• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchasing a Copper/Modern collection (photos now added)

144 posts in this topic

No, it is wrong. Issue 50 is the conclusion of the storyline, it can in no way be construed as the first appearance of JLD. I understand you don't want to admit you're wrong though.

The "market" hasn't decided on anything. The "market" doesn't know about 49 because both of these issues were ignored until a few months ago by everyone except people that actually were interested in reading them, and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons posted on the internet that 50 was the first appearance of the group because of the cover art.

Your comparison to Hulk 180 is an absolute failure as that book is in the whole cameo/first full appearance gray area. There is no gray area here, as the team is recruited and formed in issue 49.

Rail! Rail against the dying of the world! Rage! Rage against the dying of the light!

I already said I know what happens in issue #49. What I said was that the market has decided that #50 is the 1st appearance. It's the issue they're currently paying more for. You can gnash your teeth and curse my name all you want, it won't change things.

Get mad! Get angry! Keep posting! Get the last word in! GET IT!

Peace,

Chip

:signfunny:

Chip is right. At least currently.

Swamp thing 50 is selling for a lot more right now. Based on wrong information or not, it's selling for more.

I think its so obvious that 49 is the 1st appearance, that it will eventually get traction and become more valuable.

Chip is just saying people are putting their money into what they believe is the first appearance, which the market is indicating is Swamp Thing # 50. Right or wrong, that's what is happening.

In all these situations where there is some debate over the first appearance the first cover appearance always seems to attract the most dollars. I can't think of any examples of the non-cover cameo (or even not so cameo) first appearance becoming the more valuable.

I already said I know what happens in issue #49.

There are two possibilities here:

1) You actually have read issue 49 and know the content.

2). You are lying.

You currently have an auction for issue 50 running on eBay where you state in the title that the book is the first appearance of JLD. If you have in fact read issue 49 then you are being deceptive with that auction. If you haven't read issue 49 then you are being ignorant. Which is it?

What I said was that the market has decided that #50 is the 1st appearance.

No. What you originally stated was this:

Swamp Thing #50 - 1st Justice League Dark

This is what I have an issue with. Another instance of someone using a well-trafficked comic site to either knowingly or unknowingly prop up a book with information that isn't true. It seems like Columbia Comics moves a decent amount of books. And he apparently doesn't know about the books in question, no offense to him, but he did start this thread asking about books from the era. What if he follows your garbage advice and sells a copy of issue 50, or several copies of it, to customers under the pretense that it is the first appearance of JLD? Bad information being widely disseminated within a hobby tends to turn people away. Since you make a living selling comics this should concern you.

It's the issue they're currently paying more for.

Which wasn't the original argument and something I have never denied.

You can gnash your teeth and curse my name all you want, it won't change things.

People are paying more for it because they are being led to believe its the first appearance of JLD. 11 of the 14 current listings for issue 50 on eBay make the false claim of the first appearance in the title. This book is selling based on bad information. Its not the result of the "market" looking at the two books and making a conscious decision. Its a default win for issue 50 because the "market" isn't even aware of issue 49's content.

And yes, it can change things. The "market" changes its mind all the time, especially when the information they were using to make their decision about which book to buy turns out to be false. It is even more likely to happen when the book in question has only been sought after for a very short amount of time and is still relatively cheap to acquire.

Again, this isn't a case of where a character makes a cameo appearance in one book and then appears in the whole story and on the cover of following book. There is no debate to made here for issue 50 when the entirety of issue 49 is dedicated to the creation of the JLD team.

I already said I know what happens in issue #49.

There are two possibilities here:

1) You actually have read issue 49 and know the content.

2). You are lying.

You currently have an auction for issue 50 running on eBay where you state in the title that the book is the first appearance of JLD. If you have in fact read issue 49 then you are being deceptive with that auction. If you haven't read issue 49 then you are being ignorant. Which is it?

What I said was that the market has decided that #50 is the 1st appearance.

