• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The essence of cool

68 posts in this topic

Tough to compete with folks here, but I've always thought this cover had it all going on: J. Allen St. John cover in grade, giant scorpion, damsel in distress, 1930's vibe, classic title. I'm no completionist, but I do collect the "essence of cool".

IMGP3941.jpg

Only thing cooler than this cover would be owning the original.

zJAllenStJohnSM_zpsc04e632d.jpg

Tough to compete with folks here, but I've always thought this cover had it all going on: J. Allen St. John cover in grade, giant scorpion, damsel in distress, 1930's vibe, classic title. I'm no completionist, but I do collect the "essence of cool".

IMGP3941.jpg

Only thing cooler than this cover would be owning the original.

zJAllenStJohnSM_zpsc04e632d.jpg

:applause: Awesome book, Ryan, and the drool-factor is heavy for that St. John original!

In GA comics, other than acquiring the orig. B&W cover art, it doesn't get much cooler or scorchin' hot than this... :cloud9:

05d686a8-7e34-4a85-ad36-2b86c5c913b4_zps5e90fcd3.jpg1b7d26ec-9af8-4973-9357-cbeff7627435_zpsb2ceb777.jpg

Edowens mentioned none of those things in his initial post, and they certainly were not easily gleaned from the non-descript Blackhawk cover.

(shrug)

Serious collectors should learn to recognize the peds and what makes them interesting. :baiting:

Here's a little research for you... :gossip:

http://www.comicpedigrees.com/pedigrees.php#OKAJIMA

Nah, skip the web site and wait for the book. It should be out any day now. :D

Edowens mentioned none of those things in his initial post, and they certainly were not easily gleaned from the non-descript Blackhawk cover.

(shrug)

Serious collectors should learn to recognize the peds and what makes them interesting. :baiting:

Here's a little research for you... :gossip:

http://www.comicpedigrees.com/pedigrees.php#OKAJIMA

Nah, skip the web site and wait for the book. It should be out any day now. :D

:roflmao:

Hey we all have a sweet few we love to death.That's what makes this such a great place to see books we would only see in the Gerbers.All books are cool in the eyes of the collector who posts them :)

I put this up on the Centaur thread never really gave it's credit due.But it is one cool cover with a Flash Gordon feel of the past and it has moved way up on my love it list :)

102_5450_zpsa33f2a19.jpg

I put this up on the Centaur thread never really gave it it's credit due.But it is one cool cover with a Flash Gordon feel of the past and it has moved way up on my love it list :)

102_5450_zpsa33f2a19.jpg

Vibrant colors on that copy. (thumbs u

I put this up on the Centaur thread never really gave it it's credit due.But it is one cool cover with a Flash Gordon feel of the past and it has moved way up on my love it list :)

102_5450_zpsa33f2a19.jpg

yep, very cool cover!

I put this up on the Centaur thread never really gave it's credit due.But it is one cool cover with a Flash Gordon feel of the past and it has moved way up on my love it list :)

102_5450_zpsa33f2a19.jpg

nice book CJ. Again, you have an eye for esoteric cool!

102_5450_zpsa33f2a19.jpg

yep, very cool cover!

I don't like it. It's kind of bland. Not much going on, and the colors aren't interesting.

Um yeah I am kidding...

Love the guy who stopped in the middle of the fight so he could wipe blood off of his sword.

Rarity is the most cool thing to me so this is the only copy that I know that exists.

It is the Wisco Klarer uncut version and is so rare that OS only gives an estimated value.

So I think this is cool as a fool in a swimming pool!

Wisco001.jpg

I love a good story, especially from authors that are destined to be great. This pulp is the first publication of Isaac Asimov, one of the very best Sci-Fi authors and likely the most prolific of modern times. It is always interesting to see how they got started and established, especially when they were rejected a few times beforehand!

Scan0023_zpsf08f994f.jpg

Rarity is the most cool thing to me so this is the only copy that I know that exists.

It is the Wisco Klarer uncut version and is so rare that OS only gives an estimated value.

So I think this is cool as a fool in a swimming pool!

Wisco001.jpg

I love seeing rare books like this one that I'd otherwise not even know existed. You've got some of the best. Very cool!!!