• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars returns to Marvel Comics

709 posts in this topic

Book with a supposed million print run is sold out and headed to a second printing. :applause: I guess you could say the demand is strong with this one...

Deceptive print run.

Sure there are 1,000,000 copies out there.

1st print regular covers : 150,000

Tops.

For a Star Wars property.

That's peanuts

And yet, for a comic (and a Star Wars comic to boot), pretty good! (thumbs u

yeah, most every non marvel comic before this has pretty much been fan fiction.

Dark Horse comics are NOT part of the new official Disney / Lucasfilm / Marvel continuity. They're now like the Age Of Apocalypse of Star Wars cannon.

Sorry.

Take a minute for that to digest.

THAT'S the big deal for the new Marvel series.

K?

At the time those Dark Horse comics where coming out, they were part of the continuity though. In fact, Lucasfilm borrowed characters from the Dark Horse comics and put them in the movies. And there was quite a bit of sharing of characters and concepts between the comics and the Clone Wars TV show. Sure, they decided to jettison the history, but that is no different than what DC does on a grand scale and what Marvel does on a mini scale all the time.

So, I'm not convinced *that* is the big deal for this series. It is a factor though.

The big deal is Marvel is publishing it and their marketing did a terrific job on getting retailers and readers excited. And kudos to them for being able to accomplish this.

I'd love to hear your opinion on the new release, rjrjr

My copies should start arriving soon and I'll do a review. I'm in San Jose on business next week so I'm writing blogs early for my Star Wars Comic Collector site so all I will need to do is publish them.

If I have time, I'll stop by a LCS in San Jose (hoping to hit Lee's Comics) and do a review, but I cannot promise anything. I will definitely do a review once I get back.

As for the overall success of the comic, I couldn't be happier. I'm hopeful Marvel will be able to retain good numbers on this and the other Star Wars titles going forward. I suspect for the first year, this should remain a top 50 title. I wish it didn't take all these variants for this comic to be so successful. I know that is the state of the market today. What would really help keep these comics relevant is if they introduced a character in the comic that will appear in the new movies. I don't think they need to pre-announce this (although I suspect they would.) If they did that, I can see them retaining some momentum.

Sometime in the next few months, I want to figure out what some of the lowest print numbers are for Star Wars titles. The Valiant Fans website has this information for Valiant comics and I'd like to figure this out for the Star Wars titles. I suspect it will be a title like the Dark Horse Classics: Dark Empire #1 (a reprint title.) I know the mini-comic the Mixed Up Droid and the red covered Star Wars Rebellion 1 (2nd print) are some of the harder to find comics. And when it comes to variants, last summer's Atlanta Wizard World Comic Con sketch variant at 500 copies sticks out in my mind as being the lowest.

So I just read #1, and I really enjoyed it.

Very cool cliffhanger!

Didn't Aaron get Han Solo's(Harrison Ford) attitude perfectly.

I'm NOT trying to be: Speculate on this book guy.

It's a BAD long term play.

John Cassaday couldn't have "nailed" the characters better.

Jaw dropping.

I get it. He'll fall behind schedule with issue four & we'll get fill in art.

Right now, I'm happy.

:D

Once this comic starts shipping late, it will be like the property is back at Dark Horse. In the past few years, Dark Horse has better, but for a while they were horrible at getting comics out on time. I still think that was the biggest contributor to the downfall of the Dark Key titles. :sorry:

Yeah I only bought the one regular #1, but I may dip in the variant pond after the fire goes out.

I'm impressed with issue #1 for sure.

I wish I had done this. Ordered early through DCBS because they usually have the best prices, instead I got price gouged on the Quesada color variant for $25 more than what it's been retailing for everywhere else. :sorry:

Lesson learned.

Locally all the cover price variants have almost sold out. The other higher end variants are all sitting except the store variant which sold fast.

Scottie young variants are almost all gone as well as the blank variants. My store ordered heavily and still sold well. So looks like Young and JSC variants sold the best here while other higher end variants are sitting currently. I am sure that will change eventually.

All this should really pan out more in about a month when online orders start show up in masses. Right now retailers will clean up for at least another week or two then online books get delivered and the glut really hits.

I bought the regular version. My LCS had lots of regular and several variant versions still left. All of the regular versions had the same upper left corner damage and cover rubbing, so I didn't see a copy above 9.2 & bought a scuffed one to read and get the digital download on my phone.

At my LCS the Ross variant sold within minutes for $25 and they went through 3 of the action figure cover (very cool). They still had several variants at $20 each, incl the Scottie Young, JSCampbell, and 2-3 others. The action figure cover would look schweet in a slab as a conversation piece "oh I had that figure, wait it's a comic!?"

My closest LCS was out of the figure variant the day after as well as basically all the others as too. I didn't ask them how many they ordered or anything, but did find out they charged $7.99 for the figure cover.

On a side note, I read the book and enjoyed it well enough, but can't even fathom what makes that book worth $4.99 cover price. Come on Marvel, quit gouging readers for more money than a comic is worthy of. Especially one that just sold 1991 #'s.