• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars returns to Marvel Comics

709 posts in this topic

I guess I did speculate.

My shop ordered 2,000+ Star Wars #1's.

The one million+ print run has me a bit paranoid, so I just reviewed my order.

My cost roughly $4,500

The edge I'm getting is the incentive variants that the shops emptying their bank accounts for shop variants are going to for the most part miss.

My gut:

STAR WARS #1 BLANK Variant ( no worries here, these will sell eternally in my show stock at $5-$10 depending on guest list. Money in the bank )

STAR WARS #1 CHRISTOPHER ACTION FIGURE Variant. ( should sell great at cover price for a month then I can't see it not being an infrequent seller in the $10 range. )

STAR WARS #1 CHRISTOPHER HUMOROUS PARTY Variant. ( Humorous cover, will be lucky to sell at cover price. meh. )

STAR WARS #1 1:20 PICHELLI Variant ( Dead weight. meh. Loss )

STAR WARS #1 YOUNG Variant ( I'm easily going to sell 50-100 at cover price. My customers adore SY )

STAR WARS #1 ROSS SKETCH 1:500 Variant ( If my 3 copies are nm, I'll get $400 ea. I have existing customers )

STAR WARS #1 ROSS 1:50 Variant ( I'm going to get $40 x 30 easily on this book. This is the most requested in my shop. )

STAR WARS #1 QUESADA 1:300 SKETCH VARIANT ( struggle to get 5 X $100 for this mediocre cover. )

STAR WARS #1 QUESADA 1:100 color variant ( honestly lucky to get 15 x $10.meh )

STAR WARS #1 MOVIE Variant ( dead weight. loss )

STAR WARS #1 1:25 MCLEOD Variant ( dead weight loss, I do not have a single copyon preorder )

STAR WARS #1 CASSADAY 1:25 TEASER Variant ( another stink bomb. Loss )

STAR WARS #1 CAMPBELL CONNECTING VAR A ( ca$h money. NO problem moving 50 at cover price then 50+ $10+ )

STAR WARS #1 regular 1st print cover. ( 1,500 copies will sell forever. Some at cover price, some at a dollar. Some at $10. This book will NEVER not sell.It's money in the bank )

I feel "ok" with my order. I'm glad that I did not go for the shop variant. ( I was VERY close to pulling that trigger )

It will be a year long grind, but there is ca$h to be made here for shops, but little meat on the bone for speculators.

( screening & signature series opportunities do abound for collectors though )

There will be 5,000 "collectors" in for a penny, in for a pound on these. They will build sets.

Let's see how it plays out.

I would recommend against this book long term. There is more to be made in the 1st series.

I agree, BUT - if anyone wants to slab them, I don't have a problem with it.

;)

-HIPPO

Freaking Hippos and their bad investment advice....

:sorry: :lol: :whistle:

-slym

I guess I did speculate.

My shop ordered 2,000+ Star Wars #1's.

The one million+ print run has me a bit paranoid, so I just reviewed my order.

My cost roughly $4,500

The edge I'm getting is the incentive variants that the shops emptying their bank accounts for shop variants are going to for the most part miss.

My gut:

STAR WARS #1 BLANK Variant ( no worries here, these will sell eternally in my show stock at $5-$10 depending on guest list. Money in the bank )

STAR WARS #1 CHRISTOPHER ACTION FIGURE Variant. ( should sell great at cover price for a month then I can't see it not being an infrequent seller in the $10 range. )

STAR WARS #1 CHRISTOPHER HUMOROUS PARTY Variant. ( Humorous cover, will be lucky to sell at cover price. meh. )

STAR WARS #1 1:20 PICHELLI Variant ( Dead weight. meh. Loss )

STAR WARS #1 YOUNG Variant ( I'm easily going to sell 50-100 at cover price. My customers adore SY )

STAR WARS #1 ROSS SKETCH 1:500 Variant ( If my 3 copies are nm, I'll get $400 ea. I have existing customers )

STAR WARS #1 ROSS 1:50 Variant ( I'm going to get $40 x 30 easily on this book. This is the most requested in my shop. )

STAR WARS #1 QUESADA 1:300 SKETCH VARIANT ( struggle to get 5 X $100 for this mediocre cover. )

STAR WARS #1 QUESADA 1:100 color variant ( honestly lucky to get 15 x $10.meh )

STAR WARS #1 MOVIE Variant ( dead weight. loss )

STAR WARS #1 1:25 MCLEOD Variant ( dead weight loss, I do not have a single copyon preorder )

STAR WARS #1 CASSADAY 1:25 TEASER Variant ( another stink bomb. Loss )

STAR WARS #1 CAMPBELL CONNECTING VAR A ( ca$h money. NO problem moving 50 at cover price then 50+ $10+ )

STAR WARS #1 regular 1st print cover. ( 1,500 copies will sell forever. Some at cover price, some at a dollar. Some at $10. This book will NEVER not sell.It's money in the bank )

I feel "ok" with my order. I'm glad that I did not go for the shop variant. ( I was VERY close to pulling that trigger )

It will be a year long grind, but there is ca$h to be made here for shops, but little meat on the bone for speculators.

( screening & signature series opportunities do abound for collectors though )

There will be 5,000 "collectors" in for a penny, in for a pound on these. They will build sets.

Let's see how it plays out.

Actually, when you break it down, there a bunch of good sellers in there. I think you'll do well. I'm personally not speculating on these but there are some, like the homage, funny cover, and the action figure that I'm going to buy. I can see a lot of pure collectors going bonkers when this hits. (thumbs u

I woke up this morning, surfed to my favorite comic and Star Wars themed sites, and... noticed there was no newly announced Star Wars 1 exclusive cover. I'm feeling incomplete today.

60+ exclusive covers just doesn't feel like enough. :eyeroll:

I cant find the thinkgeek variant anywhere, has anyone had better luck?

Thinkgeek Star Wars #1 variant

It hasn't been made available yet. I assume they are waiting for the release date.

So, my biggest concern with all these variants has to do with the condition these comics are going to arrive in. I just made a bunch of purchases and I'm hoping these things are packed well and my postman doesn't get sick of all the packages that are set to arrive. I know from past experience, places like Midtown don't always pack well and for the price these variants are going to set me back, I'm hoping this is going to be a pleasant experience, not a disaster.

:wishluck:

And yes, I did purchase one of every variant I am aware of.

So, has anyone else ordered all these variants? I'm trying to picture the face on my postman the week these start hitting. I just hope he takes it in stride and doesn't get sick of all the packages. I'm thinking about giving him a heads up next week.

It is normal for 5 or so packages to come in one week. But this is potentially 40+ packages.

I am also thankful Marvel has slowed down the onslaught of variants for subsequent issues and titles. I still think any limited variant is one too many but my OCD got the best of me here. I have to say, if this didn't cure it (and it didn't) I don't know what will!

I'm glad rumors of 100 different variants didn't transpire. (I don't count signed copies as variants, just the different covers.)