• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

But can it be graded at all?

22 posts in this topic

So what happens when you've got something that holds tremendous value, would bring an extraordinary price, and has 173 sketches and signatures in it, but can't be graded because there's no criteria for it?

Can it still be sold?

Is it worth trying to sell?

My biggest concern is that I know exactly what I've got (intentionally not saying what it is), and the people who have made serious offers have all asked "if it's CGC'd".

Of course not. There's no option for it.

So what happens when you've got something that holds tremendous value, would bring an extraordinary price, and has 173 sketches and signatures in it, but can't be graded because there's no criteria for it?

Can it still be sold?

My biggest concern is that I know exactly what I've got (intentionally not saying what it is), and the people who have made serious offers have all asked "if it's CGC'd".

I'm intentionally not saying what my answer is. :baiting:

Can it still be sold?

Are you talking about the Marvel autograph book from their 75th anniversary signing at NYCC?

Or it could be a sketchbook, which CGC wouldn't be able to certify. Sounds like either way, it's just something that CGC would not be able to slab and certify, whether that's because the sketches/autographs were not witnessed, or done at different times, etc.

I'd just respond that CGC can't certify this particular item. Put your price on it and if it sells, it sells.

Can it still be sold?

I'm intentionally not saying what my answer is. :baiting:

+1

Yeah... i take it to every show i'm a guest at so getting it signed is easy enough... but offers all come with the question: "Is it CGC'd?"

Nope.

Can't be done. No way no how. So buyers fall off. Frustrating as hell. Is it really that hard to believe something can be signed or sketched in without a gold slab?

Well... combination of signatures and sketches. I'm just bringing it up because when an offer comes in, it seems the only thing anyone cares about now is if there's a little "CGC" in the corner. Without it, the buying market has been trained to believe it's all fake... or a rip-off somehow.

Well... combination of signatures and sketches. I'm just bringing it up because when an offer comes in, it seems the only thing anyone cares about now is if there's a little "CGC" in the corner. Without it, the buying market has been trained to believe it's all fake... or a rip-off somehow.

I was a big Doctor Who fan in the '80s, and I went to a bunch of conventions and got a bunch of autographs in my copies of the program guide. I think I have five of the first six actors to play the Doctor, several of which are dead. But no verification. I wonder what something like that would go for now.

Sounds like a lot of effort has been put into getting all those sigs/sketches.... I don't think you'd ever get an offer good enough to warrant selling it because of the amount of work you put into it. The better question is why would you even want to sell it? It sounds like it could be an excellent conversation piece to have in your own collection.

Indeed. I've taken it to every convention I've been a guest at and i've always just handed it around to other artists and writers. It's a helluva thing and one of a kind (and I plan to keep it that way... hence not saying what it is), but if I ever really DID need to sell it? no less than six figures.

Indeed. I've taken it to every convention I've been a guest at and i've always just handed it around to other artists and writers. It's a helluva thing and one of a kind (and I plan to keep it that way... hence not saying what it is), but if I ever really DID need to sell it? no less than six figures.

Six figures?

For a sketchbook?

Was Jasper Johns one of the guests?

Seems that the sentimental value far outweighs the realistic value.

Not a bad thing. You just have to lower your expectations to reasonable levels IF you were to sell it.

Well that all depends on who did the sketches, doesn't it?

You could try PSA/DNA it. They will authenticate the signatures at least and hopefully potential buyers will extrapolate that the sketch goes with the authenticated autograph. They have bulk signature savings I believe.

Cheers, Howard

I took pics in the beginning.... but when they all passed it around while I'm doing sketches of my own for folks... it just got out of hand and got away from me. And for some...Stan Lee specifically, no cameras allowed. :(

I took pics in the beginning.... but when they all passed it around while I'm doing sketches of my own for folks... it just got out of hand and got away from me. And for some...Stan Lee specifically, no cameras allowed. :(

Can you tell us what book is? Sounds like there is any rooms left for more signatures or sketches.