• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Comicfest - Report

16 posts in this topic

Now I may be throwing this show under the bus too early but from the texts and emails I'm getting I'm not hearing good things.

Now supposedly this is the "San Diego comic only show" that collectors seem to be wanting. Now when I don't know any of my competitors doing the show I begin to wonder are the former promoters of San Diego really running this show? Why aren't any of my competitors at the show? Why would I get texts that there was no vintage material at the show?

How is it possible that a Comic only San Diego show is not successful based on all the posts I see that is why they don't go to San Diego anymore. I would think this show would be packed with Vintage dealers and customers buying and selling.

And I am not being sarcastic in my posts. I really would like to see another San Diego show comics only since I love the city and would love nothing more to go do another show there. But based on what I'm hearing I'm wondering if the right "San Diego promoters" are running this show.

I think if another San Diego show is going to be successful, the date needs to fall on the February vacation time frame, roughly just over the halfway mark to the summer show. It allows the show to become that family vacation/comic week that SDCC currently enjoys. It also allows a significant amount of time to pass from other major shows so there is time to set aside funds to spend.

How is it possible that a Comic only San Diego show is not successful based on all the posts I see that is why they don't go to San Diego anymore. I would think this show would be packed with Vintage dealers and customers buying and selling.

I would think this show would be more successful if High Grade Comics were to set up. Just having Bob make an appearance at a show should raise attendance levels by a significant amount. I believe there is strong historical evidence showing that as a popular draw, High Grade/Bob is at least on the same level with the two comic creators with the last name Lee.

Unless I'm flown in and setup in a hotel I refuse to do the show.

That sounds perfectly reasonable.

But these are the former San Diego promoters.

The pure, the uncorrupted, unlike those media whores that San Diego has become and forum bashers claim are ruining the show. Where was the Drama queen Chuck? Wouldn't this be the show he would put under his wing and proclaim to the masses as what San Diego should be?

How can they not be pulling in the vintage comic dealers to do the show?

Is it possible they just assume the dealers will magically show up? Customers will know that the show exists. Everybody knows the former San Diego promoters, right? Remind me who they are again since I can't even name the current San Diego promoters.

Here is the story from the local tv...looks good to me.. I just can't stand complainers. First you complain that SDCC is no longer a comic con...now you get what you ask for ...a real comic con and you cut it down for not having the 100K people not interested in it..give it A for effort..give it a F for publicity, I live in SD and did not get any info on it what so ever..but it STILL IS A COMIC CON and yes it would be better a bit later but not anywhere near Wonder Con

http://www.cbs8.com/story/26822419/hundreds-of-comic-book-fans-in-town-for-comic-fest

Here is the story from the local tv...looks good to me.. I just can't stand complainers. First you complain that SDCC is no longer a comic con...now you get what you ask for ...a real comic con and you cut it down for not having the 100K people not interested in it..give it A for effort..give it a F for publicity, I live in SD and did not get any info on it what so ever..but it STILL IS A COMIC CON and yes it would be better a bit later but not anywhere near Wonder Con

http://www.cbs8.com/story/26822419/hundreds-of-comic-book-fans-in-town-for-comic-fest

I didn't even know about this show until Bob Storms brought it up,now that it's on my radar.I will be there next year. (thumbs u

The eclectic programming is San Diego Comic Fest's biggest attraction for me. They get comic book artists, writers, animators, science fiction authors, and movie special effects people. There was a 100th birthday celebration for Jerry Siegel with his daughter Laura and her sons as special guests. Each year the cafe' has a theme and this year it was The Twilight Zone. Rod Serling's daughter Anne, who is a writer and a poet, was also a special guest. The rooms in which panels are held are small and you can walk right in, no waiting in line. It has the feel of an early San Diego Comic-Con.

One probably won't see an Action Comics #1 or a Steve Ditko Spider-Man OA page at this show, but I did see people buying SA and BA comics to fill their runs or just have some good reading.