reading, CBtP is perfect as it's laid out like a true encyclopedia. You can read as few or as many entries as you like!

the birth of proper Comic Conventions, and other fascinating tidbits about the development of the hobby.

For a much more in-depth look at this aspect of comic collecting, get "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom." I rec'd that back in mid-'04 as a birthday gift and read it over the course of a couple of days... it will recreate, in large part, the enthusiasm and passion that got you interested in comics in the first place. (I love the anecdote about Stan Lee pulling a no-show at the first NY Con (which had about 50 attendees) and sending his secretary to field questions in his stead!)

the birth of proper Comic Conventions, and other fascinating tidbits about the development of the hobby.

For a much more in-depth look at this aspect of comic collecting, get "The Golden Age of Comic Fandom." I rec'd that back in mid-'04 as a birthday gift and read it over the course of a couple of days... it will recreate, in large part, the enthusiasm and passion that got you interested in comics in the first place. (I love the anecdote about Stan Lee pulling a no-show at the first NY Con (which had about 50 attendees) and sending his secretary to field questions in his stead!)

I've read this as well and highly recommend it! Read all about the very first Comic collectors, how they came to find out about one-another, share where they bought thier comics, first mail-order dealers, first conventions,ect,...Excellent Book! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well, I finished reading "Men of Tomorrow" by Gerard Jones and I have to say it is one of the better written books about Comics out there! I don't think I've enjoyed anything quit this much since I first read "Steranko's History of the Comics". Just an all-around good read! I'm going to really go through the "Notes"section, they are a chapter by chapter account of where the information came from.

If you haven't gotten this book, get it! thumbsup2.gif