• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Why is that? Don't care for the character? 

Ditto that. No interest at all. Even going back to the 70's as a kid I have yet to read a Black Panther series which held my interest. Same goes for Hawkman, The Inhumans, it just certain characters are better as the D-list guest stars that they are

Just now, Bosco685 said:

What about folks that enjoy both DC and Marvel movies, and find the silly competition posts silly?

That's like saying Patriots and Eagle fans are both going to be rooting for each other in tommorrow's SuperBowl.

DC and Marvel are competitors just like Playstation and Microsoft are.

For DC to get better they have to step it up to get to Marvel's level or the sad fact is they will stop making the DC movies eventually.

If Aquaman flops in the year that Avengers Infinity War and Black Panther break records that might make Warner rethink their movie plans.

That is very concerning to me because I like that Marvel has competition. If DC pulled out than Marvel would have to wait until Valiant movies arrives on the scene and that could be years. So yeah I want DC to succeed to keep Marvel on their toes.

I just hope ANTMAN 2 doesn't beat Justice League at the box office as that would be very eye opening.

There, here I am a Marvel fan hoping that AntMan 2 doesn't beat Justice League to save DC Comics some face.

30 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Let's face it. You can't joke with DC fans. The littlest thing will set them off nowadays.:flamed:

Seeing Black Panther beating their superteam Justice League decisively much be painful for them.

DC fans instead of getting upset with Marvel's success should look at why mainstream don't get their heroes.

The first thing I would do if I was DC would get away from the SuperFriends characters.

55049c3aceb606adf4eac281a1444c3e--marvel-comics-superheroes-marvel-heroes.jpg

I had great childhood memories of these characters,but they are hard to translate into real world live-action heroes.

That is why their Animated movies are better. They work better in a cartoonish world and not good in a real world like Marvel heroes do.

As I said before DC should focus more on the Vertigo characters like Sandman/Starman and modern characters like Lobo/Deathstoke.

Time to move away from the Justice League type characters.

These characters are hard to portray on the big or small screen? I have to disagree. When they portray the characters in a way it works for the general audience, the formula works.

- Lois & Clark

- Smallville

- Superman (1977)

- Superman (1981)

- Batman (1989)

- Batman Returns (1992)

- Arrow (2012-present)

- The Flash (2014-present)

- Supergirl (2015-present)

I do agree with you tossing out the unique and fresh characters from time to time will drive interest with the right portrayals and stories. But there are folks that are going to want the traditional characters as well. But going with the Vertigo universe makes sense too when you think about Swamp Thing, Constantine and many others. Bring on that Justice League Dark movie finally!

Edited by Bosco685

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I just hope ANTMAN 2 doesn't beat Justice League at the box office as that would be very eye opening.

There, here I am a Marvel fan hoping that AntMan 2 doesn't beat Justice League to save DC Comics some face.

But will it exceed Wonder Woman? It is a sequel, so these characters are established now.

Justice League is already known to be a loss. So to keep referencing the lowest of the low, and disregarding where Man of Steel, Batman V Superman or Wonder Woman at least financially succeeded would be missing out. Heck, Suicide Squad was a poorly crafted story and still showed fresh and unique characters caught the attention of audiences. What a win that could have been if the -script had been solid (and shown in China even - though that means no Katana).

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

These characters are hard or portray on the big or small screen? I have to disagree. When they portray the characters in a way it works for the general audience, the formula works.

- Lois & Clark

- Smallville

- Superman (1977)

- Superman (1981)

- Batman (1989)

- Batman Returns (1992)

- Arrow (2012-present)

- The Flash (2014-present)

- Supergirl (2015-present)

I do agree with you tossing out the unique and fresh characters from time to time will drive interest with the right portrayals and stories. But there are folks that are going to want the traditional characters as well. But going with the Vertigo universe makes sense too when you think about Swamp Thing, Constantine and many others. Bring on that Justice League Dark movie finally!

The movies you mentioned are from decades ago.

TV shows are a different beast than live action movies.

The movies you mentioned were from a different era similar to how at one time Tarzan and Westerns rules the Hollywood landscape.

Even Batman is becoming overused and dated. They should have stopped at the Bale/Nolan movies. That was Batman's peak. The Batfleck is just a poor substitute.

Now can I get my Deathstroke and Lobo movies, and enough of these Justice League nostalgia reboots?

24 minutes ago, Lonzilla said:

Ditto that. No interest at all. Even going back to the 70's as a kid I have yet to read a Black Panther series which held my interest. Same goes for Hawkman, The Inhumans, it just certain characters are better as the D-list guest stars that they are

At least though Black Panther has a good solid history. We all know T'CHALLA is the Black Panther. I don't think any origin is more confusing than Hawkmans. How many Hawkmen were there? Is he alien? 

Inhumans was never going to work because the main character Black Bolt doesn't talk. That doesn't translate well in the movies/tv shows like it does in the comics.

Probably explains why Snake-Eyes is huge in comics but mediocre on the big screen. The character doesn't talk like Black Bolt.

9 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The movies you mentioned are from decades ago.

TV shows are a different beast than live action movies.

The movies you mentioned were from a different era similar to how at one time Tarzan and Westerns rules the Hollywood landscape.

Even Batman is becoming overused and dated. They should have stopped at the Bale/Nolan movies. That was Batman's peak. The Batfleck is just a poor substitute.

