• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That was certainly my first guess, but I was hoping I was wrong.  :frown:

I think they were not too happy about the Star Wars Last Jedi as well.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Criticized in China for Insulting IQ of the Audience

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-chinese-box-office-poor-disappointing/

The Star Wars saga is often perceived as a global phenomenon, as fans seemingly cover the globe. One region in which the series often stumbles is China, with The Last Jedi opening to just $28 million, as compared to The Force Awakens' opening of $52 million. While the series has never been as popular in China as it has been in other markets, one popular review on website Douban claims the film "really insults the IQ of its audience."

:ohnoez:

38 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think they were not too happy about the Star Wars Last Jedi as well.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Criticized in China for Insulting IQ of the Audience

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-chinese-box-office-poor-disappointing/

The Star Wars saga is often perceived as a global phenomenon, as fans seemingly cover the globe. One region in which the series often stumbles is China, with The Last Jedi opening to just $28 million, as compared to The Force Awakens' opening of $52 million. While the series has never been as popular in China as it has been in other markets, one popular review on website Douban claims the film "really insults the IQ of its audience."

:ohnoez:

hard to question the bias/taste/intelligence of movie-goers in China  :whistle:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=operationredsea.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=detectivechinatown2.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=monsterhunt2.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wolfwarrior2.htm

3 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

You should acknowledge the source.2c   

You should attempt to put more into sharing information other than copying another site. And logging into a different profile.

:whistle:

Finally saw this movie.

I was pretty tired when I went to see it, and I admit I fell asleep during the rather slow beginning but my friend claims I was only asleep for a few minutes and he said "you didn't miss anything". Things picked up when Killmonger challenged.

Wakanda felt and looked like the city from Thor Ragnarok.

This film didn't grab me, overall I give it a 6/10

On 3/26/2018 at 12:15 PM, fantastic_four said:

Why is Black Panther not doing as well overseas as the other top 5 films?

Maybe it's just not that good and the hype of it being a groundbreaking film here didn't matter over there. I'm not surprised people have said because the Chinese are racist though.....

44 minutes ago, ianh said:

Maybe it's just not that good and the hype of it being a groundbreaking film here didn't matter over there. I'm not surprised people have said because the Chinese are racist though.....

I have a friend from China and he always says we American people worship and love black people by admiring the black sports stars, hip-hop stars,voting for a black president and making Black Panther number one domestic super hero of all time. So from his China perspective he thinks the USA is the least non-racist country he has ever been in.

lol

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Here's a random milestone: Walt Disney's Black Panther earned around $2 million yesterday, bringing its 41-day domestic total to $637.6m. That means the film has earned a weekend-to-cume multiplier of 3.156x from its initial $202.003m Fri-Sun weekend. Not only is that a dynamite figure of its own accord, but it's now leggier than Ant-Man. That MCU flick earned $180.2m over the summer of 2015 from a $57.7m debut, giving it a 3.149x multiplier. This means that Black Panther is now the second-leggiest Marvel Cinematic Universe movie ever.

In terms of domestic legs, it sits behind only Guardians of the Galaxy. That James Gunn-directed sci-fi flick earned $333 million in 2014 from a $94m debut, giving it a whopping 3.55x multiplier. Now unless Black Panther gets to $716m domestic, the Ryan Coogler-directed action drama will remain in second place for this specific category. But it's probably going to keep that silver medal for awhile as I'm almost certain that Avengers: Infinity War will be a bit more frontloaded, if only by having to deal with Deadpool 2 and Solo in its fourth and fifth weekends of release.

Of note, this is a pretty impressive achievement, especially when you consider that the film earned $40 million on its first (Presidents Day) Monday, meaning that you had a lot of upfront demand sucked up right out of the gate. And, as I've noted at length, Black Panther did its thing against a bunch of flicks (Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim: Uprising, A Wrinkle in Time, etc.) that arguably envisioned themselves to be relative event movies. Whether Black Panther did damage to the competition or single-handedly saved us from a "springtime for hitless" pre-summer season is up for debate, but either way, the film opened huge and stayed huge almost right up to summer, even with no real "kids out of school" type advantages after opening weekend.

20 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I have a friend from China and he always says we American people worship and love black people by admiring the black sports stars, hip-hop stars,voting for a black president and making Black Panther number one domestic super hero of all time. So from his China perspective he thinks the USA is the least non-racist country he has ever been in.

lol

By least non-racist does he mean most racist?

Not being facetious, I'm just un-clear.

2 hours ago, marvelcollector said:

By least non-racist does he mean most racist?

Not being facetious, I'm just un-clear.

From his perspective he thinks America is not racist and applauds the USA for being a melting pot with many diversities . 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 3/19/2018 at 9:30 AM, gadzukes said:

I think we humans enjoy seeing records broken, whether it's an athletic record, or a record price for a comic book, or a movie box office record.  Everyone knew the first Avengers movie was going to do really well at the box office, but Black Panther (and to a slightly lesser degree Wonder Woman) came out and SO exceeded expectations that I really cheer for it's success.  Part of me knows it's just the industry getting rich, but another part of me is rooting for the movie to just keep breaking records.  

Black Panther has always been a "B" list character in the Marvel Universe.  NO MORE!  BP will now be "A" list all the way. 

Marvel Cinematic Universe.  The success of this movie unfortunately won't pull Black Panther up to a "A" list character in the Marvel Universe.

You don't need to look any further than Guardians of the Galaxy as an example.  "B" characters before the movie and "B" characters today after two movies and countless attempts by Marvel to create a GOTG comic that has longevity.