• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF # 12

149 posts in this topic

I agree the single average grade serves nicely to eliminate the human error quotient in grading, Im just looking for a way out of the current formulaic grading/pricing straight-jacket we are suddenly squeezed into.

you point here is a VERY interesting one to ponder.

i hadn't really given thought to the 3 grade averaging aspect of this before. i suppose you could search out those 9.0s for sale and tout them as having been graded as an average of 9.33, but i'm not sure that would accomplish anything.

i do disagree to some extent with your above comment. i'm finding that more and more folks are commenting on the perceived actual condition of the book inside the slab as opposed to simply seeing the 9.2 grade and going on from there. i think that many folks who buy these HG books will be bidding differently based on what they see in the slab, as opposed to being driven solely by the label.

that restored AF #15 (9.0 SP) that FFB brought back to our attention yesterday, is a perfect example for me. it may be graded a 9.0 but i think it's slightly overgraded and don't like that number "6" which i believe they attempted to remove.

i might look at the next 9.0 restored to come along quite differently.........(i'd like to think that this particular book got the 9.0/9.0/8.5 treatment... grin.gif)

If get the chance, read my CONCLUSION, on the the POLL I started "WHAT MATTERS MOST".

If you thing the ONE GRADE, puts us in a straight jacket, in general Overstreet and CGC grading standards, go against what collectors are looking for most in their COMIC, which is EYE APPEAL.

I agree the single average grade serves nicely to eliminate the human error quotient in grading, Im just looking for a way out of the current formulaic grading/pricing straight-jacket we are suddenly squeezed into.

Steve said that they are working on making grader's notes available on-line, which I assume will include all 3 grades! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Steve said that they are working on making grader's notes available on-line, which I assume will include all 3 grades!

I really hope they get the graders notes online soon. I hate calling because I know it interupts them from grading (every once in a while they say they are too busy, no dah).

I also hope they put the three different grades as usually I have to ASK for these after they read me the notes.

ALSO---

Does anyone know (of course someone from CGC could chime in), WHO determines the Page Quality?

Do all three graders give a PQ rating or just the FINALIZER?

I'm, confused - how can you ever tout a 9.0 as a 9.33?

9.0, 9.0, 9.2 = 9.06 (or 7), right?

or are we talking about the new math? confused-smiley-013.gif

sorry.gif

wasn't doing the math, just following Aman's original post.

you are correct, the grade would be 9.067 or 9.07 if rounded............. insane.gif

you point here is a VERY interesting one to ponder.

i hadn't really given thought to the 3 grade averaging aspect of this before. i suppose you could search out those 9.0s for sale and tout them as having been graded as an average of 9.33, but i'm not sure that would accomplish anything.

i do disagree to some extent with your above comment. i'm finding that more and more folks are commenting on the perceived actual condition of the book inside the slab as opposed to simply seeing the 9.2 grade and going on from there. i think that many folks who buy these HG books will be bidding differently based on what they see in the slab, as opposed to being driven solely by the label.

that restored AF #15 (9.0 SP) that FFB brought back to our attention yesterday, is a perfect example for me. it may be graded a 9.0 but i think it's slightly overgraded and don't like that number "6" which i believe they attempted to remove.

i might look at the next 9.0 restored to come along quite differently.........(i'd like to think that this particular book got the 9.0/9.0/8.5 treatment... grin.gif)

thanx Burnt. Im also finding that we are looking at the book moe and not just the grade... but is this affecting prices? Or are books that dont measure up to the label just being passed on? For instance... if a 9.2 usually sells for $2000 and a 9.4 for $4000, does a 'poor' 9.4 sell for less than 4K BECAUSE of its appearance? If so , by how much?

What Id like to see is a way to break the whole 9.4 equals TWICE a 9.2 price.... and use some of those numbers in between! Clearly the fact that graders three grades "create" inbetween grades might be an opening toward that goal..