• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am confused! Why do people crack open their CGC graded comics?
2 2

214 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
14 minutes ago, Park said:

You shouldn’t be. I suck.

Wait, you tricked me.

Yes, because I suck. Pay attention.

1 minute ago, Park said:
8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
17 minutes ago, Park said:

Wait, you tricked me.

I think I need some adoration from 'Fingh to boost my self esteem now since you're not cutting it.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:
1 hour ago, Park said:
1 hour ago, VintageComics said:
1 hour ago, Park said:

Wait, you tricked me.

I think I need some adoration from 'Fingh to boost my self esteem now since you're not cutting it.

I look forward to Fingh’s “adoration”. 

Also, you suck too.

7 hours ago, Scootrk said:
On 10/21/2014 at 10:12 AM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Some just do it to irritate the slabbies.

I would agree with this it is disrespectful to take a graded comic and crack it for any reason other than to press it and have it bumbed up a grade (if possible) or signed. I don't even like restored so no don't do it. As for the readers please find a copy you can still read. To unslab a comic being a non-professional and in my personal opinion you will immediately decrease grade and value while its un-slabbed then put it in storage and mark the grade but the grade isn't the same anymore it got damaged. (?) Also just opening a cover can and will defect grade or looking through pages. If no 1 cares about grade and value a poor cheap 1 can be bought why pay top dollar for same words same artwork

Holy threadsurrection.

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

And we still don't know the real long term effects of keeping a comic in a slab for years and years.  The company has been in business for what?  18 years?   Tomorrow any slab that has been in a holder for 18+ years could suddenly turn your comic a shade of puke green.   We just don't know.   

I trip out on this thought on a regular basis.  I’ve got a fairly big ticket item entombed in plastic and, like I said, this thought concerns me.  I don’t want to crack it out because it’s just all too big for me to comprehend.  

There’s a knock on the door here. I’m gonna get up and answer it and I may not return.

Edited by NoMan

2 hours ago, D84 said:

Let's all be "disrespectful" and share pictures of books we've cracked out of a slab.

Bedrock started a thread a couple of years ago when he was protesting the new CGC holder and I think he cracked out high 6 figures in books out of slabs and posted pics.

When I owned them, I cracked out most of my personal collection so that I could look at the books.

2 hours ago, Park said:
3 hours ago, VintageComics said:
3 hours ago, Park said:
3 hours ago, Park said:

Wait, you tricked me. 

Also, you suck too. 

Wait, so if you suck and you tell me I suck does that mean that I actually don't suck?

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
2 hours ago, Park said:
3 hours ago, Park said:
3 hours ago, Park said:

Wait, you tricked me. 

Also, you suck too. 

Wait, so if you suck and you tell me I suck does that mean that I actually don't suck?

Quite possibly.

But you still suck.

I am confused as to why anyone would keep a comic sealed up in a slab, makes no sense to me at all. What's the point of owning it if you can't read it and touch it and look at it? This obsession with a made up grading scale number and never looking at a comic you buy is bizarre to me, I can't wrap my head around it at all. Do people that keep comics slabbed also have records they never play and shelves full of books they never read? I can understand buying a graded slabbed comic of it's expensive and rare to make sure you aren't being ripped off, but keeping it sealed up after owning it I will never understand. Sure you can look at the cover, but what the heck does anyone do with it beyond that? So it just sits in a box and will never be looked at? Why even have it? To each their own, it's just really strange to me.

I think I posted something in this thread years ago but if not, here are my thoughts.  I've cracked out many books to enjoy over the years but none over $1000. When we are talking about some SA keys like Hulk 1 where a .5 difference in grade is thousands, I'm simply keeping it slabbed. I'm not taking the chance of a lower grade coming back. I also know quite a few guys that will not pay market value for a comic in a mylar with a CGC label inserted inside. There are very few books that I know will stay with me for the majority of my life.  

9 hours ago, catman76 said:

I am confused as to why anyone would keep a comic sealed up in a slab, makes no sense to me at all. What's the point of owning it if you can't read it and touch it and look at it? This obsession with a made up grading scale number and never looking at a comic you buy is bizarre to me, I can't wrap my head around it at all. Do people that keep comics slabbed also have records they never play and shelves full of books they never read? I can understand buying a graded slabbed comic of it's expensive and rare to make sure you aren't being ripped off, but keeping it sealed up after owning it I will never understand. Sure you can look at the cover, but what the heck does anyone do with it beyond that? So it just sits in a box and will never be looked at? Why even have it? To each their own, it's just really strange to me.

I have a lot of "more readable" versions of books that I've collected. The Dark Knight Returns anniversary hardcover, The Death of Superman omnibus hardcover, Marvel Famous Firsts slipcase, Civil War crossover slipcase, etc.

Most of my collection will be Signature Series stuff on display, and a readable copy on a bookshelf or in a cabinet.

I think that most people want to preserve the history of stuff from the Gold, Silver, and Bronze Ages. It makes sense to me.

I don't see how a person can polish the Rings and keep them shiny and colorful, unless the Holders are opened and Ring maintenance is performed.

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
11 hours ago, catman76 said:

Do people that keep comics slabbed also have records they never play and shelves full of books they never read?

Yes. Without question.

I also bump into a hundred kids a day who wear T-shirts of bands they've never listened to.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I think that most people want to preserve the history of stuff from the Gold, Silver, and Bronze Ages. It makes sense to me.

You can do that with a mylar and an acid free board. There seems to be this bizarre idea that in order to preserve the history, you need to entomb the comic.