• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

'Black Panther' Had a Larger Budget Than Recent Marvel Movies

During a recent interview with Vulture, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige revealed that Black Panther has a slightly higher budget than other recent Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, largely as a way to properly bring to life the world of Wakanda.

“I hope you can tell from watching the movie," Feige explained, "but the resources devoted to this movie are equal to and in fact surpass our last couple of movies.”

As Feige put it, the choice to give Black Panther a larger budget was somewhat of a no-brainer, considering the multiple layers of impact that the film will have.

“It’s a big story that deserves to be told in a big way, for all of the cultural and political reasons that people talk about, but also because it’s such a key corner of our Marvel universe, and has been for decades and decades,” Feige went on to say. “We wanted to do it justice, and we have a studio with Disney, and leaders with Alan Horn and Bob Iger, who supported us a hundred percent.”

In a post-MCC MCU world, good on Feige being open to make the bigger investment in a movie when it makes sense.

Looks like Black Panther is turning into a cultural event as well as going to be a success at the box office.

‘Black Panther’ is so powerful, it could change Hollywood forever.

http://www.kansascity.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/jenee-osterheldt/article199919324.html

‘Black Panther’ reviews say it’s a ‘landmark,’ ‘classic’ and basically every other superlative

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2018/02/06/black-panther-reviews-say-its-a-landmark-classic-and-basically-every-other-superlative/?utm_term=.bce170d02c4d

'Black Panther,' already a cultural moment, is about to shatter movie business assumptions

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-movie-projector-black-panther-20180214-story.html

Why
‘Black
Panther’ Is a
Defining Moment for Black America

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The hype on this is getting to a level that I can't imagine the film will live up to.  It's a superhero movie, not some long-lost rediscovered play from Shakespeare.  :makepoint:

it's so bad i bought a ticket for Friday, haven't seen a movie on opening day in eons

Edited by paperheart

Marvel Mastermind KEVIN FEIGE Talks Diversity In The MCU

Speaking to Vulture  Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige stated his belief that these concerns don’t hold water and that films that Black Panther are ready to disprove that: 

“Myths of what plays overseas or what doesn’t, or what type of person someone wants to see in a lead role … that’s all noise until somebody comes and disproves it.”

Marvel Studios certainly doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to representation – there’s a reason that “attractive white guy named Chris” joke keeps staying relevant.  It’s not an issue that’s gone unnoticed or has been entirely accidental on their part either. 

Be it a mandate requiring the removal of a female villain in Iron Man 3, the casting of Tilda Swinton to play an Asian role in Doctor Strange or the desire for a solo Black Widow film falling on deaf ears since the characters first appearance in Iron Man 2. 

Things are slowly changing though, and Marvel is developing an increased emphasis on representation in their movies. Last year so Tessa Thompson cast as Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok  proving to be a standout in that film and Feige anticipates a similar reception for DeWanda Wise in next year’s Captain Marvel.

“Taking a character like Valkyrie and giving it to Tessa is a no-brainer. Yes, it becomes a think piece, it inspires hot takes, but she’s awesome! We knew she was awesome, and now the world knows she’s awesome. And the same thing [will happen] with DeWanda. For us, it’s about getting these unbelievable actors to agree to do these characters, the combination of which we hope will become iconic around the world.”

Inevitably whenever someone mentions a focus on representation the general conversation can turn toxic, cruel and ignorant --  predominantly from those people who have never had to want for it . Who have never struggled to see themselves in their heroes. Or don’t have to watch as characters with their gender or ethnicity or sexuality are constantly kept form the spotlight. Some think the notion of inclusion is an agenda, a world gone mad and say it doesn’t really matter so why bother and who cares? Kevin Feige is not one of those people making a last point that all people who don’t often see themselves on screen can connect with.   

“It’s something that’s easy to take for granted, growing up in the United States as a white male, that my cinematic heroes look like me. I never thought they looked exactly like me, because I’m not a big athletic hero, but they do. It’s something that over the course of these ten years, having a certain amount of power over what type of movies are made and what type of actors we hire, I want everybody to have that feeling. We don’t take it for granted that people want to see themselves reflected in our heroes and our characters. That’s been the case in the comics for years, and, finally, that’s the case in the movies, and will only continue from here.”

On the one hand, it's got a $200 million budget.

On the other hand, this might do Passion of the Christ -style business.

I liked the analysis in (I believe) the LA Times article -- noted that while we've seen black superheroes before (Blade, Hancock) -- the characters were incidentally black.

Not culturally African, let alone a joyous celebration of African political and technological prowess.

Guarantee this does more than Justice League's $229 million domestic.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

On the one hand, it's got a $200 million budget.

On the other hand, this might do Passion of the Christ -style business.

I liked the analysis in (I believe) the LA Times article -- noted that while we've seen black superheroes before (Blade, Hancock) -- the characters were incidentally black.

Not culturally African, let alone a joyous celebration of African political and technological prowess.

by Fri 2/23 ?

24 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Why would you even compare the two when it is known now how half-baked JL was?

Do you walk by 8 year holds and pay them to race you up the street so then when you beat them you scream 'I RULE!'?

(:

Now, the better comparison is against other origin films with unique backgrounds.

Will we see Black Panther beat the Deadpool record - including profitability? They are both coming out at around the same time.

Edited by Bosco685

Will ‘Black Panther’ Smash the ‘Deadpool’ February Box Office Record?

BlackPantherDeadpool.jpg

Two years ago, “Deadpool” pushed the boundaries of what a superhero movie could do outside the traditional blockbuster season, making a February-record $152 million on President’s Day weekend. But this weekend, “Black Panther” could rip that record to shreds with some vibranium claws.

With three days to go until the film’s Thursday night nationwide release, independent trackers have Ryan Coogler’s superhero movie making $165 million over the four-day weekend. Not only would that set a new February box office record, but it would bring “Black Panther” close to the record for the biggest opening for a single-superhero movie, which is currently held by “Iron Man 3” with $174 million.

As it stands, “Black Panther” is expected to post an opening that would rank in the top 10 for superhero films. Disney is projecting a more conservative four-day start of $150 million, which would equate to a 3-day total of roughly $130 million. To crack the top 10, “Black Panther” would need to to beat the $133.6 million made by “Suicide Squad” in August 2016.

$152,193,853 (2016) = $157,178,056.31 (2018)

Should be interesting.

Edited by Bosco685

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

But even coming near that figure for a February release, it would be an impressive number.

I think both are going to be big hits and save the box office this time of the year :banana:

On 2/6/2018 at 9:41 AM, paperheart said:

Spider-Man 2 (83 Metacritic) dethroned?  Could there be a new superhero king on Metacritic? The King of Wakanda: Black Panther 88 on 19 reviews (roughly 40% of total reviews are in)

with only 10 or so Metacritics to be heard from, looks like a fait accompli that Black Panther will be the new superhero king of Metacritic (unless Rex Reed gets counted multiple times)

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/black-panther

87 Black Panther

83 Spider-Man 2

82 Dark Knight