Now can I get my Deathstroke and Lobo movies, and enough of these Justice League nostalgia reboots?

Heck, I didn't even toss in the Nolan trilogy. Which only had movie-goers desiring more.

Now as far as Batfleck, considered one of the strong points of BvS, unfortunately his commitment to the role seems based on an easier road. Though I am not sure how many of us would like people posting about our 'work' daily, and commenting about every little thing concerning a role we are starring in. But it wasn't like WB didn't warn him ahead of time.

Should be interesting to see what the new WB DC Studio lead does with the lineup.

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Heck, I didn't even toss in the Nolan trilogy. Which only had movie-goers desiring more.

Now as far as Batfleck, considered one of the strong points of BvS, unfortunately his commitment to the role seems based on an easier road. Though I am not sure how many of us would like people posting about our 'work' daily, and commenting about every little thing concerning a role we are starring in. But it wasn't like WB didn't warn him ahead of time.

Should be interesting to see what the new WB DC Studio lead does with the lineup.

:wishluck:

I just want them to get away from the core original Justice League characters.

DC has some great other characters they could explore.

What about Spectre,Demon, SwampThing and Mister Miracle?

I rather see some new stuff than Batman vs Joker or Superman vs Luthor again for the hundredth time.

Time to give those characters a rest for awhile.

One thing about Wonder Woman was it seemed fresh, and not like oh it's Bruce's parent getting killed again or watching Superman save Lois again.

DC has a vast library of really great characters.

Where are the Haunted Tank and SGT. Rock kind of movies?

Let's get something different this time.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

8 hours ago, Lonzilla said:
9 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Why is that? Don't care for the character? 

the character and his world seem boring to me. I've never read a Black Panther story-line where I thought "Man I can't wait to see this on the big screen" like let's say Batman or Spider-man. Who are the Black Panther's villains? I do see who the past few years they have made the character's role in the universe  (comics) more important but even then, who is the Black Panther, what does he stand for etc.

I get that this is part of the Marvel universe, and it will have it's traditional easter eggs that every one loves but the character just doesn't seem enough for me to go watch 2 hours. I'll eventually watch it because I watch a lot of movies but this seems to me like a waste. The character is a supporting character and his role in Civil War was enough for me.

truth be told, i have only small interest in it.  black panther was just a very minor player in some ff issues before i was done with comics @ '69.  and other than upgrading some of those issues during my "adult" collecting life, he holds no charm for me.  i'll of course go see it, as i see almost all of them [didn't go to theater for catwoman, punisher war zone, 2nd ghost rider, ff reboot, but those are the only exceptions i can call to mind], but sure doesn't need to be a first weekend outing.

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

truth be told, i have only small interest in it.  black panther was just a very minor player in some ff issues before i was done with comics @ '69.  and other than upgrading some of those issues during my "adult" collecting life, he holds no charm for me.  i'll of course go see it, as i see almost all of them [didn't go to theater for catwoman, punisher war zone, 2nd ghost rider, ff reboot, but those are the only exceptions i can call to mind], but sure doesn't need to be a first weekend outing.

exactly my point. not a very compelling character/storyline

yeah, was stoked about this film originally, then the stream of SJW comments started coming out. the soundtrack on the trailers didn't help either. i don't think hip hop when I think about T'challa. i'll probably see it, but I might not make special effort like I have on past films. (shrug) 

On 2/3/2018 at 12:10 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Let's face it. You can't joke with DC fans. The littlest thing will set them off nowadays.:flamed:

Seeing Black Panther beating their superteam Justice League decisively much be painful for them.

DC fans instead of getting upset with Marvel's success should look at why mainstream don't get their heroes.

The first thing I would do if I was DC would get away from the SuperFriends characters.

55049c3aceb606adf4eac281a1444c3e--marvel-comics-superheroes-marvel-heroes.jpg

I had great childhood memories of these characters,but they are hard to translate into real world live-action heroes.

That is why their Animated movies are better. They work better in a cartoonish world and not good in a real world like Marvel heroes do.

As I said before DC should focus more on the Vertigo characters like Sandman/Starman and modern characters like Lobo/Deathstoke.

Time to move away from the Justice League type characters.

Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot disagree with you. And Batman is, along with Spider-Man, still the most popular superhero with the general public.

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot disagree with you. And Batman is, along with Spider-Man, still the most popular superhero with the general public.

Yeah, and Batman works best when he is alone, as soon as they put him with the rest of the Superfriends in a movie than we realize how ridiculous a man in a bat costume looks fighting crime. When they put him with Superman it killed the suspension of disbelief. All the good will Nolan/Bale created with thier trilogy was thrown out the window.

btw this a Black Panther thread, and not a DC thread.

Just pointing out maybe this discussion should be in another thread.

:foryou:

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yeah, and Batman works best when he is alone, as soon as they put him with the rest of the Superfriends in a movie than we realize how ridiculous a man in a bat costume looks fighting crime. When they put him with Superman it killed the suspension of disbelief. All the good will Nolan/Bale created with thier trilogy was thrown out the window.

btw this a Black Panther thread, and not a DC thread.

Just pointing out maybe this discussion should be in another thread.

Could you remind yourself of this when you take your 'this movie is going to exceed Justice League' statements, which then lead to such discussions?