• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

Went with my wife today as I was given free tickets from a company event. She liked it and laughed throughout (as did most of the packed house), as did I.

I was surprised how many people took off right before the credits got rolling, as folks should know by now there is more coming. I really liked that post-credit scene, but would have liked the original plan for it.

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Already broke $500M worldwide. If this doesn't cross $900M, it will be surprising. Although a billion is always the target.

n9M2h1m.png

Anybody think this has a shot at 1 billion? I think it will be close. Also does it have the juice to beat out ASM:Homecoming and GotG2 for number one Marvel movie 2017?

On 11/9/2017 at 5:27 PM, Unca Ben said:

Saw this with a buddy.  I enjoyed it, but not as much as some on here did.  Ragnarok is pretty serious business and the humor undercut the themes a bit, in my opinion. 
The Kirby stuff was beyond awesome, but I actually like the first 2 Thor movies better.  Heresy; I know.

Respect your viewpoint.

One thing I like about Thor in this movie was he was funny. I wish the Thor in the comics I read was like this, and not the stoic Thor. The Thor in the movies has a great personality.

Also comparing the three Thor movies I find Thor:Ragnorak not only the best Thor movie,but one of the best Marvel movies of all-time.

It had action,adventure, humor and excitement. It reminded me of the Indiana Jones flicks I watched as a kid.

This Thor:Ragnorak movie left me wanting more Thor movies which the first two didn't.

Thor:Ragnorak was a homerun!

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I found the first Thor movie to be a great foundation movie. You had the seriousness of the Norse mythology via Marvel retelling mixed with action and even humor when you consider the Warriors Three and Thor learning to cope without his powers. Even the scene where he goes into the pet store demanding a horse for battle or the locals getting drunk while trying to lift the hammer all landed solidly. Not sure why more people don't see it in a more positive light.

Edited by Bosco685

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I found the first Thor movie to be a great foundation movie. You had the seriousness of the Norse mythology via Marvel retelling mixed with action and even humor when you consider the Warriors Three and Thor learning to cope without his powers. Even the scene where he goes into the pet store demanding a horse for battle or the locals getting drunk while trying to lift the hammer all landed solidly. Not sure why more people don't see it in a more positive light.

I take it for enjoyment and the fact i am seeing heroes from childhood appear on the big screen.People what is not to like in the way the world views our hobby i'm one that does a happy dance daily :banana:

Edited by comicjack

I really liked the first Thor movie (B+).  Anthony Hopkins was awesome in particular as Odin.  Good acting, solid laughs, a real (if timeworn) arc for the character.

Thor 2 was also 'fine' in my mind (B) because I liked the Loki story and the creativity of the final battle.  (The earth stuff with Jane, etc., however, was bland.)

Thor 3 (A-) had some trouble balancing the humor with the seriousness, but definitely the most entertaining and wild of the three films.

Dan

8 minutes ago, Drummy said:

I really liked the first Thor movie (B+).  Anthony Hopkins was awesome in particular as Odin.  Good acting, solid laughs, a real (if timeworn) arc for the character.

Thor 2 was also 'fine' in my mind (B) because I liked the Loki story and the creativity of the final battle.  (The earth stuff with Jane, etc., however, was bland.)

Thor 3 (A-) had some trouble balancing the humor with the seriousness, but definitely the most entertaining and wild of the three films.

Dan

All in all the Thor Trillogy holds up well against the Iron Man and Captain America trilogies.

btw amazing isn't it that we had 9  solo movies of the big three, as 10 years ago there was none?

On 11/10/2017 at 12:42 PM, Sardo Numspar said:

I still watch this every once in a while. It’s actually really enteraining.

So is the episode with Daredevil and John Rhys-Davies as the Kingpin.

THOR: RAGNAROK VFX Supervisor Discusses Bringing Taika Waititi's Korg To The Big Screen

Thor_Taika.jpg

In an interview the visual effects supervisor Jake Morrison explains the odds the crew faced to bring the character to life. One of the odds is obviously Waititi’s height, considering that Korg was designed to be around 7-foot 6-inches tall. The crew decided to give the actor/director a backpack extension that featured a cardboard Korg head placed on a pole’s end meaning that “when Chris Hemsworth was actually riffing with Taika he would know where the eye line was, because that’s the important thing. You don’t want the eye line to stray down to Taika’s real eye line,” the supervisor said.

