• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

With $16.7 million in its sixth weekend (-37%) and a new domestic total of $630.9m, Walt Disney's Black Panther has officially out-grossed the $623m cume of The Avengers. Oh, and it has also out-grossed the $619m domestic total of Star Wars: The Last Jedi as well. That means that A) Black Panther is now the fifth-biggest domestic grosser of all time in North America and B) Black Panther is now the biggest-grossing superhero movie ever in unadjusted domestic grosses. Oh, and that sixth-weekend gross is the fourth-biggest sixth-weekend gross (sans inflation) behind only Frozen ($19.5m in 2014), Titanic ($25.2m in 1998) and Avatar ($34.9m).

Ryan Coogler's MCU drama is now in 40th place among all movies in terms of domestic tickets sold. There is a case to be made that conversations about inflation (the fact that tickets are a lot more expensive than they were in the time of Gone with the Wind, Star Wars or The Matrix) can be balanced by the acknowledgment that a lot fewer folks go to the movies today. Back even in 1999, DVD was barely a thing and we didn't have the deluge of at-home viewing options, the various online distractions and the high-end surround sound and HDTV items available at comparatively affordable prices. It doesn't entirely cancel out the increases in ticket prices and the popularity of "premium" options like 3D, IMAX and D-Box, but it's worth noting.

In terms of just superhero flicks, the $630.9 million cume now sits behind only the adjusted totals of Spider-Man ($403m in 2002/$638m adjusted), The Dark Knight ($534m in 2008/$684m adjusted) and The Avengers ($623m in 2012/$705m adjusted). It will probably top the adjusted gross of Sam Raimi's Peter Parker passion play this week and it's a coin toss as to whether it'll get past Chris Nolan's Batman sequel. $700m+ still feels like a bridge too far, but A) T'Challa has been upending even optimistic expectations from the start and B) if Ready Player One doesn't click, then Rampage is a long time (April 13) from now.

5 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Bosco,  where are you getting the $200 mil production budget From?  Box office mojo has it as n/a so what sites are you pulling it from?

Page 35 - I don't make these figures up. I actually apply research into these details. Though I think doing this going forward has become less fun.

Saw it yesterday...... definitely a bit different from the usual Marvel flicks. I liked it........ tons of action and not too contrived. My only complaint was that they seemed to leave the main message of the movie for after the credits ........ most of the viewers had left. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Page 35 - I don't make these figures up. I actually apply research into these details. Though I think doing this going forward has become less fun.

Well I certainly hope you don't stop doing this stuff I enjoy reading it.  Also I wasn't trying to stir anything up, I just had not seen a production budget posted.

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why is Black Panther not doing as well overseas as the other top 5 films?

Remember the Wonder Woman results in certain countries where women are considered a lower class (India, Russia), or where the movie was banned completely because Gal Gadot is Israeli? Well, same ignorance raises its ugly head with regard to non-Caucasians in certain countries.

Chinese moviegoers think Black Panther is just too black

Marvel’s first black superhero film Black Panther made a strong debut in China, taking in more than $63 million this weekend and helping it cross the billion-dollar mark globally. And while the film filled seats in China, it didn’t exactly bring in rave reviews from Chinese audiences—in fact, online reviews hint at subtle racism and discomfort with the all-black cast.

Set in Wakanda, a fictional country in East Africa that’s hidden from the outside world, the movie portrayed a romanticized version of Africa that had never been touched by the white man. Led by a cast of black actors and actresses, the film presented how the king of the country, T’Challa, used his intelligence, ancestral knowledge, and access to advance technologies to become the superhero Black Panther.

But the movie—which comes as a timely portrayal and celebration of blackness half a century after Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination—is hardly resonating with Chinese audiences. On Douban, China’s IMDb-esque platform, the film holds a 6.8 rating out of 10 — almost half of science-fiction and action movies rated by Douban users have a better score.

Outside of China, Black Panther is on track to become the highest-rated superhero movie, according to Rotten Tomatoes; 97% of reviews from critics have been positive. Some moviegoers disliked Black Panther because they felt Marvel was trying too hard to be politically correct. While many reviewers on Douban stopped short of leaving overtly racist comments about the film, many discussed their discomfort of being surrounded by so much blackness.

“Maybe the Chinese are still not used to a film full of black people,” wrote one reviewer on Douban. The commenter said he had to pinch himself more than 10 times to stay awake during the movie because “Black Panther is black, all the major characters are black, a lot of scenes are black, the car-chasing scene is black—the blackness has really made me drowsy.”

Black Panther too ‘politically correct’ for China as ticket sales dive in world’s second-largest market

Black Panther opened at the top of China’s box office last weekend, collecting an estimated $US62.8 million ($81 million), but a lukewarm audience response has seen ticket sales dive in the days since. Many Chinese movie-goers have criticised the hit Marvel film — which has so far earned more than $US1 billion globally — for what they saw as its “political correctness”.

Black Panther has a majority black cast and was widely praised by Western critics and members of the African diaspora worldwide for its empowering characters. In contrast, the film currently has a rating of 6.7 out of 10 on the Chinese movie reviewing platform Douban, and a rating of 7.1 out of 10 on fellow review site MTime.

“It is Hamlet marked with African tribal cultural symbols. If you replaced those human characters with animals, it would be The Lion King the sequel,” said one top-rated comment on Douban.

“I just dislike stereotyped political correctness.”

Chinese film critic Chu Mufeng wrote on his Weibo account that it appeared the film’s global success “seems to suggest the film’s social significance is greater than its content”.

2 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Well I certainly hope you don't stop doing this stuff I enjoy reading it.  Also I wasn't trying to stir anything up, I just had not seen a production budget posted.

No harm done from you. There's just a few folks that play games to detract from the details to prove their superior knowledge. No matter the facts.

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
42 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why is Black Panther not doing as well overseas as the other top 5 films?

Remember the Wonder Woman results in certain countries where women are considered a lower class (India, Russia), or where the movie was banned completely because Gal Gadot is Israeli? Well, same ignorance raises its ugly head with regard to non-Caucasians in certain countries.

Chinese moviegoers think Black Panther is just too black

That was certainly my first guess, but I was hoping I was wrong.  :frown:

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That was certainly my first guess, but I was hoping I was wrong.  :frown:

I was floored by some of the audience follow-up posts. And the ones making their way into English publications are the polite comments so as not to embarrass someone.

:frown: