• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

When I was a kid I would have never dreamed of a world where almost all the top 10 worldwide movies of all time are geek movies.  Come a long way in a short time.

there's no shame here, you can admit #11 is your favorite

2 minutes ago, paperheart said:
23 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

When I was a kid I would have never dreamed of a world where almost all the top 10 worldwide movies of all time are geek movies.  Come a long way in a short time.

I don't expect either of you to admit to how many times you've sung "Let it Go" in the shower.  :blush:

2 minutes ago, paperheart said:

I've got a daughter who must have watched it a dozen times at least.  I probably can sing most of the songs in my sleep since I'm sure its in my subconscious somewhere.

But for 8 out of the 10 top worldwide movies to be geek movies is just staggering.  I remember when ET was a big deal.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

But for 8 out of the 10 top worldwide movies to be geek movies is just staggering.  I remember when ET was a big deal.

It is incredible when you step back and consider what the Hollywood opinion was about these movies years ago. Now, they are some of the hottest properties and studios are trying to grow their own franchises.

I'm just concerned with Valiant Comics 'growing' when you see all that leadership talent being flushed out of the company.

23 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Whatever your (people in general) opinion is about SNL the Jeopardy sketch has always been hilarious.  This had me busting out loud laughing.  Potato saladlol.

The game show host helps the skit out in a major way. Those facial expressions when T'Challa answers.

:roflmao:

18 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Wait. I thought the new measure was how much more profitable Wonder Woman was compared to all its in-year Marvel movies. You know - because that's what you fine ladies would do for a few months if the stats were the reverse.

No. 6 ‘Wonder Woman’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

No. 7 ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

No. 8 ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

No. 9 ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

Heck, with Spider-Man Homecoming having an estimated $157M Print & Ad budget, I assumed you all would be talking this to death.

I'm so confused what we're arguing about anymore.  The fact that WW is more profitable than any individual Marvel movie that year is surely a feather in its cap no?  Big box office revenue numbers are great and all, but ROI is where it's at for investors.

7 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm so confused what we're arguing about anymore.  The fact that WW is more profitable than any individual Marvel movie that year is surely a feather in its cap no?  Big box office revenue numbers are great and all, but ROI is where it's at for investors.

lol

It's all good. Paperfart has been leaning on an old joke crutch by picking on Justice League repeatedly because WB set itself up for failure. Any time him and Gatsby can throw in a '...better than JL', they will. All part of the fun.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

It's a false flag because the numbers reported are not in the public domain, and further do not take into account ancilliaries (which almost any Marvel movie would best any DC movie) so when you try to wade into those weeds you are not only dealing with incorrect/speculative data, but also incomplete data.  

Which is why how "profitable" a movie was (to a studio) usually only enters the conservation when it in fact under performed relative to other movies.  

-J.

'Black Panther' Packs Theater for Historic Showing in Saudi Arabia

Black Panther officially added another achievement to its very long list today. The Marvel Cinematic Universe film was the first film to receive a theatrical screening in Saudi Arabia in 35-years and the seats were packed for this momentous occasion.

Saudi Arabia began observing very conservative regulations as part of its growing push towards religious values back in 1979. This lead to movie theater closures in the early 1980s, but back in December, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman announced that the ban on theatrical movies was being lifted. Today, that lift happened with an AMC-branded theater in Riyadh screening Black Panther to a full house.

As Saudi Arabia has nearly 23 million citizens under the age of 30, the nation could end up a massive foreign market for movies with some estimating annual revenue around $1 billion. This would make Saudi Arabia among the top 10 theatrical foreign markets. AMC Entertainment is looking to open up 40 theaters there within the year and is planning for a total of 100 within the next five years.

What's cool about Black Panther is he is considered like Deadpool cool now. 

Who would have thought 5 years ago that both Black Panther and Deadpool would be considered hotter IPs than Superman and both will have a faster track at getting future sequels?

Amazing surprise hits both Black Panther and Deadpool were.