The character’s height was a small problem in comparison to the fact that he is made up of 1,334 individual pieces of rock. Luma Pictures and Framestore faced the challenge of animating almost every single piece of Korg’s body trying to follow the director’s performance as closely as possible. According to Luma Pictures animation supervisor Raphael A. Pimentel his team was studding Waititi’s performance to extract the essence of his Korg: “We ended up picking the strongest beat during the performance and animated around it; essentially keeping the punchline mannerisms, while slowing the remainder in order to hit Korg’s slower and weightier pace”.

Both companies had to figure out how to animate a character made of rocks, not flesh and also create the physics behind more than one thousand stones: “we started with a body mesh that contained helper muscles to keep volume. Although Korg is not made of muscles, his anatomy behaved as if it did, bulging and contracting depending on his motion. There was also a layer of set driven keys that allowed animators to control individual rocks, if needed,” explained Pimentel.

thor-ragnarok-10-600x438.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

Box Office: 'Thor: Ragnarok' Tops $200M Domestic And $650M Worldwide

Thor: Ragnarok earned $56.6 million in its second weekend of domestic release, bringing its ten-day domestic total to $211.6m in North America alone. That puts Thor 3 ahead of The Incredible Hulk ($132m), Captain America: The First Avenger ($176m), Ant-Man ($180m), Thor ($181m) and Thor: The Dark World ($206m).

That 54% second-weekend drop is right in the healthier realm of “normal” for the MCU. It’s bigger than Doctor Stranger (-49%). But it’s smaller than Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (-55%), Thor: The Dark World (-57%), Ant-Man (-56%) and Spider-Man: Homecoming (-62%).

Speaking of overseas, the $180 million sequel has earned well over $650 million worldwide. The film is now past every pre-Avengers MCU movie (along with Ant-Man and Thor: The Dark World) and on the cusp of passing  Doctor Strange ($677m). At this juncture, a total over the $714m cume of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy ($773m) is certain although (especially with Justice League on the horizon) a total over Guardians 2 ($863m) and Spider-Man: Homecoming ($879m) may be a bridge too far.

Or maybe not, as it should have close to $750 million global by next weekend.

Went and saw it again last with another friend who hadn't seen it.  So I've contributed in total $50 to those financial numbers (yes, I had to pay for all the ticketslol).

But there is one thing that keeps bothering me (not a spoiler but I'll tag it just in case)...

Spoiler

Why did Hela dismiss the tesseract as something that wasn't impressively powerful as she was going through the treasure room?  Walked right by it and went to the eternal flame.

6 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Went and saw it again last with another friend who hadn't seen it.  So I've contributed in total $50 to those financial numbers (yes, I had to pay for all the ticketslol).

But there is one thing that keeps bothering me (not a spoiler but I'll tag it just in case)...

Hide contents

Why did Hela dismiss the tesseract as something that wasn't impressively powerful as she was going through the treasure room?  Walked right by it and went to the eternal flame.

I wondered the same thing. And in a Feige interview the other day, he wouldn't go into any details about it. Even when asked if Loki truly took it as a gift for Thanos, he wouldn't go into any details.

What bothered me...but knowing Disney/MCU, the Infinity Stones will probably be used to fix this later on...

Spoiler

The death of the Warriors Three. They were with Thor through so much of his adventures, and they were killed off like their characters didn't matter. And where was Thor's massive sadness at their death?

Also, like has been noted Lady Sif not being present during the BIGGEST threat to Asgard is making no sense. She would be there, by her friends' sides to the end.

Edited by Bosco685

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I wondered the same thing. And in a Feige interview the other day, he wouldn't go into any details about it. Even when asked if Loki truly took it as a gift for Thanos, he wouldn't go into any details.

What bothered me...but knowing Disney/MCU, the Infinity Stones will probably be used to fix this later on...

Hide contents

The death of the Warriors Three. There were with Thor through so much of his adventures, and they were killed off like their characters didn't matter. And where was Thor's massive sadness at their death?

Also, like has been noted Lady Sif not being present during the BIGGEST threat to Asgard is making no sense. She would be there, by her friends' sides to the end.

Spoiler

It was simple budget and availability .  I do not think they wanted to pay all of the worriers three, and one did contribute to the first major fight vs. Hela.  Apparently, Jaimie Alexander was unavailable due to scheduling conflicts with her TV show.

I am floored that Thor 3 is going to end up the 5th highest grossing Marvel movie.