• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

My “hate” is against those who had an issue with MOS because they felt they didn’t stay true to the character. I think they took IMHO a very boring/inaccessible character/world in Thor and made him entertaining. Great job. However this is not Thor and that’s ok. Just like the Superman in MOS is ok. 

Where I find fault in your logic is that, having a movie/episode/issue be "off-beat" or comedic is something that is very familiar from the comics.  Whether it was silly "assistant editor's month" issues, or just other single-issues, there's a long history of this sort of thing with many characters. However, while humor or goofy issues might be allowable... you'd NEVER see the single-issue where Batman pulls out a gun and shoots someone.  Nothing so decidedly off-brand that it goes against the core of the character.  That's the apples vs. oranges leap you seem to be trying to make between Thor and MOS.  Now, I'm going to Thor in the morning so I haven't seen it yet... so I'm just speaking generally. 

But I do think it's nice for Marvel to, in a "shared" Universe, to have a few movies that strike a different tone than the others a bit.  I think that's been well earned.

I don't mean any of this as a criticism of MOS or anything... simply that I think going for humor vs changing a character's essense are not moral equivilances IMHO.

Saw it today, liked it a lot.  So is the first appearance of Korg going up, being he was the most likeable character.  I could have sworn that South African accent was Ninja from Die Antwoord and Chappie.  There's a during credit and post credit scene for those that wonder if you want to wait through the credits.  Turns out it was the director, if you want to laugh, check out his movie What We Do In Shadows.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

4 minutes ago, fmaz said:

Where I find fault in your logic is that, having a movie/episode/issue be "off-beat" or comedic is something that is very familiar from the comics.  Whether it was silly "assistant editor's month" issues, or just other single-issues, there's a long history of this sort of thing with many characters. However, while humor or goofy issues might be allowable... you'd NEVER see the single-issue where Batman pulls out a gun and shoots someone.  Nothing so decidedly off-brand that it goes against the core of the character.  That's the apples vs. oranges leap you seem to be trying to make between Thor and MOS.  Now, I'm going to Thor in the morning so I haven't seen it yet... so I'm just speaking generally. 

But I do think it's nice for Marvel to, in a "shared" Universe, to have a few movies that strike a different tone than the others a bit.  I think that's been well earned.

I don't mean any of this as a criticism of MOS or anything... simply that I think going for humor vs changing a character's essense are not moral equivilances IMHO.

Thor disagrees !

frogsofcentralpark4.jpg

Saw it tonight and had a blast.  Easily one of the best marvel movies to date.  The way they emulated the comic’s visual landscape was insane.  For the first two movies I always perceived thor as awkward and out of context but feel that was fixed this time around.  They took some risks but they really seemed to have paid off!  This will be one of the few movies I’ll watch over and over again.  

14 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I don't think I've ever seen another movie that captured the look of a comic book so perfectly before. The action and the humor worked in tandem with each other. I don't think the movie was as overly comedic as some of the reviews say. There's plenty of drama and heartfelt moments. It may be my favorite Marvel movie. The friend I went with who is not a comic book fan loved it equally. I hope Justice League is as good.

larry, this is spot-on.  what a terrific funny-book flick.  my entire group loved it.  repeat theater viewings in my future.

9 hours ago, fmaz said:

I enjoy both Marvel and DC movies when they have characters and storylines I can appreciate. And I am okay with comedy inserted into a movie, or not if it is more serious.

But the argument DC drastically altered the characters in both Man of Steel and then Batman v Superman have been brought up countless times, and countered. Superman has killed off characters such as Zod (John Byrne story), Mr. Mxyzptlk (Alan Moore story), Doomsday (Dan Jurgens story) and others. The same can be said of Batman right from his first appearance where he pushes a villain into a boiling vat of acid and Batman states "...a fitting end for his kind!"

As much as I enjoy the Marvel movies, let's be honest. They all get a pass on major alterations. Even when Doctor Strange involved a change in The Ancient One from a Tibetan man to a Caucasian/Celtic woman so as not to lose a spot in the Chinese market, the concern over the change came and went. Yet that was a major shift in a character's origin.

I'm totally okay with the comedy and characters in Thor: Ragnarok. And actors like Jeff Goldblum just being himself as the Grandmaster made the movie that much better. Where else could you get a character calling Thor 'Lord of Thunder' who comes from 'Azzburg"? But that doesn't mean this needs to be the mold for all superhero movies going forward. But it certainly worked for this one.

Turns out there was going to be a Beta Ray Bill appearance. But they pulled it for all the right reasons.

THOR: RAGNAROK: Here's Why Marvel Decided To Scrap Beta Ray Bill's Planned Cameo

During a recent interview, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige confirmed that fan-favourite hero Beta Ray Bill was at one point scheduled to make a physical appearance in the critically acclaimed threequel but that changed due to the brevity of the scene. Realizing that they couldn't do the character justice, the decision was made to scrap his cameo altogether but it sounds like Marvel is leaving the door open to him appearing down the line. 

