• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

627 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Great stuff! Adventure Comics #319 is a surprisingly difficult issue to find for a comic from 1964. I still don't have one and I'd really like to fill in my Legion of Super-Hero covers up to at least issue #330. The early Legion covers I still need are #247, 267, 287, 300, 307, 311, 312, 316, 317, 319, 320, 324 and 330 with #267, 311, 312, 316, 317 and 319 being the ones I want the most for nostalgic or aesthetic reasons.

:frown:

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/11/2022 at 2:21 AM, tth2 said:

I think most Legion fans are fans because of either the Shooter run or the Cockrum/Grell run (or both). 

Once again I'm not part of the crowd. My exposure to the Legion began in 1963.

(shrug)

On 5/24/2024 at 8:09 AM, Silver said:

Time to resurrect this thread with an upgrade I've hunted for for years!

IMG_6376.jpeg

You should've bought this copy when I sold it on Heritage a couple of years ago!

image.thumb.jpeg.dc072336af3a1551eddd2f3d6772578d.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Were I rich beyond the dreams of avarice I might have done such a thing. I'm value conscious (particularly these days) and I'm more than reluctant to shell out for "highest graded CGC copy" or the like.

Copies that might grade 8.5 - 9.2 but don't display the kind of defects I really hate, e.g. spine and staple wear. bad miscuts/miswraps, etc. are fine with me. I'm all about a nice spine, whiteness, brightness and overall eye appeal. The nicks and colour breaking stress lines that CGC heavily penalizes don't bother me as much.

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/24/2024 at 7:54 AM, tth2 said:

You should've bought this copy when I sold it on Heritage a couple of years ago!

image.thumb.jpeg.dc072336af3a1551eddd2f3d6772578d.jpeg

You got plenty of my money that auction, just not for that book…iirc it sold for a lot of $$$. I think I picked up 5 or 6 of your books that’s auctions. BTW, that book is stunning!

Posted (edited)

Yes, it's stunning. Yet the man on the street would probably not be able to  "see" the difference between that 9.6 and the 9.2 that Silver posted until it was pointed out to him. And then the proverbial prudent man would gasp and shake his head when it was pointed out to him that the 9.6 fetched $thousands and thus 5x to 10x the price of the 9.2. "Sure it's a nice comic" he'd say "I might even pay $10 for it."

I'm somewhere between a rabid comic collector and the proverbial prudent man.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat