• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Nope, not gonna buy into the hype of early reviews (Justice League and Last Jedi broke the camels back).

I'm excited to see this movie.  I love the trailers.  I'm going to see this movie no matter what the early reviews say (good or bad).

Good for you! Make your own opinion from seeing it.

:applause:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Good for you! Make your own opinion from seeing it.

:applause:

Spoiler

'Black Panther' first reactions: It's 'astonishing,' 'iconic' and 'will save blockbusters'

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

1st reviews of the film are coming back amazing. These are critics that hate our super hero films and they loved this one. 

Someone said James bond of the marvel u. I can't wait to see it now.

I think this might be one of Marvel's top movies critically and box office wise. It just has that feel and look to it. Looks hip and modern. Does not look lame and goofy.

3 hours ago, The Brain said:

Hide contents

'Black Panther' first reactions: It's 'astonishing,' 'iconic' and 'will save blockbusters'

I didn't know Marvel movies needed saving.  

4 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I didn't know Marvel movies needed saving.  

Where did it say Marvel needed saving? The statement was 'will save blockbusters'.

God forbid someone say 'Marvel'.

:baiting:

I've never understood the weird brand devotion and hate mentality for the other. I tend to like DC's comics better and Marvel Movies better, but I really have nothing against one company or the other. 

I know the internet tends to be the most opinionated place, but some people make it there life's goal to smash others.

As someone who's also worked for both companies at one time or another, both have their ups and downs like any place.

5 minutes ago, Rip said:

I've never understood the weird brand devotion and hate mentality for the other. I tend to like DC's comics better and Marvel Movies better, but I really have nothing against one company or the other. 

5f839ba4815186bafc91ac84fa495e20_-no-cap

This movie looks fantastic, and I'll be there opening day, as I am with every comic book movie. But why do they make up narratives like "BP will save blockbusters"? GOTG 2 made close to 400 million, Wonder Woman was a phenomenal box office smash, Spider-Man did 325 million, Thor made over 300, Jumanji is still going gangbusters, and this little movie called Star Wars just did 600 mil domestic.

I think what they really need to say is that superhero and fantasy films are saving the box office, because blockbusters are doing just fine.

17 hours ago, paperheart said:

As much as this would get you excited, the story is this is some group that disagrees with critic scores driving entertaining. They latched onto the 'we're DC fan' thing to have something as a point of motivation.

Not to say Marvel fans don't gang-rush the sites and post 100% for any of those movies. Every side has fanatics like this.

Alt-Right Group Plans To Sabotage 'Black Panther' Rotten Tomatoes Score

An alt-right Facebook group who gained attention for lowering the Rotten Tomatoes score of The Last Jedi late last year has now set its sight on the already well-received Black Panther.

The group, Down With Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys, has created an event titled “Give Black Panther a Rotten Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes,” with the following synopsis:

“Given the massive success of the audience review rigging on the Rotten Tomatoes site for ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi,’ and due to the sudden rise in those disgruntled with Disney business practices, among other factors, especially due to the corporate manipulations which created falsified bad press for the DCEU [DC Extended Universe], I feel that it’s time to strike back at all those under Disney and bring down the house of mouse’s actions for paying off the critics that hurt DC Comics on film and for other parties affected by them,” wrote the event creator.

I’ll be making events like this for ‘Infinity War’ and the Netflix shows etc so we can rally together to truly make a difference…If you want to spread spoilers to Marvel fanboys, use this event as a platform to inform us of targets!”

The group doesn’t seem to have a political agenda, their frustrations stemming from Disney (who distributes both The Last Jedi and Black Panther) allegedly planting bad reviews or paying critics for negative press for DCEU (DC Extended Universe) films. But the moderator of the group previously referred to himself as alt-right according to a report from Huffington Post.

In that same report the moderator, who remained anonymous in speaking with the publication, claimed that he and others a part of the group tanked The Last Jedi‘s score because of the inclusion of more female characters, as well as Oscar Isaac‘s Poe Dameron being a “victim of the anti-mansplaining movement.”

“Thanks to friends of mine who taught me a thing or two about Bot Accounts, I used them to create this audience score through Facebook accounts created that subsequently logged into Rotten Tomatoes who rigged this score and still keep it dropping,” the group’s moderator said.

This sounds like a group that has a bigger axe to grind than wanting to fight over DC movies. I'd say it is even beyond Disney, though they are the point of focus.

21 hours ago, Rip said:

I know the internet tends to be the most opinionated place, but some people make it there life's goal to smash others.

As someone who's also worked for both companies at one time or another, both have their ups and downs like any place.

Agreed - I just don't get why people can't like both and those that like one have to hate the other????

I am a big DC Fan (Superman, Batman, JLA), but also love the X-Men and Silver Surfer (so I collect both DC and Marvel).   I like movies from both and I dislike movies from both.  I think Black Panther (and Infinity War) look awesome! I also think Man of Steel was great and really liked WW.  I also thought Suicide Squad was terrible and that Avengers: Age of Ultron was a massive letdown ...... you don't need to pick sides and even if you do, you don't have to hate on the other.  I personally like that the tone in DC and Marvel movies is different and I like that the success of superhero movies in general is leading to more super-hero movies (although I fear fatigue may eventually set-in)!

Anyway - really looking forward to this movie.  I personally think it looks awesome and will crush it at the box-office.

Edited by Chillax23

26 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Agreed - I just don't get why people can't like both and those that like one have to hate the other????

I am a big DC Fan (Superman, Batman, JLA), but also love the X-Men and Silver Surfer (so I collect both DC and Marvel).   I like movies from both and I dislike movies from both.  I think Black Panther (and Infinity War) look awesome! I also think Man of Steel was great and really liked WW.  I also thought Suicide Squad was terrible and that Avengers: Age of Ultron was a massive letdown ...... you don't need to pick sides and even if you do, you don't have to hate on the other.  I personally like that the tone in DC and Marvel movies is different and I like that the success of superhero movies in general is leading to more super-hero movies (although I fear fatigue may eventually set-in)!

Anyway - really looking forward to this movie.  I personally think it looks awesome and will crush it at the box-office.

Only to the fanboys is it a matter of picking sides. IMO DC wont succeed with an extended universe because, to paraphrase General Nathan Bedford Forest, "Marvel got there firstest with the mostest", and I just don't think the general public has the appetite to consume two unrelated comic book universes at the cinema.  This point will get sharper when, as you mentioned, fatigue sets in (which I think has already started). Heck, I'm fatigued with it already.

'Black Panther' Now Tracking For $150 Million Opening Weekend

Now, Variety is reporting that the latest Marvel Cinematic Universe release will likely open at $150 million over the four day President's weekend. That would put it in the same range as the monster blockbuster, Spiderman 3 and above all the Harry Potter films for opening weekend box office.

The film not only has been doing lion size numbers in pre-orders but also has thousands of fans raising money for those less fortunate to be able to go to the theaters and watch the ground-breaking film. We reported that two DC fans, Sheraz and Zayyan have started a GoFundMe page.

Variety is also reporting that Black Panther has an incredible total awareness of “Black Panther” at 88%, unaided awareness at 43%, and definite interest at 57%. Black Panther recently gained more mainstream attention as Atlantic columnist and New York Times Best-selling author Ta-Nehisi Coates took over the book for a period.

2 hours ago, RedRaven said:

as you mentioned, fatigue sets in (which I think has already started). Heck, I'm fatigued with it already.

Fandom has a HUGE appetite for similar properties like Godzilla reboots vs Pacific Rim parts <3 1 & 2 vs Transformers franchise movies and cartoons.

Get ready for T'Challa and his Lexus in a Superbowl Sunday ad.