No. What you originally stated was this:

Swamp Thing #50 - 1st Justice League Dark

This is what I have an issue with. Another instance of someone using a well-trafficked comic site to either knowingly or unknowingly prop up a book with information that isn't true. It seems like Columbia Comics moves a decent amount of books. And he apparently doesn't know about the books in question, no offense to him, but he did start this thread asking about books from the era. What if he follows your garbage advice and sells a copy of issue 50, or several copies of it, to customers under the pretense that it is the first appearance of JLD? Bad information being widely disseminated within a hobby tends to turn people away. Since you make a living selling comics this should concern you.

It's the issue they're currently paying more for.

Which wasn't the original argument and something I have never denied.

You can gnash your teeth and curse my name all you want, it won't change things.

People are paying more for it because they are being led to believe its the first appearance of JLD. 11 of the 14 current listings for issue 50 on eBay make the false claim of the first appearance in the title. This book is selling based on bad information. Its not the result of the "market" looking at the two books and making a conscious decision. Its a default win for issue 50 because the "market" isn't even aware of issue 49's content.

And yes, it can change things. The "market" changes its mind all the time, especially when the information they were using to make their decision about which book to buy turns out to be false. It is even more likely to happen when the book in question has only been sought after for a very short amount of time and is still relatively cheap to acquire.

Again, this isn't a case of where a character makes a cameo appearance in one book and then appears in the whole story and on the cover of following book. There is no debate to made here for issue 50 when the entirety of issue 49 is dedicated to the creation of the JLD team.

Please Chip I have nothing against you,except that you are truly a person that's trying to run a business,yet have no idea what you are doing.Educate yourself,understand your business model and live it.Most importantly always do what's right for your customers. 2c

OK, this is a bit silly.

So, every listing for any comic that has a questionable designation by "the market" should also have a big disclaimer with it?

IE. I am selling X-Force 2, I need to put in a paragraph how this is the market's accepted 2nd appearance, but, in reality there is some debate about XF 1 being it, since there's a pin-up and a card?

There are literally hundreds of these debates that will never be settled, I think it's crazy to expect every seller to give a history lesson for each comic they sell on ebay.

What about Batman Adventures 12, should that be listed with every "non-continuity" comic along side it, and with a story about what the 1st "in continuity" appearance is.

Maybe I should also define continuity, esp since the new 52 has shaken that up as well?

OK, this is a bit silly.

So, every listing for any comic that has a questionable designation by "the market" should also have a big disclaimer with it?

IE. I am selling X-Force 2, I need to put in a paragraph how this is the market's accepted 2nd appearance, but, in reality there is some debate about XF 1 being it, since there's a pin-up and a card?

There are literally hundreds of these debates that will never be settled, I think it's crazy to expect every seller to give a history lesson for each comic they sell on ebay.

What about Batman Adventures 12, should that be listed with every "non-continuity" comic along side it, and with a story about what the 1st "in continuity" appearance is.

Maybe I should also define continuity, esp since the new 52 has shaken that up as well?

No,if you don't know,don't put it in your listing.Easy right!

Boy, why do people get such a hard on for that? Haha, it was there that I first learned that 49 & 50 were the story. I personally have more 49's than 50. Oh well...

Disseminating false information, either intentionally or out of ignorance, and using it to make money off of others, yes why would that bother people?

There's an easy fix to that: educate yourself, and no one can make money off of you using bad information.

Joe, a buyers ignorance does not absolve the seller of his ethical responsibility to be truthful. To me as a seller, uneducated buyers can be a problem but unethical sellers are a much greater problem and can cause instability across the market. It is sellers like this that contributed to my exit from the hobby for twenty odd years, and it was ethical dealers that brought me back in. Ethical dealers must stand up to the unethical or they risk the stability of the market. If we want the market to be around another 30 years, we need to ensure that the corrupt actions of a few don't stain the hobby as a whole.

Boy, why do people get such a hard on for that? Haha, it was there that I first learned that 49 & 50 were the story. I personally have more 49's than 50. Oh well...

