• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Zack Snyder shows off his AFI Award for his work on ‘Wonder Woman’

mPmSDoO.png

The American Film Institute held its AFI Awards this afternoon, and Wonder Woman was recognized as one of ten “Movies of the Year”. Justice League director Zack Snyder was a producer on Wonder Woman (he also co-wrote the story) and received an award for his work on the movie.

“What a great time,” Snyder wrote on Vero, where he showed off his AFI Award. Snyder, Gadot, Brooklynn Prince and the legendary Steven Spielberg posed for a photo at the AFI Awards.

ukezKgG.png

Family rented this last night. 11 year old lost interest within half an hour. Wife bailed at the halfway point. Hard for me to see what the hype was about. Admittedly I am totally burnt out with super hero movies at the moment but I was surprised the young one didn't like it.

Edited by RedRaven

Comic book movies win again!

'Wonder Woman' Wins Best Action Movie at 2018 Critics' Choice Awards

Wonder Woman is taking home more than one honor during tonight's Critics' Choice Awards.

The DC Extended Universe film won the award for Best Action Movie. Also in the same category were Thor: Ragnarok, Logan, Baby Driver, and War for the Planet of the Apes.

This award is the second recognition that Wonder Woman has received during the Critics' Choice Awards, with star Gal Gadot taking home the #SeeHer award for positive female representation in media.

This is just the latest award that Wonder Woman has received thus far this season. But with a prolific "For Your Consideration" Oscar campaign being launched by Warner Bros., there's a chance it won't be the last one.

I do think LOGAN should have been the clear winner. But at least it went to a CBM.

This surprised me yesterday. hm 

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/why-didnt-wonder-woman-get-any-oscar-nominations.html

http://ew.com/movies/2018/01/23/wonder-woman-snubbed-oscar/

Considering Wolverine's nom.

Now I enjoyed the heck out of both movies mind you, but I figured WW was a lock in the effects categories.

I'm actually surprised people think WW should be up for any Academy Awards...it's a fine movie, but apart from its fresh distinctiveness within the genre, there's nothing about the writing, acting, directing, or effects that made it stand out to me from a host of other films, superhero or otherwise.

Dan

I agree. While the movie wasn't bad, it was for the most part nothing extraordinary aside from a solid woman based superhero movie.

Nothing about the story effects etc were above par. If anything many green screen effects stood out as kind of subpar.

2 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I must have missed something somewhere, but why do you keep saying this to him in every thread? 

So as not to make it look like you are exaggerating, you mean in two threads - right? And I wasn't the first one to ask him this. I was the third.

Now, do you really need me to clear up why he is asked that question when he makes it a point to post just the negatives about these movies?

WONDER WOMAN Star Gal Gadot Responds To The Film Failing To Pick Up Any Academy Award Nominations

With Diana's first solo big-screen adventure failing to pick up even a technical nomination, many are viewing it as the biggest snub of the year.

Gal Gadot was asked about this during an interview with ET, and while she was moved by the fan-response, she was quick to point out that they didn't make Wonder Woman for any awards glory.

"I was very moved and touched by the feedback of all the people that were disappointed that ‘Wonder Woman’ wasn’t nominated, but we certainly never did the movie for that. I think that you can’t have it all. We’ve done this movie and it was received in such an amazing, wonderful way, and we want to stay humble and grateful, and we’re going to have another movie, so who knows? Maybe the next one!"

Good on her!

:applause:

Wonder Woman enters All-Time Best-Selling Blu-ray list

According to the-numbers.com, Wonder Woman is now #40 on the All-Time Best-Selling Blu-ray Titles in the United States. Keep in mind, this list is based on units sold, not revenue. Wonder Woman sits with over 2.5 million copies sold. This beats Marvel Cinematic Universe titles like Iron Man 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and The Avengers: Age of Ultron.  In fact, Age of Ultron rounds out the list at #50. In comparison to these Marvel titles, this is quite the feat. Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron have been out longer. Hence, these numbers are to date, roughly. Age of Ultron was also a billion dollar maker at the box office. You have Guardians, like the Avengers which has a pre-existing audience, plus it came out almost a month before Wonder Woman.

Man of Steel actually resides at #19 on the all-time list. However, she out-sells Man of Steel in Blu-ray revenue. The goddess also beats Batman v Superman in both total revenue and Blu-Ray sales. In fact, she is three spots above Batman v Superman on the all-time list. Finally, she tops Suicide Squad in both Blu-ray units sold and revenue.

To date, Wonder Woman has brought in almost $90 million in revenue. Over $16 million of this is from DVD sales and the other $73 million is from Blu-ray sales. Overall, Wonder Woman has sold over 3.5 million units, DVD and Blu-ray combined. Keep in mind, these numbers are a bit behind, given it takes time to track all of the numbers. Hence, these sales do not reflect anything past last December. Nonetheless, it is quite possible our favorite heroine will continue to break records and dethrone other films on the list.

Deadline.com is kicking off its movie profits competition for 2017 movies.

No. 6 ‘Wonder Woman’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

THE BOTTOM LINE

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice generated more in overall revenues than Wonder Woman, $681.5M to $659.1M. But Jenkins’ movie yields an astounding 139% more in profit with $252.9M.

48lOfMg.jpg

The next one on the list.

No. 7 ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

What a difference it makes having Marvel involved: Spider-Man: Homecoming generated $200.1M in profit, 184% more than the $70.3M earned by the 2014 webslinger title The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

okGrnbj.jpg

Those may all be well and good.

But I'd wager without lookinig at the list that Get Out was the most profitable blockbuster last year.

$176 million domestic gross on a reported $4.5 million budget.

Oh - and it one an Oscar for Best Screenplay and nominations for Best Director, Actor, and Picture.

And for those who claim "it wasn't a blockbuster," recall that $176 million domestic is more than 75% of Justice League's $229 million domestic total.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Those may all be well and good.

But I'd wager without lookinig at the list that Get Out was the most profitable blockbuster last year.

$176 million domestic gross on a reported $4.5 million budget.

Oh - and it one an Oscar for Best Screenplay and nominations for Best Director, Actor, and Picture.

And for those who claim "it wasn't a blockbuster," recall that $176 million domestic is more than 75% of Justice League's $229 million domestic total.

It is #1. $700MM WW on a $35MM budget.  JL may make the list as they are going to do the Top 5 financial bombs.

Edited by paperheart

Yeah - I'm pretty sure it was the profitable movie last year; my post was mainly whether it qualifed as a blockbuster -- which some could limit to "studio tentpole" or "film that cost $100 million+ designed to make $300 million+ domestic."

Profitablity =/= blockbuster, else the dozen or so low-budget horror movies (Blumhouse or not) would all be *blockbusters.*

Example: Don't Breathe (2016). Reportely cost <$10 million. Grossed $89 million domestic, $157 million WW.

Profitable. Not a blockbuster.