• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF # 12

149 posts in this topic

Today I had the pleasure of holding a raw 9.2 to a possible 9.4 copy! hail.gif A buddy of mine has a friend who used to buy HG silver up to eight years ago.

He also has a FF #25 in HG and FF Ann. #1 in HG. He's stopping by tomorrow with some 10 to 20 books that I am gonna scan and pack for him for a short visit to Sarasota. grin.gif

I'll post scans tomorrow.

Today I had the pleasure of holding a raw 9.2 to a possible 9.4 copy! hail.gif A buddy of mine has a friend who used to buy HG silver up to eight years ago.

He also has a FF #25 in HG and FF Ann. #1 in HG. He's stopping by tomorrow

Is he slabbing to sell? hi.gif

Those are 3 awesome-sounding books there, Mr. High. Let us know what you think of these raw beauties when you get a look-see, and also about other issues as well.

On a related note, I've been following the FF auctions on the Link (FF2,4,5,12,25, etc in either 9.2 or 9.4), and not one of them had sold the last time I peeked. Maybe some sellers just need to take their time, to really feel out the market. On the other hand, it is interesting that no one has jumped at these steep but gorgeous books.

it is interesting that no one has jumped at these steep but gorgeous books

"Steep" is QUITE an understatement!!! 100% to 200% inflation over a two-year period is unsustainable.

FFs are no longer "supahot," for whatever reason. Prices for the last few months have been lower than they were a year ago, although we'll get a better picture now that Christmas is over. It almost seems like the Marvel movie hype now starts as soon as a film is announced and then peters out almost a year before it actually gets released. X-Men and Spider-Man didn't crest until right around the time the movie came out, but starting with Daredevil and continuing on with Fantastic Four, Spider-Man 2 (Doc Ock appearances), X-Men 2, and X-Men 3 (Phoenix keys, especially 101 and 137), the prices went up right around the initial announcement, and actually fell back to earth prior to the movie's release or IMMEDIATELY thereafter.

Absolutely agree that the prices asked are huge increases from a few years ago.

It's not like these books wouldn't sell if the increase was only 20-30%. I think most would be gone in a day.

I also think once you hit that $10K barrier, there aren't anywhere as many collectors will to spend that money on one book.

Plus, (and this ties into the Hulk #1 thread), many times when books over a certain amount get sold, there is some type of TRADE / EXTENDED PAYMENT PLAN involved. And once you get into the extended payment plan, that usually means the buyer is either selling other books or eventually trades books to seller to reduce the cash outflow.

A little history on the FF #12. My friend bought it from Vinnie(before he merged with Metro) around 8 years ago for $2,000. 893whatthe.gif I think he told me guide was $750 at that time. He remembers that Vinnie wouldn't budge from that amount.

Those are 3 awesome-sounding books there, Mr. High. Let us know what you think of these raw beauties when you get a look-see, and also about other issues as well.

On a related note, I've been following the FF auctions on the Link (FF2,4,5,12,25, etc in either 9.2 or 9.4), and not one of them had sold the last time I peeked. Maybe some sellers just need to take their time, to really feel out the market. On the other hand, it is interesting that no one has jumped at these steep but gorgeous books.

good point. When greedy sellers overprice their books to cash in, they shouldnt expect quick sales, or maybe, any sales at all! I dont mean to criticize them personally: when I sell, I will want every freaking dollar I can for them!! But if I put them up at prices like Dougs Vault "Buy Em If You Dare" prices, I have to expect to get very, very lucky, or wait a looong time for a buyer. Get me a motivated seller every time!!

A little history on the FF #12. My friend bought it from Vinnie(before he merged with Metro) around 8 years ago for $2,000. 893whatthe.gif I think he told me guide was $750 at that time. He remembers that Vinnie wouldn't budge from that amount.
sumo.gif

Well let's hope its at least a 9.2. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Did you ever see that EBay auction for the same issue about 6 months ago?. The book also ended up on the Link and might have eventually sold on Pedigree. When it was on EBay the seller indicated that it was bought from Metro as a 9.0 or something but when graded it came out a 7.5 (something like that). If I remember the book had a terrible dust shadow on the right edge and I believe the PQ was awful. I hope this isn't the case here. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Well let's hope its at least a 9.2. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Did you ever see that EBay auction for the same issue about 6 months ago?. The book also ended up on the Link and might have eventually sold on Pedigree. When it was on EBay the seller indicated that it was bought from Metro as a 9.0 or something but when graded it came out a 7.5 (something like that). If I remember the book had a terrible dust shadow on the right edge and I believe the PQ was awful. I hope this isn't the case here. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

how did so many good books go so bad over the years????

Bad storage conditions I guess.... tongue.gif