Disseminating false information, either intentionally or out of ignorance, and using it to make money off of others, yes why would that bother people?

There's an easy fix to that: educate yourself, and no one can make money off of you using bad information.

Joe, a buyers ignorance does not absolve the seller of his ethical responsibility to be truthful. To me as a seller, uneducated buyers can be a problem but unethical sellers are a much greater problem and can cause instability across the market. It is sellers like this that contributed to my exit from the hobby for twenty odd years, and it was ethical dealers that brought me back in. Ethical dealers must stand up to the unethical or they risk the stability of the market. If we want the market to be around another 30 years, we need to ensure that the corrupt actions of a few don't stain the hobby as a whole.

There have been more uneducated speculators in this hobby than most care to count. But they just don't know any better, and go where the assumed money is supposed to be made.

The challenge of any collectibles hobby.

So got a phone call earlier in the week from a collector looking to sell his collection. I happened to be the third individual he called but fortunate for me, the first two were "rude" to him (his words).

Anyways, long story short:

Looked at a small subset of the collection yesterday and it pretty much starts in the late 70s and ventures up to the mid 90s. Lots and lots of nice, high grade books.

The ASM run starts in the 170s and ends around 400. It has a 238, 3 copies of 300, 6 copies of 361 (all unread) and many of the variant Spider-Man 1 covers. Good stuff!

Also has a full run of NMs, with the 87 and 98 in nice shape, with 3 copies of 100 and 2 copies of Annual 2.

Made a deal to acquire the ASMs and the NM and a few short boxes of X-Men. Only book I know is X-Men 4 (Omega Red).

The collection as a whole is easily in excess of 10k books, spanning over 300 titles. Not ever single issue is there but there are runs of all the mainstream titles with most of the key books.

I'm going to list the keys that are present and if anyone can think of any I'm missing (from that time frame), please post them here. The ones that are present are:

DC Comics Presents 26, 47

Swamp Thing 37

Suicide Squad 1

Legends 3

Omega Man 3 (multiple copies)

A-Team 1 (like 12 copies; def 9.8 candidates)

Batman 359, 386, 404-408, 426-428

X-Factor 6, 24

New Teen titans 2, 44

West Coast Avengers 1 (many copies)

Cap America 360

Hulk 340

Killing Joke

I know I'm missing some....but I know the ones above are there. Any others I should look out for?

There's some nice stuff in there. But the day Legends 3 and Suicide Squad 1 are actually considered "keys" is probably the day I will burn every copper age book in my collection as a sign of protest. lol

-J.

There's some nice stuff in there. But the day Legends 3 and Suicide Squad 1 are actually considered "keys" is probably the day I will burn every copper age book in my collection as a sign of protest. lol

-J.

$9.8's of Legends #3 have been selling for $300 lately.

What's the address where the collection burning will take place? I need to get my camera ready.

:baiting:

-J.

What's the address where the collection burning will take place? I need to get my camera ready.

:popcorn:

OK, this is a bit silly.

It depends on the book. These two Swamp Thing issues don't involve your typical first appearance discussion where it comes down to the length of the appearance, dialogue, the number of panels the character appears in, etc. Its not a cameo vs first full appearance argument. There is no gray area here.

If you want to argue about a first appearance as long as you have some rationale behind your argument that gives it some sort of legitimacy then I don't have a problem with that. If you want argue Avengers 54 vs 55 for example, I don't take issue with you claiming either of those as the first appearance of Ultron.

But that isn't what is happening in this case. The entire plot of issue 49 is the recruitment of the team, with them coming together at the end of the issue and beginning their journey against the great darkness. The only thing that issue 50 has going for it is that it is the first cover appearance.

So yes if people continue to make the claim that issue 50 is the first appearance in a public forum I am going to call them out for it, because it isn't correct and its encouraging others to buy into something based on bad information.

-J.

lol

I was gonna say, he best get to burning.