• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

No international box office updates just yet. But the domestic-side of things had a decent weekend run of $1.92M based on current estimates in her 14th weekend. Not bad!

oVhNjhc.png

dpZZndv.png

Edited by Bosco685

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Passes 'Captain America'

Wonder Woman earned another $445,000 (-9%) over the Fri-Sun weekend, putting its domestic total at $408.9M. That pushes it past The Hunger Games and Captain America: Civil War, for 21st place in all-time (unadjusted) domestic box office history. And it’ll have around $409.5M by the end of the holiday, meaning it’ll pass Iron Man 3 ($409M) tomorrow to become the fifth-biggest superhero movie ever in North America (behind The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises) and the 20th-biggest domestic grosser of all time.

Who saw all of this coming? Definitely a movie that has blown past all realistic estimates.

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Passes 'Captain America'

Who saw all of this coming? Definitely a movie that has blown past all realistic estimates.

We'll see those are better than last weekend's numbers. Guardians and BvS area domestically is where I would have put this film's total at after opening weekend. 

Yet who could of predicted a strong women crowd that no other comic film has had continually keeping this film alive as long as they have. The scary thing is that this film could be at 410 million at the end of this Friday.

Just curious to see the Dropoff the following weekend when It comes out

Patty Jenkins Didn't Expect 'Wonder Woman' To Be So Well-Received

Recently, Patty Jenkins sat down with director Richard Donner for The Director’s Cut (via CinemaBlend) to talk superhero films. It was there the director told Donner she approached Wonder Woman’s debut with a braced attitude.

“I went into the release of the movie assuming it would be, in best case, a mixed bag. And I sort of braced myself for it, where I thought, well, 'Listen, you're doing a beloved superhero; it's always going to end up being at least 40%, oh you could have done, blah blah blah.’”

Continuing, Jenkins said, “So, the support and positivity that the movie has received, and also just the people wanting to talk about what we wanted to talk about in the movie and not other things, has been stunning.”

8 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Yet who could of predicted a strong women crowd that no other comic film has had continually keeping this film alive as long as they have.

:hi:

I was expecting it to do well based on the SS experience. As I have posted here a number of times, all of the girls/women I knew of between 12 - 25 saw SS 2 - 4 times. It was a no brainer with WW as well. 

This is a huge untapped area for comic movies. When I look at how many new female collectors/readers have entered the market since DC New 52 and the Image 2012 crop of new books (Rat Queens and Saga especially) it was a no brainer that the first studio to launch strong female leads would have a gold mine on their hands. I am shocked that Marvel did not do this with Black Widow, to be honest. My wife and daughter both asked me if there would be a solo Widow film after the first Avengers. Disney/Marvel missed the boat if that was not a question in their post-viewing market research.

FWIW, I would like to see Saga adapted for an ongoing TV show. That would be a huge hit with the female viewership.

4 hours ago, kimik said:

:hi:

I was expecting it to do well based on the SS experience. As I have posted here a number of times, all of the girls/women I knew of between 12 - 25 saw SS 2 - 4 times. It was a no brainer with WW as well. 

This is a huge untapped area for comic movies. When I look at how many new female collectors/readers have entered the market since DC New 52 and the Image 2012 crop of new books (Rat Queens and Saga especially) it was a no brainer that the first studio to launch strong female leads would have a gold mine on their hands. I am shocked that Marvel did not do this with Black Widow, to be honest. My wife and daughter both asked me if there would be a solo Widow film after the first Avengers. Disney/Marvel missed the boat if that was not a question in their post-viewing market research.

FWIW, I would like to see Saga adapted for an ongoing TV show. That would be a huge hit with the female viewership.

The difference is WW represents all women and feminism. So WW's appeal is larger and why it is still performing well. SS did not perform this well on a weekly basis and benefited being an august release with no competition.

No other female superhero can perform as well as Wonder Woman with getting women to come and see the film in the US

sxXOQBj.png

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Ends Summer By Soaring Past 'Iron Man 3'

And the goal post gets moved yet again. We’ve gone from “I hope Wonder Woman opens with at least $85 million” to “Hmm, if it’s leggy it might get to $280m” to “Wow, it might get to $375m,” to “Yeah, it’s clearing $400m domestic,” to “Hey, it just might get to $410m,” and now (finally?) “Hmm, I wonder if it can get to $415m?” Yup, on today, its 95th day of release, the Gal Gadot/Chris Pine superhero adventure movie has cleared $409.1m domestic. That means, inflation notwithstanding, the film is the fifth-biggest superhero movie of all time in North America, behind only The Dark Knight Rises ($448m), Avengers: Age of Ultron ($459m), The Dark Knight ($534m) and The Avengers ($623m).

