• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America: Civil War official movie thread (5/6/16)

2,267 posts in this topic

Civil War title probably implies that.

Why won't people just say the real truth. Since Avengers, they been drawing out the arrival of Thanos.

If you ask me, we should have had Thanos show up already but Disney saw the money in Avengers and decided to milk this cow for as much as possible.

How has the MCU evolved with it's core characters since Avengers?

The only one that has was Winter Soldier.

Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Age of Ultron were unnecessary in terms of advancing the story from Avengers, GOTG

In IM3 Tony Stark suffers from PTSD after the Battle in New York and subsequently destroys his Iron Man suits. He has the shrapnel removed from his chest and promises Pepper to change his ways.

In Thor 2, Loki convinces everyone he's dead, then takes control of Asgard's throne under the guise of Odin.

In Cap2, S.H.I.E.L.D. is compromised and left in disarray while Fury appears to die and covertly returns. Cap is left to question his role in this new age.

In Avengers 2, Stark reneges on his promise to Pepper along with inadvertently jeopardizing humanity through his creation of Ultron.

Thor becomes aware Asgard is in danger.

A relationship develops between Natasha and Banner. Banner leaves the Avengers.

The rift between Rogers and Stark grows, setting up Civil War.

New gems get introduced throughout the movies.

Other than that, along the introduction of six new characters, (Falcon, Winter Soldier,Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision & Ant-Man) - nothing has happened. :)

Zack Snyder would have fit all of this in the first 30 min of the movie

:whee:

Why won't people just say the real truth. Since Avengers, they been drawing out the arrival of Thanos.

If you ask me, we should have had Thanos show up already but Disney saw the money in Avengers and decided to milk this cow for as much as possible.

Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Age of Ultron were unnecessary in terms of advancing the story from Avengers, GOTG

In IM3 Tony Stark suffers from PTSD after the Battle in New York and subsequently destroys his Iron Man suits. He has the shrapnel removed from his chest and promises Pepper to change his ways.

In Thor 2, Loki convinces everyone he's dead, then takes control of Asgard's throne under the guise of Odin.

In Cap2, S.H.I.E.L.D. is compromised and left in disarray while Fury appears to die and covertly returns. Cap is left to question his role in this new age.

In Avengers 2, Stark reneges on his promise to Pepper along with inadvertently jeopardizing humanity through his creation of Ultron.

Other than that, along the introduction of six new characters, (Falcon, Winter Soldier,Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision & Ant-Man) - nothing has happened. :)

:applause:

Zack Snyder would have fit all of this in the first 30 min of the movie

:whee:

lol So true.

You know, I'm starting to think the lack of Spidey in promos is mostly due to Marvel choosing to focus on the fact that it's a Cap/Avengers story that is simply improved by Spidey's minor inclusion, as opposed to being the reason people should come see the movie.

I could see the studio hypothetically choosing to play on Spidey's popularity and accidentally promoting him too much, leading to huge disappointment come release day.

It makes a lot of sense to me now. hm

Yeah, I like the restraint shown here. One thing that bugged me about AoU was the 33 clips they released before the film came out...very few surprises after that amount of pre-viewing excess. (I learned my lesson from that and am avoiding as many Civil War clips as I can...really my fault for watching too many of the AoU ones.)

One brief clip of Spidey is great --- go see the movie and enjoy the rest of it in the (gasp!) actual theater.

D

I wonder if it hurt when his inner child finally died.

I saw that review over at rotten Tomatoes.

1 bad review out of 18 total.

Not too shabby; though I'm sure there'll be more.

Can't please everyone.

I think this quote, from the author of the review, adds valuable context.

" I found Captain America: The Winter Soldier to be not just the greatest superhero film of the past decade, but one of the greatest films in any genre"

Interesting.

Im looking forward to the SvB lovers with a chip on their shoulder from critic lambasting coming into the thread and complaining about how bad the movie is... (regardless of how good/bad it is).

Im looking forward to seeing the movie, since the Captain America titles have had the best track record so far IMHO (thought both were great).

Im looking forward to someone posting conspiracy theories if the CW critic reviews are good as opposed to the bad SvB reviews (Marvel MUST be paying them off right?)

off topic-ish... Anyone ever listen to the Comic Geek Speak podcast? They had a recurring call in character know as "Drunk Cap" who would call in every now and then... I miss that guy...

Im looking forward to the SvB lovers with a chip on their shoulder from critic lambasting coming into the thread and complaining about how bad the movie is... (regardless of how good/bad it is).

Im looking forward to seeing the movie, since the Captain America titles have had the best track record so far IMHO (thought both were great).

Im looking forward to someone posting conspiracy theories if the CW critic reviews are good as opposed to the bad SvB reviews (Marvel MUST be paying them off right?)

off topic-ish... Anyone ever listen to the Comic Geek Speak podcast? They had a recurring call in character know as "Drunk Cap" who would call in every now and then... I miss that guy...

Santa Claus must have loved your holiday wish list.

:baiting:

I'm going to see it and I know already that any of my criticism will be met with BVS syndrome.

The fact is that people give Marvel the benefit of the doubt when they make little changes that irk me

They give a pass because enough goodwill has been created. I don't buy that. I'm still amazed at the pass AOU got from the boards.

Looking forward to seeing Spiderman and Black Panther. Too bad Bucky misses Starks face

I will also add that right off the bat (no pun intended) comparisons will be made with both movies. They are completely different and their purpose is completely different. It's going to be unfair to compare them as one has 10+ films built into their storyline vs 1

I will also add that right off the bat (no pun intended) comparisons will be made with both movies. They are completely different and their purpose is completely different. It's going to be unfair to compare them as one has 10+ films built into their storyline vs 1

you are right about this. there will be comparisons, and it will be unfair.

With that being said....DC KNEW Civil War was coming...DC knows they are ALWAYS compared to Marvel in everything they do. THEY KNEW the comparisons would come, fair or not. And there is no requirement or assumption of fairness in the game. And THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that with that director and that -script, they simply could not get a GREAT 2.5 hour movie that DESPERATELY NEEDS TO BE A WORLD-BUILDING SUPERHIT, and these are very smart people who get paid millions of dollars to KNOW EXACTLY THAT ONE THING.

Even if we gave DC the benefit of the doubt, letting them play from the ladies tee, they still hit it a bit too hard, and knocked it into the rough past the hole (its a Par 3) with a bit of slice, by trying to do too much. Especially after MOS was more or less a bogey. BvS was probably ultimately a par, but it was an easy hole and they really expected and needed a birdie. And its not Marvel's fault that GL was pure POS (triple bogey+mulligan?).

DC KNEW that they were trying something in their second movie that Marvel was trying in their 13th movie, and that they would be directly compared, and they did it anyways. Some might call it brave. Some might call it something else...

Just think of it as Marvel is on the Back 9, and DC just finished its 2nd hole.

Iron Man (Double birdie)

Hulk (bogey)

Iron Man 2 (Par)

Thor (Par)

Cap 1 (Birdie)

Avengers (Double Birdie)

Iron Man 3 (Par)

Thor 2 (Bogey IMO, but it was a tough Par 5)

Cap 2 (Double birdie or hole-in-one on a Par 4)

GOTG (Double Birdie on a Par 5)

Avengers 2 (Par, should have been an easy birdie though)

Ant-Man (Par)

MOS (bogey)

BVS (Par, but should have been an easy birdie with a possible Hole in One)