"There was a Beta Ray Bill, but it was so quick that you would have the same complaints that you have now," Feige said. "He was in it a little bit more and it just didn’t do justice. And the feeling is, if you can’t do it justice, do it later."

So at least they went with...

Spoiler

thor%20ragnarok%20tower%20easter%20egg.j

...the Grandmaster Tower with Beta Ray Bill's likeness, in addition to Man-Thing, Ares and Bi-Beast. Though I wonder if they will ever explain the backstory why these are shown here.

thor-ragnarok-marvel-easer-eggs.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Thor 3 goes into opening Domestic Box Office opening weekend with a healthy start from the earlier International Box Office markets.

pXjDrGC.png

‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Is The Box Office God Of Thunder With $46M Friday; $115M-$120M Opening – Late Night Update

According to latenight ticket sales right now, Thor: Ragnarok has clocked a $46M opening day (including $14.5M previews) and is flying toward an opening between $115M-$120M at 4,080 theaters, the 7th best opening in November, and the 9th title to open north of $100M for the month.

CinemaScore audiences gave Thor: Ragnarok an ‘A’ CinemaScore tonight, the 12th ‘A’ earned by a Marvel Cinematic Universe title, and the highest CinemaScore ever for a Thor movie. With each movie, the audience response has gotten better moving from a B+ with Thor to A- with Thor: Dark World to now.

With an 'A' CinemaScore, it is guaranteed word-of-mouth is going to help this movie soar. How the heck 'Dark World' scored better than the first movie is beyond me. But that demonstrates some of the lack of sensitivity with these movies to a lackluster -script sometimes over the excitement to see these characters appear.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Turns out there was going to be a Beta Ray Bill appearance. But they pulled it for all the right reasons.

THOR: RAGNAROK: Here's Why Marvel Decided To Scrap Beta Ray Bill's Planned Cameo

So at least they went with...

Reveal hidden contents

thor%20ragnarok%20tower%20easter%20egg.j

...the Grandmaster Tower with Beta Ray Bill's likeness, in addition to Man-Thing, Ares and Bi-Beast. Though I wonder if they will ever explain the backstory why these are shown here.

thor-ragnarok-marvel-easer-eggs.jpg

Would’ve been great to see a BRB appearance but I’m glad they used the train of thought they did.  As a character there’s too much going for him for his first app to be insignificant.  I could even see them using The Unworthy Thor storyline (collector and a few other interesting characters) as the basis for a movie which would include a big role for BRB. 

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I was hoping to see him in the background fighting but at least I now know that they actually were considering him.  I'm still holding out hope to see him in the future (which is very likely according to this news)(thumbsu.

From Deadline this mornings update:

Sat. AM Write-thru, 8:02 AM on Friday 3rd update, 11:10PM: When Marvelboss Kevin Feige announced the title for the third Thor back in October 2014, he said that Ragnarok meant “the end of all things”. When it comes to this weekend’s box office, Thor: Ragnarok isn’t the end of anything, rather the beginning of the holiday season for exhibitors. Let their share prices soar. According to latenight ticket sales right now, Thor: Ragnarok has clocked a $46.8M opening day (including $14.5M previews) and is flying toward an opening between $116.5M-$118M+ at 4,080 theaters, the 7th best opening in November, and the 9th title to open north of $100M for the month. No wonder why other studios are envious of Marvel: Typically we expect threequels to sag in their openings, but here’s Thor:Ragnarok pouncing on all box office statistics and blasting away its 2011 opening ($65.7M) and 2013 sequel Thor: The Dark World ($85.7M).

8.5/10 for me.  

A very enjoyable movie that pleasantly surprised in some spots and let me down a little in others.

The comedy aspect worked very well and while there was a lot of it, it didn't seem forced.  The character that I was most apprehensive about was Korg, but even he had some pretty funny lines.

One of the disappointments:

Spoiler

A movie that has Ragnarok in the title, and Surtur seemed to be comedy relief and a plot advancement.  I would like to have seen more of him as an actual villain .

Could have used a little less "Immigrant Song" as I was surprised that they used it again in the final battle.  Less is more sort of thing for me.

29 minutes ago, N e r V said:

From Deadline this mornings update:

Sat. AM Write-thru, 8:02 AM on Friday 3rd update, 11:10PM: When Marvelboss Kevin Feige announced the title for the third Thor back in October 2014, he said that Ragnarok meant “the end of all things”. When it comes to this weekend’s box office, Thor: Ragnarok isn’t the end of anything, rather the beginning of the holiday season for exhibitors. Let their share prices soar. According to latenight ticket sales right now, Thor: Ragnarok has clocked a $46.8M opening day (including $14.5M previews) and is flying toward an opening between $116.5M-$118M+ at 4,080 theaters, the 7th best opening in November, and the 9th title to open north of $100M for the month. No wonder why other studios are envious of Marvel: Typically we expect threequels to sag in their openings, but here’s Thor:Ragnarok pouncing on all box office statistics and blasting away its 2011 opening ($65.7M) and 2013 sequel Thor: The Dark World ($85.7M).

Was posted earlier today one page back.

Edited by Bosco685