The film crossed The Hunger Games ($408 million), Captain America: Civil War ($408m) and Iron Man 3 ($409m) just this weekend, getting a boost from the previous weekend’s IMAX rerelease even as the picture entered the post-theatrical realm via Digital HD this past Tuesday. Conventional wisdom says it’s pretty much finished, but there might be just enough gas to get past Toy Story 3 ($415m) to be the 19th-biggest domestic grosser of all time, again not counting for inflation. Of course, all of this is before Walt Disney's The Last Jedi opens in December, and that’s presuming Justice League can’t match Wonder Woman’s domestic total. That’s a conversation for another day. Ironically, it is just one Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. release to almost be too leggy.

The $150 million picture has earned $812m worldwide, putting it within spitting distance of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them ($814m). Wonder Woman is doing fine in Japan, with $7.5m after ten days in Japan. It’s not going crazy there (-39%), but it should end with around $15m. So, assuming the domestic number stops at around $413m, it looks like Wonder Woman’s global take should end up around $825M, give or take.

Patty Jenkins can count on the full backing of WB/DC to make the sequel an even bigger hit.

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/31/2017 at 4:49 PM, Callaway29 said:

Lol, I don't think she was implying there were previous candidates, not that I would have a problem with that...for my own amusement I'll say Jessica Biel. :cloud9:

You'll probably get more amusement by asking her and seeing if she blushes. lol

Japan has brought in $7.5M as of 9/4. China has contributed $90.5M as of 9/4. Not bad!

Based on current estimates, that puts the film at $813.2M worldwide, and 5.5X production budget.

vtUM1t9.png

Edited by Bosco685

FORBES>COM: 'Wonder Woman' Tops $410M U.S.

Speaking of Wonder Woman, if I may skip around a moment, the Gal Gadot actioner earned $160,000 (-60%) on Friday, which is its first real drop over the last three months as it lost 877 screens. On the plus side, the film crossed the $410M mark in North America yesterday, and it should end the frame with $410.5M. If it makes it to $413.1M, it’ll have a 4x multiplier.

One of the Forbes.com contributors, who is also a former movie producer, did an assessment back in July where Wonder Woman would do well versus run into hurdles. Interesting to see where he was right.

'Wonder Woman' Around The World: Where It's Hot, Where It's Not

North America. What Wonder Woman had going for it in North America was wide awareness of and affection for the character.

China. The world’s second-largest box office market, the People’s Republic of China is a territory that takes a while to warm up to most new superhero franchises. The first Captain America feature, The First Avenger, earned just $14 million there; the latest, Civil War, hauled in $181 million. The film has wound up with an $89 million gross there, a solid result that equates to 24.5% of Wonder Woman’s total foreign box office so far. So I’d call that result hot.

Japan. Hollywood superhero movies tend to under-perform there—Batman v Superman earned only $16 million in Japan, and Suicide Squad even less—so it would be a surprise if Wonder Woman did much business there.

India. The biggest American movie ever to release there was last year’s Jungle Book, which earned only $24 million there, or 4% of its overseas gross, even though India represents 7% of the non-North American movie market. It's understandable then that Warner Bros. didn’t give Wonder Woman much of a chance there, arranging a modest 349-screen release, with English-language prints only, and none dubbed in local languages.

France. The French-speaking territory that includes not only France but also Monaco, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco, didn’t spark to Wonder Woman the way even the UK did, delivering about $13 million so far.

Russia. Like Germany, Russia will reward Wonder Woman with only about a third of the total box office that it showered on the last two DCEU movies. Russia is generally speaking a lousy place to be female, and the same goes for Diana Prince. Not hot.

Middle East. I don't want to paint this diverse region with too broad a brush, but the Arab world’s reaction to Wonder Woman has generally been pretty awful.

I didn't realize WB had pulled back on India box office distribution because it accounted for a lack of interest.